Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 803995

Replies : 6184

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 01:48   #131
Bashy
Aged Member

My philosophy is, an item is worth whatever someone will pay for it.
We may not like it but that's just the way it goes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 06:28   #132
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
<hums tune from The Twilight Zone>

I think it must be an alien auction Alan, that pricing is out of this world!

On another note, you could have a look at this that happens to have an AW70/71 in it :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1988-Volv...n/324395687952

Just a thought of course as i know you more than likely have a good one lined up.
Many thanks Dave,
I'll keep an eye on that 740, I'm guessing the chap wants a bit more than the banger derby man will give him.
Alan
Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 08:03   #133
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
My philosophy is, an item is worth whatever someone will pay for it.
We may not like it but that's just the way it goes.
You are tight of course - with that eBay ad it was a £500 (at most) car masquerading as something that might be worth £2000.

Alan
Old Dec 6th, 2020, 07:41   #134
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
<hums tune from The Twilight Zone>

I think it must be an alien auction Alan, that pricing is out of this world!

On another note, you could have a look at this that happens to have an AW70/71 in it :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1988-Volv...n/324395687952

Just a thought of course as i know you more than likely have a good one lined up.
I notice that 740 attracted just one bid and sold for £260, which is about a sensible price for what it is. I still wonder why people might think any old wreck might be worth 2 grand (like the '89 240 wreck that didn't get any bids at £1900).

Ho hum.
Old Dec 6th, 2020, 08:14   #135
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I notice that 740 attracted just one bid and sold for £260, which is about a sensible price for what it is. I still wonder why people might think any old wreck might be worth 2 grand (like the '89 240 wreck that didn't get any bids at £1900).

Ho hum.
It's a good spares mule at that price. However it's comforting to know that the car i paid ~£200 for 4 and a bit years ago is now probably worth about £3k going on what is being sold on fleabay.
Granted it needed a lot of TLC and quite a few new parts at the time but it had that and more and has had anything done as and when needed. Still need to sort the air-con and oil cooler but i'm getting there. It's no longer fire-fighting, more preventive maintenance.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2020, 10:24   #136
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
It's a good spares mule at that price. However it's comforting to know that the car i paid ~£200 for 4 and a bit years ago is now probably worth about £3k going on what is being sold on fleabay.
Granted it needed a lot of TLC and quite a few new parts at the time but it had that and more and has had anything done as and when needed. Still need to sort the air-con and oil cooler but i'm getting there. It's no longer fire-fighting, more preventive maintenance.
I'd agree about that 740 Dave, if one had a good 740 and a bit of room to store a donor car that didn't upset the neighbours too much then it would be a good buy at £260, but of course it would need trailering away (W London I think) so that might make it a bit impractical for most folk. It did cross my mind to buy that car, bring it here (I have a large enough drive for about 8 cars) and gradually strip everything off it that might be useful to the RB (certainly the auto box, probably the motor - maybe all sorts of other stuff that might be made to fit) then advertising the glass and removable panels here free to a good home before getting our local Romanian scrap bloke to take away the carcass. On balance it thought it might be a good project, but I thought my neighbours might object to a rotting carcass being picked apart on my drive for 6 months - and house prices in the street might have plummeted as a result :-)

Re your car: I'd certainly say £200 was a good price for a running and riding car, so you have done very well. If you accounted for your time (which none of us do of course) then it would probably have to sell for £8,000 to make it worthwhile, but that isn't the point.

I feel the same way about the RB, I paid a couple of grand for it, have spent £900 total on it (that includes two sets of new tyres though - by far the most expensive items), and I suppose it is worth considerably more than my cash investment now (I see 244s that are similar to the RB being advertised north of £6,000 - I have no idea whether they sell or not though). The RB is worth more than that to me though - not only have I invested a lot of time in the car, but I have enjoyed bringing it back to life and it is satisfying that it has become a really nice historic car that I could not replace for £3,000.

Alan

PS. This looks like a nice 240 saloon:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/volvo240g...sAAOSwSYVfw3Ea

... it will be interesting to see what it makes so I'll watch it and report back. Similar-ish to the RB, except it won't qualify as an historic car for another 8 years.

PPS. talking of £6,000 244s, I have just noticed this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-240...0AAOSwHHBfmT7F

... a Japanese import, which is good and bad, but it won't be an historic car for nearly a decade and is... £6,000 :-(

Last edited by Othen; Dec 6th, 2020 at 10:39.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2020, 11:16   #137
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I'd agree about that 740 Dave, if one had a good 740 and a bit of room to store a donor car that didn't upset the neighbours too much then it would be a good buy at £260, but of course it would need trailering away (W London I think) so that might make it a bit impractical for most folk. It did cross my mind to buy that car, bring it here (I have a large enough drive for about 8 cars) and gradually strip everything off it that might be useful to the RB (certainly the auto box, probably the motor - maybe all sorts of other stuff that might be made to fit) then advertising the glass and removable panels here free to a good home before getting our local Romanian scrap bloke to take away the carcass. On balance it thought it might be a good project, but I thought my neighbours might object to a rotting carcass being picked apart on my drive for 6 months - and house prices in the street might have plummeted as a result :-)

Re your car: I'd certainly say £200 was a good price for a running and riding car, so you have done very well. If you accounted for your time (which none of us do of course) then it would probably have to sell for £8,000 to make it worthwhile, but that isn't the point.

I feel the same way about the RB, I paid a couple of grand for it, have spent £900 total on it (that includes two sets of new tyres though - by far the most expensive items), and I suppose it is worth considerably more than my cash investment now (I see 244s that are similar to the RB being advertised north of £6,000 - I have no idea whether they sell or not though). The RB is worth more than that to me though - not only have I invested a lot of time in the car, but I have enjoyed bringing it back to life and it is satisfying that it has become a really nice historic car that I could not replace for £3,000.

Alan

PS. This looks like a nice 240 saloon:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/volvo240g...sAAOSwSYVfw3Ea

... it will be interesting to see what it makes so I'll watch it and report back. Similar-ish to the RB, except it won't qualify as an historic car for another 8 years.

PPS. talking of £6,000 244s, I have just noticed this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-240...0AAOSwHHBfmT7F

... a Japanese import, which is good and bad, but it won't be an historic car for nearly a decade and is... £6,000 :-(
That 740 wouldn't have yielded much of any use to you Alan except the gearbox and possibly the prop shaft. The engine is the B200E, K-Jetronic (mechanical) injection so puts out 112bhp if memory serves (something in the back of my mind says 118bhp but might be wrong) so wouldn't have been worth the time and trouble to swap it really.

Might have been other stuff useful for you but nothing i can think of easily.

I think with everything i had to spend on mine to bring it up to standard, including the original purchase price it came to ~£500 and that includes the first MoT in my ownership.

With other things since, it's probably approaching a grand now including the replacement axle and 5 tyres (one part-worn ~£15 delivered and 4 brand new budget ones £105) and it goes and drives much better. I've just ordered a new thermostat for it and a litre of anti-freeze to replace whatever is lost when i change the 'stat (it's gone weak and i had planned to renew the 'stat when i change the anti-freeze and oil but waiting on a part to fit the oil cooler) but i consider that a service part every 4 years these days and it's 4 years since i replaced it last.

My ethos is similar to yours, i couldn't replace it under £3k at least, possibly more and i've enjoyed improving it and using it.

That white 240 is interesting. Can you explain how you arrive at the 9 years before it becomes Historic please? Mine is about 6 months younger (88/F) and should be eligible in 2028 for Historic tax.
It has a lot of genuine Volvo accessories (driving lights, front dog lights, inside/outside temp gauge plus a few others i can't make out, mud-flaps, upgraded stereo? and possibly a few i've missed) and looks very nice.

That silver JDM import looks ncie but always a bit wary of them. Not heard any horror stories about JDM imports regardless of the marque but there are usually niggles to overcome from stereos that won't recieve UK broadcasts to sat-nags in Japanese with no UK maps or any way of changing them - obviously dependent on the year, tech fitted and so on but also have come across many cars where the parts are unique to the JDM models (mainly Honda) but strangely, once part numbers are found, those parts are available on the UK market for other vehicles including in one case the Gold Wing 1800 motorbike!

Whether Volvo had any bespoke JDM parts i don't know but at a time when UK parts are getting scarce, i would think any Japanese spec parts would be on the shelf between the unicorn horns and the rocking horse manure.

As for price, i've seen Rover 800s that are JDM imports. No matter how nice they are, they never seem to make the same money as genuine UKDM models that have been well looked after and are in similar condition with higher mileage.

Presumably the same will hold true for the 240 but until it sells and we know if it went for £5995 or not we won't be certain.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2020, 12:08   #138
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
My ethos is similar to yours, i couldn't replace it under £3k at least, possibly more and i've enjoyed improving it and using it.

That white 240 is interesting. Can you explain how you arrive at the 9 years before it becomes Historic please? Mine is about 6 months younger (88/F) and should be eligible in 2028 for Historic tax.
It has a lot of genuine Volvo accessories (driving lights, front dog lights, inside/outside temp gauge plus a few others i can't make out, mud-flaps, upgraded stereo? and possibly a few i've missed) and looks very nice.

That silver JDM import looks ncie but always a bit wary of them. Not heard any horror stories about JDM imports regardless of the marque but there are usually niggles to overcome from stereos that won't recieve UK broadcasts to sat-nags in Japanese with no UK maps or any way of changing them - obviously dependent on the year, tech fitted and so on but also have come across many cars where the parts are unique to the JDM models (mainly Honda) but strangely, once part numbers are found, those parts are available on the UK market for other vehicles including in one case the Gold Wing 1800 motorbike!

Whether Volvo had any bespoke JDM parts i don't know but at a time when UK parts are getting scarce, i would think any Japanese spec parts would be on the shelf between the unicorn horns and the rocking horse manure.

As for price, i've seen Rover 800s that are JDM imports. No matter how nice they are, they never seem to make the same money as genuine UKDM models that have been well looked after and are in similar condition with higher mileage.

Presumably the same will hold true for the 240 but until it sells and we know if it went for £5995 or not we won't be certain.
Isn't the white car a 1988? So it will be 40 years old in 2028 and qualify as an historic car the following April, which is pretty well 9 years time.

I had a Mazda MX5 Eunos once, which was excellent - no rust at all, which would have been almost unknown for a UK car of that age (1990 I think). It had lots of nice extras that were probably standard for the JDM. The imported Volvo looks nice, but £6,000 is a lot of money for an old Volvo.

:-)
Old Dec 6th, 2020, 12:23   #139
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Isn't the white car a 1988? So it will be 40 years old in 2028 and qualify as an historic car the following April, which is pretty well 9 years time.

I had a Mazda MX5 Eunos once, which was excellent - no rust at all, which would have been almost unknown for a UK car of that age (1990 I think). It had lots of nice extras that were probably standard for the JDM. The imported Volvo looks nice, but £6,000 is a lot of money for an old Volvo.

:-)
I seem to recall you keep mentioning the RB becomes eligible in April next year, can you explain a bit more please Alan? That all suggests mine will be eligible in April 2029 as well.

Old Dec 6th, 2020, 14:02   #140
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I seem to recall you keep mentioning the RB becomes eligible in April next year, can you explain a bit more please Alan? That all suggests mine will be eligible in April 2029 as well.
I've just cut and pasted this from the DVLA website Dave, it rolls forward every year:

Vehicles exempt from vehicle tax
If your vehicle was built before 1 January 1980, you can stop paying vehicle tax from 1 April 2020.

... so, all the 1979 vehicles became eligible to be tax exempt (the owner still has to apply to change the taxation class) on 1 Apr 2020. Next year all the cars built in 18980 (including the RB) will become eligible for the historic taxation class on 1 Apr 21... and so on.

So, if your car was built in 1998 then it will (like all the vehicles built in 1988) qualify to be tax free on 1 April 2029 (assuming the rules don't change in the meantime of course).

This is separate from the MoT requirement, which is just 40 years from first registration (to the day).

Good news?

Alan