Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 1773132

Replies : 4083

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 21st, 2020, 17:19   #1731
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Alan further to the post regarding wheel arch liners (rear)
I had to remove the same from my car today ('88 240) for a top up of rust treatment:~

The above are indeed marked as Volvo 240 R109 LOKARI Patent SF
Regards Bob.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2020, 18:34   #1732
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
Alan further to the post regarding wheel arch liners (rear)
I had to remove the same from my car today ('88 240) for a top up of rust treatment:~

The above are indeed marked as Volvo 240 R109 LOKARI Patent SF
Regards Bob.
Ah, thank you Bob. That will help a great deal to make sure I get the right parts.

I'll register on the Lokari DE website now - see if that part is listed.

Many thanks,

Alan

PS. Bob, I have just redistered on the DE site and the liners are quoted as 190 Euros including shipping, with a 2-6 week order time. I'll give Volvovogue until this time next week and if I don't hear from them I'll get the liners from DE. I still have a Dutch bank account and can pay in Euros, so that is very convenient.

Last edited by Othen; Sep 21st, 2020 at 18:43. Reason: Addition.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2020, 10:11   #1733
Othen
Premier Member

Default Struts for teh Boot

The two struts that support the boot on the RB are getting a bit tired after 40 years, they still hold the boot, but only just and could do with changing. They are short, stumpy ones like this:

This company (SGS) manufacturers a replacement, in England and for a reasonable price, but the ad says it is the same part for the saloon and the estate:

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/gsc2...tailgate-strut

... now, I don't have an estate to compare them with (I have not owned one for the last 32 years), so I'd like to confirm that is correct before I order replacements. Would someone check whether the strut is the same on both the 244 and the 245?

Stay safe,

Alan
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2020, 10:45   #1734
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
The two struts that support the boot on the RB are getting a bit tired after 40 years, they still hold the boot, but only just and could do with changing. They are short, stumpy ones like this:

This company (SGS) manufacturers a replacement, in England and for a reasonable price, but the ad says it is the same part for the saloon and the estate:

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/gsc2...tailgate-strut

... now, I don't have an estate to compare them with (I have not owned one for the last 32 years), so I'd like to confirm that is correct before I order replacements. Would someone check whether the strut is the same on both the 244 and the 245?

Stay safe,

Alan
Their listing leads me to believe they are for the estate Alan. If you go to the listing and click on the "Specifications" tab, it lists "Body Style" as "hatchback". Also if you can find the OE part number on your existing struts, that will help narrow things down.

A bit of a search suggests your original part number will be 1254057 and that doesn't match anything on the SGS listing you found, however it does match this one :

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/gsc2...260-boot-strut

Also on the body style, it says saloon so there's a fairly high chance that's the right one.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2020, 11:48   #1735
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Their listing leads me to believe they are for the estate Alan. If you go to the listing and click on the "Specifications" tab, it lists "Body Style" as "hatchback". Also if you can find the OE part number on your existing struts, that will help narrow things down.

A bit of a search suggests your original part number will be 1254057 and that doesn't match anything on the SGS listing you found, however it does match this one :

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/gsc2...260-boot-strut

Also on the body style, it says saloon so there's a fairly high chance that's the right one.
Many thanks Dave, that was very kind of you.

I had rather suspected the struts would not be the same for the estate as the saloon, and the one in the first ad would be for the 245. The 260 one might well be right - I may drop them a line to confirm first.

Best wishes,

Alan
Old Sep 23rd, 2020, 12:05   #1736
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Many thanks Dave, that was very kind of you.

I had rather suspected the struts would not be the same for the estate as the saloon, and the one in the first ad would be for the 245. The 260 one might well be right - I may drop them a line to confirm first.

Best wishes,

Alan
By all means drop them a line Alan, they might say it won't fit the 240 because they don't have a listing for it but if you can confirm the prat number on the old ones is the same as they list and i found (1254057) then they should fit.

Sadly aftermarket manufacturers don't always have the right information!

I needed a replacement pair of boot struts for my 827 Coupe and many suppliers said the saloon ones would fit.

The struts were mounted on a different part of the boot honge so while the hinges were the same (which is what they'd based their assumption on), the length was longer on the Coupe because the boot lid was a different shape on the trailing edge so was heavier and needed longer, stronger gas springs/struts.

That's why i'm suggesting you check the part number and go on that. I've also checked on fcpeuro.com but they don't appear to list anything which is a shame as even with S&H they'd almost certainly be cheaper!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Sep 23rd, 2020, 13:19   #1737
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
By all means drop them a line Alan, they might say it won't fit the 240 because they don't have a listing for it but if you can confirm the prat number on the old ones is the same as they list and i found (1254057) then they should fit.

Sadly aftermarket manufacturers don't always have the right information!

I needed a replacement pair of boot struts for my 827 Coupe and many suppliers said the saloon ones would fit.

The struts were mounted on a different part of the boot honge so while the hinges were the same (which is what they'd based their assumption on), the length was longer on the Coupe because the boot lid was a different shape on the trailing edge so was heavier and needed longer, stronger gas springs/struts.

That's why i'm suggesting you check the part number and go on that. I've also checked on fcpeuro.com but they don't appear to list anything which is a shame as even with S&H they'd almost certainly be cheaper!
Thanks Dave,

There is no rush whatsoever about this one, so I'll do a bit of research.

I just tried to remove one of the struts for a closer look (laying in the boot upside down - it would have looked like I'd been murdered and stuffed into the trunk to a passer by...). I can't quite work out how the struts are secured. The outer end has this odd three sided cap that moves a little, but doesn't seem to loosen (I hope it is not a rivet):

and the inside has some sort of pin that doesn't seem to have either an internal hexagon or torx key:

any ideas? They are all in remarkably good condition for a 40 year old motor car, so I don't want to force anything. I can't imagine why Volvo would have used obscure fixings for such a commonplace part.

You may also see a part number VERIN 07828 014 019 - Google doesn't produce any leads so I'm guessing that is obsolete.

The extended stroke seems to be 210mm, so I'm thinking I could just replace the two struts with some universal gas struts (the sort that are sold to caravaners and so on) - for about a tenner a pair like these on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal...97.m4902.l9144

There is nothing special about some 40 year old plastic struts so I'm not worried about authenticity, as long as they hold the boot lid up when I'm putting the shopping in.

Best wishes,

Alan

PS. Or how about this for an idea: I suspect the original plastic struts are almost empty now (of nitrogen I should think), so how about drilling a hole near the top and tapping them for a Schrader valve so I can pump them up like I do my bike suspension?

PPS. Skandix would appear to have just the right part:

https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...k-lid/1000926/

... but at a cost: 67,26 EUR plus shipping/side, so £150ish total. I think I'd prefer either the Schrader valve or universal gas strut for a tenner ideas - both in keeping with the RB's ethos :-)

Last edited by Othen; Sep 23rd, 2020 at 14:11. Reason: Spelling error.
Old Sep 23rd, 2020, 14:30   #1738
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Going for the most relevant points first Alan, the Skandix listing confirms the part number i found (1254057) so it would also seem the SGS struts i found would also work at a considerably cheaper cost.

With the fixings, the chewed silver fixing on one end looks suspiciously like there should have been a star washer on there originally and it was lost so a piece of aluminium was drilled to fit then folded to hold it on there.

The other end that looks like a cheesehead cap screw also appears to have two blobs of weld holding it in if you enlarge the photo. Might pay to investigate these possibilities and invest in new mounting hardware at the same time.

Failing that, bungee cords! I'm not sure if it would apply to the Volvo but on my Rover, the original method of bootlid elevation was a long expansion spring both sides. This hooked onto the hinge in a similar position to where the gas spring was fitted and the other end of the spring was behind the tail lights When mine went weak i fed a bungee cord through each spring and hooked the ends on so the bungees worked inside, in tandem with, the original springs.

Not sure i'd want to even consider drilling into a gas spring, the pressures are incredibly high in there because it's such a small area. To give you an idea, i recently worked out that a 60mm diameter surface would support ~50kg with only 23psi but factor in the different load of the bood lid and that it's effectively a lever pushing back against the gas spring, it needs to be about 10 times as strong. With a much smaller effective area (perhaps 1/2 sq inch) the pressure again needs to be higher. Even though they're weak now, they still support the boot lid - just. That means there's still a very high pressure in there.

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Sep 23rd, 2020 at 14:35. Reason: typot
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2020, 15:55   #1739
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Going for the most relevant points first Alan, the Skandix listing confirms the part number i found (1254057) so it would also seem the SGS struts i found would also work at a considerably cheaper cost.

With the fixings, the chewed silver fixing on one end looks suspiciously like there should have been a star washer on there originally and it was lost so a piece of aluminium was drilled to fit then folded to hold it on there.

The other end that looks like a cheesehead cap screw also appears to have two blobs of weld holding it in if you enlarge the photo. Might pay to investigate these possibilities and invest in new mounting hardware at the same time.

Failing that, bungee cords! I'm not sure if it would apply to the Volvo but on my Rover, the original method of bootlid elevation was a long expansion spring both sides. This hooked onto the hinge in a similar position to where the gas spring was fitted and the other end of the spring was behind the tail lights When mine went weak i fed a bungee cord through each spring and hooked the ends on so the bungees worked inside, in tandem with, the original springs.

Not sure i'd want to even consider drilling into a gas spring, the pressures are incredibly high in there because it's such a small area. To give you an idea, i recently worked out that a 60mm diameter surface would support ~50kg with only 23psi but factor in the different load of the bood lid and that it's effectively a lever pushing back against the gas spring, it needs to be about 10 times as strong. With a much smaller effective area (perhaps 1/2 sq inch) the pressure again needs to be higher. Even though they're weak now, they still support the boot lid - just. That means there's still a very high pressure in there.
Thanks Dave,

It is always good to get a second opinion.

I think you are right about the part #, the Skandix item confirms it so the SGS 260 parts should fit.

I may end up grinding or drilling off the fixings, I still can't quite see how they come apart (but they do look like factory fixings because they are identical both sides). No matter, it would be a simple matter to re-attach them with ordinary shanked bolts. Access is a bit limited, I'll get my endoscope out sometime and have a look at what is on the other side of those two fixings.

Giving the existing springs a bit of assistance with a bit of bungee cord might be a good idea Dave - the gas struts push rather than pull, so I'd have to think of some sort of mechanism.

The Schrader valve idea probably was a bit too 'mad professor' :-)

Last edited by Othen; Sep 23rd, 2020 at 16:04.
Old Sep 23rd, 2020, 16:33   #1740
Othen
Premier Member

Default The RB in the Rain

I re-painted the RB's roof a week or so ago, and even if I say so myself, it came out quite well for a rattle-can job.

This afternoon it is pouring outside - and I've just noticed that water streams now off the RB's roof where it used to puddle a little on the near horizontal surface. The shiny lacquer and a couple of good coats of wax polish are providing much better environmental protection - just in time for the winter.

It is nice when something goes a little better than expected :-)