Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

960/V90 ABS Sensor

Views : 932

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 16th, 2020, 09:29   #11
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
What size tyres are you running, 2055/55/16?
I hope "2055" is a typo? Or do you think it's an ultra-wide load?

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2020, 10:32   #12
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Wrong offset.

Dave has hit the nail on the head. The perils of fitting none standard parts. Those wheels do not suit your car, who fitted them?
If the tyre chewed the wiring as you describe, then the sensor itself could well still be serviceable. Cheaper and less bother to repair the wiring than to replace the sensor.
Fit some correct sized wheels before you have more problems.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2020, 11:27   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
I hope "2055" is a typo? Or do you think it's an ultra-wide load?
Definitely a typo, should have been 205/55/16 of course!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2020, 11:40   #14
taiwan740

Yes, 205/55 R16 - those wheels are standard from the factory, never been changed. family friend was the previous owner, they had it since year 1, so its a three owner car.

I wonder if the brake discs I have fitted are slightly narrower than Volvo ones, which has affected the offset perhaps. Or something has bent in the tie rod end etc.

The tyres are Avon WT7.

It's a 1995 960 MK2.
taiwan740 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taiwan740 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2020, 12:10   #15
Ian21401
Premier Member

If the wheels are correct then there is definitely something not quite right somewhere. I think that thinner discs would mean that the wheel was further inboard but by how much? How much thinner are the discs you fitted and does the other side wheel foul anything? Or was that fouled wiring not routed correctly in the first place?

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2020, 12:37   #16
taiwan740

Doesn't rub on the other side, nor does it rub when not at full lock.

You can see when on full lock that the top of the inside tyre sidewall on that one side is in contact with the strut. I'll see if I can provide a picture at some point.

It is odd. car drives fine and has no suspension issues or what-have-you as i checked all that, but still could be an alignment thing.
taiwan740 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taiwan740 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2020, 13:06   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiwan740 View Post
Doesn't rub on the other side, nor does it rub when not at full lock.

You can see when on full lock that the top of the inside tyre sidewall on that one side is in contact with the strut. I'll see if I can provide a picture at some point.

It is odd. car drives fine and has no suspension issues or what-have-you as i checked all that, but still could be an alignment thing.
Might be worth checking your bottom ball joints and strut top mounts - from your description the camber angle is altering on full lock so those would be the first two things that would alter it, also check the various bushes on the control arm (including the spaceship bushes) and any others nearby in case one has collapsed. Also check your spring and damper on the effected side, just in case something isn't right there.

Sometimes things can go pear shaped over a period of time so it's not noticed and you don't realise it's not driving as it should until you repair the fault.................

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2020, 14:22   #18
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Might be worth checking your bottom ball joints and strut top mounts - from your description the camber angle is altering on full lock so those would be the first two things that would alter it, also check the various bushes on the control arm (including the spaceship bushes) and any others nearby in case one has collapsed. Also check your spring and damper on the effected side, just in case something isn't right there.

Sometimes things can go pear shaped over a period of time so it's not noticed and you don't realise it's not driving as it should until you repair the fault.................
Don't think there will be spaceships on a 95 960 Dave.
griston64 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2020, 14:48   #19
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Don't think there will be spaceships on a 95 960 Dave.
Thanks Mark - i hadn't realised they'd changed things! In that case, the equivalent bush to the spaceships will be bush #9 in this diagram but also worth checking #10 as well :

That's for LHD, RHD will presumably be mirror image on any parts specific to one side or other of the vehicle. For comparison, the earlier version :

Complete with spaceships!

Page 11 of this pdf shows the Uranus alloy and confirms an ET43 offset. I wonder if the car is 95 reg but really a MY94 so needs the correct ET25 offset wheels? Or perhaps wheel spacers on the front......

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2020, 15:03   #20
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks Mark - i hadn't realised they'd changed things! In that case, the equivalent bush to the spaceships will be bush #9 in this diagram but also worth checking #10 as well :

That's for LHD, RHD will presumably be mirror image on any parts specific to one side or other of the vehicle. For comparison, the earlier version :

Complete with spaceships!

Page 11 of this pdf shows the Uranus alloy and confirms an ET43 offset. I wonder if the car is 95 reg but really a MY94 so needs the correct ET25 offset wheels? Or perhaps wheel spacers on the front......
If that is the case it would've happened before now if the wheels have been on the car for 25 years. I think your suspension diagnosis is closer to the cause
griston64 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post: