Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 45805

Replies : 1885

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep 16th, 2020, 13:29   #1701
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986
 
john.wigley's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 20:59
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Leicestershire
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Thank you for that vote Clifford. No one will be pretending the RB has a V8 motor, so I see your point.

I think I'll see what the standard pipe looks like before I decide. I suspect it will be perfectly good, but a little bit of me would like to keep some of the RB's history - even the slightly naff bits :-)

Alan
It could have, though, Alan, had it not been for the oil crisis in the mid seventies. Volvo were at that time developing a V8 to rival the likes of the Rover SD1. On reflection, it was decided that in the circumstances this was not such a good idea and is the reason why the V6 motor in the 262/4/5 is a 90, and not 60, degree vee unit.

What a fine car that might have been had they held their nerve. A missed opportunity, I think. Pleased that you're continuing to enjoy the R.B.; do you think you'll ever run out of things to do?!

Regards, John.
__________________
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana .....
john.wigley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to john.wigley For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2020, 13:42   #1702
Othen
Premier Member
 
Othen's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 22:09
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Corby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
Alan: ~
Another forum post exists regarding the rear box & rust etc. - it just involved drilling a small drain hole in the box central and just enough to allow condensation out. The middle box is also reasonable priced.
Should your car be fitted with the S shape tail pipe? Rather than the 90 degree bend-I found this type initially made a lot of condensation on the rear screen so went back to the snake!
Regards Bob
Thank you Bob,

I'll try to find that thread - it has never made sense to me to have such a condensation trap in the back box - which probably doesn't get hot enough to boil off the water vapour if the car is used for short journeys (as I suspect the RB may have been - 108,000 miles in 40 years). Many manufacturers seem to design the back box like that though; do you think having a hole (however deliberately placed) in the exhaust would be legal (not that the RB is liable for MoT tests any more)?

I'll see what sort of tailpipe the new back box comes with. If it is the S type I'll certainly try that out first. As Dave suggests I'll hang on to the L shaped one (with the twin tail attached) - access under the back of the 244 is so good it would only take 10 minutes to swap them at some time later to compare them.

Alan
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2020, 13:56   #1703
Othen
Premier Member
 
Othen's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 22:09
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Corby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
It could have, though, Alan, had it not been for the oil crisis in the mid seventies. Volvo were at that time developing a V8 to rival the likes of the Rover SD1. On reflection, it was decided that in the circumstances this was not such a good idea and is the reason why the V6 motor in the 262/4/5 is a 90, and not 60, degree vee unit.

What a fine car that might have been had they held their nerve. A missed opportunity, I think. Pleased that you're continuing to enjoy the R.B.; do you think you'll ever run out of things to do?!

Regards, John.
Hi John,

What an interesting story - looking at the RB's engine bay I can imagine a V8 (particularly an OHV one like the Rover/Buick) would have fitted pretty well and would have pushed the car along quite nicely.

Will I ever run out of jobs to do on the RB? I doubt it; there will probably still be a few on the list to be included in the eulogy at my cremation!

:-)

PS. Now there is a mischievous thought: a Rover V8 conversion for the RB's 50th birthday!

Last edited by Othen; Sep 16th, 2020 at 13:58.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2020, 15:14   #1704
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister
 
loki_the_glt's Avatar
 

Last Online: Oct 17th, 2020 08:21
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Asgard, Cheshire
Default

A popular "mod" was to drill a small hole at the lowest point of the box to allow water to drain out but fit a stainless steel self-tapper immediately prior to taking the car for its MoT test; this made the system gas-tight for the tester but could be quickly undone once you had the new ticket in your hand.

As for V8 sounds, one set per bank, exiting under the front doors a la AC/Shelby Cobra... And 4 48IDAs on the intake side to boot.
__________________
loki_the_glt - Skipper of the Exxon Valdez, driver of Sweden's finest sporting saloon - and pining for another Slant-4.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2020, 17:39   #1705
Laird Scooby
Premier Member
 
Laird Scooby's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 23:41
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lakenheath
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
It could have, though, Alan, had it not been for the oil crisis in the mid seventies. Volvo were at that time developing a V8 to rival the likes of the Rover SD1. On reflection, it was decided that in the circumstances this was not such a good idea and is the reason why the V6 motor in the 262/4/5 is a 90, and not 60, degree vee unit.

What a fine car that might have been had they held their nerve. A missed opportunity, I think. Pleased that you're continuing to enjoy the R.B.; do you think you'll ever run out of things to do?!

Regards, John.
As far as i'm aware, the only V8 car Volvo have ever produced was the Yamaha powered S80 - had Volvo grown a pair in the early 70s and gone for it, i would (presumably) be the owner of a 785GLE now and the 26x would have been 28x models. If memory serves when i worked out the capacity based on what it originally ended up as in V6 form (2664cc) it would have been just shy of 3.6L With the increasse in 1986/7, it would be 3.8L now........................



Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Thank you Bob,

I'll try to find that thread - it has never made sense to me to have such a condensation trap in the back box - which probably doesn't get hot enough to boil off the water vapour if the car is used for short journeys (as I suspect the RB may have been - 108,000 miles in 40 years). Many manufacturers seem to design the back box like that though; do you think having a hole (however deliberately placed) in the exhaust would be legal (not that the RB is liable for MoT tests any more)?

I'll see what sort of tailpipe the new back box comes with. If it is the S type I'll certainly try that out first. As Dave suggests I'll hang on to the L shaped one (with the twin tail attached) - access under the back of the 244 is so good it would only take 10 minutes to swap them at some time later to compare them.

Alan
I believe it's legal to drill a 1/8" (3mm hole) at the end of the box which is lower to drain it Alan and now need for a self-tapper to seal it so it "drains as you drives".



Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Hi John,

What an interesting story - looking at the RB's engine bay I can imagine a V8 (particularly an OHV one like the Rover/Buick) would have fitted pretty well and would have pushed the car along quite nicely.

Will I ever run out of jobs to do on the RB? I doubt it; there will probably still be a few on the list to be included in the eulogy at my cremation!

:-)

PS. Now there is a mischievous thought: a Rover V8 conversion for the RB's 50th birthday!
The POB/Rover V8 conversion has been done Alan and in terms of what was around at the time, would be a contemporay conversion - very nice with a 4-speed auto! These days most people look at using the Lexus/Toyota 4.0L V8, 250bhp of easy power and the gearbox is an AW71 in disguise so makes life easier!

Hmmmm, let me think - 4-speed AW71 conversion for the RBs 40th, an extra 4 cylinders in the form of a V8 for its 50th? That sounds like a good, progressive plan!
__________________
Cheers

Dave

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Rover 827 Sterling and a 765 GLEa V6!
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2020, 18:10   #1706
Othen
Premier Member
 
Othen's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 22:09
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Corby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The POB/Rover V8 conversion has been done Alan and in terms of what was around at the time, would be a contemporay conversion - very nice with a 4-speed auto! These days most people look at using the Lexus/Toyota 4.0L V8, 250bhp of easy power and the gearbox is an AW71 in disguise so makes life easier!

Hmmmm, let me think - 4-speed AW71 conversion for the RBs 40th, an extra 4 cylinders in the form of a V8 for its 50th? That sounds like a good, progressive plan!
I thought that idea might amuse you Dave - as John suggested earlier, I don't suppose I'll ever run out of things to do with the RB. A 4L Toyota motor in 2030 mated to an AW71 box fitted in 2021 would be a pretty cool progression for the RB :-)

Last edited by Othen; Sep 16th, 2020 at 18:12. Reason: Correction.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 17th, 2020, 08:56   #1707
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister
 
loki_the_glt's Avatar
 

Last Online: Oct 17th, 2020 08:21
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Asgard, Cheshire
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Hi John,

What an interesting story - looking at the RB's engine bay I can imagine a V8 (particularly an OHV one like the Rover/Buick) would have fitted pretty well and would have pushed the car along quite nicely.



PS. Now there is a mischievous thought: a Rover V8 conversion for the RB's 50th birthday!
Attached are shots taken at Billing and Market Harborough VBOA National meets showing the underbonnet layouts of an FD-series V8, an VX-series with the standard Vauxhall slant-4 and an FE-series (essentially identical to the VX-series) car with a Rover V8 to give you an idea of what might be possible.

Another FD showed up that had a Chevy 327 cu in V8 with an Edelbrock riser manifold and a BIG Holley 4-barrel petrol pump fitted but I can't find a decent photograph of that one. (I'll keep looking though as I'm sure I photographed it...)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _copie-0_IMGP8404.jpg (210.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg _copie-0_IMGP8411.jpg (198.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg _copie-0_IMGP9514.jpg (252.7 KB, 5 views)
__________________
loki_the_glt - Skipper of the Exxon Valdez, driver of Sweden's finest sporting saloon - and pining for another Slant-4.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 17th, 2020, 09:08   #1708
Laird Scooby
Premier Member
 
Laird Scooby's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 23:41
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lakenheath
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
Attached are shots taken at Billing and Market Harborough VBOA National meets showing the underbonnet layouts of an FD-series V8, an VX-series with the standard Vauxhall slant-4 and an FE-series (essentially identical to the VX-series) car with a Rover V8 to give you an idea of what might be possible.

Another FD showed up that had a Chevy 327 cu in V8 with an Edelbrock riser manifold and a BIG Holley 4-barrel petrol pump fitted but I can't find a decent photograph of that one. (I'll keep looking though as I'm sure I photographed it...)
I'm sure the FE series was designed with a V8 in mind, i know in Australia Holden built them with V8s as standard but they were called something else and had minor styling changes, a bit like the Holden Gemini which was really a Chevette as we knew it but with styling changes and a 2.0 turbo under the bonnet of some, donated i believe from the Isuzu Piazza Turbo, itself based on the same floorpan as the Chevette.

Back to the Victor/Ventora range, the slant-4 we got in the UK was a peach of an engine, heard rumours it started life as a Chevy V8 diesel but they got rid of 4 cylinders and the Devils Fuel from it and created smaller cylinders to give us the 1800 and 2300. I always wanted to redress the balance and fit a Rover V8 in the one i had but it never happened.
__________________
Cheers

Dave

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Rover 827 Sterling and a 765 GLEa V6!
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 17th, 2020, 13:35   #1709
Othen
Premier Member
 
Othen's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 22:09
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Corby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
Attached are shots taken at Billing and Market Harborough VBOA National meets showing the underbonnet layouts of an FD-series V8, an VX-series with the standard Vauxhall slant-4 and an FE-series (essentially identical to the VX-series) car with a Rover V8 to give you an idea of what might be possible.

Another FD showed up that had a Chevy 327 cu in V8 with an Edelbrock riser manifold and a BIG Holley 4-barrel petrol pump fitted but I can't find a decent photograph of that one. (I'll keep looking though as I'm sure I photographed it...)
Excellent!
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 17th, 2020, 22:39   #1710
Laird Scooby
Premier Member
 
Laird Scooby's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 23:41
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lakenheath
Default

Apologies Alan for the slight hijack as this is really for Loki :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindustan_Contessa



Isuzu 1.8 powered VX-copy ^^^^^

Just wondered if you'd come across any at Billing at all?
__________________
Cheers

Dave

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Rover 827 Sterling and a 765 GLEa V6!
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:55.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.