Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 1773175

Replies : 4083

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 10:36   #2061
Dippydog
Premier Member

You've made a really good job of those wheels.From a personal perspective I far prefer the original wheels and would have stuck with those.
Vive la difference!
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 10:39   #2062
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
You've made a really good job of those wheels.From a personal perspective I far prefer the original wheels and would have stuck with those.
Vive la difference!
You mean the Virgo wheels? I'm not getting rid of them, they will be my summer tyre wheels and I'll change back to them April-November every year.

I like the Virgo wheels as well, what I'm doing should make them last the life of the car (and me).

Alan
Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 11:25   #2063
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
You mean the Virgo wheels? I'm not getting rid of them, they will be my summer tyre wheels and I'll change back to them April-November every year.

I like the Virgo wheels as well, what I'm doing should make them last the life of the car (and me).

Alan
My tastes differ slightly, i would use the Virgo wheels for winter and the Pholus for summer. Also in the winter when the roads are covered in the sticky black mud from the beet campaign, the dirt won't show so much on the anthracite coloured Virgos as it will on the bright, shiny Pholus wheels.

Notwithstanding that opinion, i have always felt brighter/lighter wheels suit darker body colours and darker wheels suit lighter/brighter body colours. It's probably my liking for contrasting but complimentary finishes. In the winter it's usually more difficult to see things like that because everything is filthy so the summer choice for me (when you can get things clean and keep them that way for a reasonable time) would be the Pholus.

As John said a few posts up, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder so it's whatever floats your boat - Barge even!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 11:44   #2064
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
My tastes differ slightly, i would use the Virgo wheels for winter and the Pholus for summer. Also in the winter when the roads are covered in the sticky black mud from the beet campaign, the dirt won't show so much on the anthracite coloured Virgos as it will on the bright, shiny Pholus wheels.

Notwithstanding that opinion, i have always felt brighter/lighter wheels suit darker body colours and darker wheels suit lighter/brighter body colours. It's probably my liking for contrasting but complimentary finishes. In the winter it's usually more difficult to see things like that because everything is filthy so the summer choice for me (when you can get things clean and keep them that way for a reasonable time) would be the Pholus.

As John said a few posts up, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder so it's whatever floats your boat - Barge even!
Well, I could always get the tyres swapped over this time next year if I decide that is the way to go Dave. My thinking is that the Virgo wheels are the nicer, so I'm happy to have them on the car April-November when I will do most miles.

Alan
Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 13:14   #2065
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
I think you've done a great job Alan, they look very smart and really suit the car. Yes winter tyres will definitely come in handy for them, I really must sort out some for my 940.
Hello. I guess you have 15" wheele. I have four new never used Continental directional 15" winter tyres, and a non-directional one to be a spare. I've given up getting them fitted due to my age and health &c.

I am going to sell them. Very reluctantly. The problems for a buyer would be distance I'm in Thurrock, cost of fitting a forum member told me over £30 per tyre, and, I can't be very quick to deal with things.

Luke if interested please contact me. And I will of course check the tyres' profile.

I don't want to hijack this thread Royal Czar. I'll open a sale thread in time.

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Nov 23rd, 2020 at 13:18.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 13:54   #2066
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
I am going to sell them. Very reluctantly. The problems for a buyer would be distance I'm in Thurrock, cost of fitting a forum member told me over £30 per tyre, and, I can't be very quick to deal with things.

I think you must be mistaken about the cost of tyre fitting and balancing - it is £23 (inc VAT) for non supplied tyres at Corby Tyres (and I suspect that most parts of the country are similar).
Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 14:08   #2067
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I think you must be mistaken about the cost of tyre fitting and balancing - it is £23 (inc VAT) for non supplied tyres at Corby Tyres (and I suspect that most parts of the country are similar).

Yes actually my mistake £23 per wheel.

My local depot are happy to agree £10.

But it is an issue for any buyer.

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 14:15   #2068
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Yes actually my mistake £23 per wheel.

My local depot are happy to agree £10.

But it is an issue for any buyer.

Not if they have a tyre changer machine and wheel balancer.

Sadly they're Continentals so not for me.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 14:19   #2069
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Not if they have a tyre changer machine and wheel balancer.

Sadly they're Continentals so not for me.
I'd forgotten about your tyre changing rig Dave :-)
Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 14:27   #2070
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

I don't want to hijack this thread Royal Czar. I'll open a sale thread in time.

I don't know who Royal Czar is, but if you mean it is me, then I have no problem with you using this thread to sell tyres.

:-)