Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Xc 70 or Xc 90 ?

Views : 2147

Replies : 45

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 23rd, 2021, 18:57   #21
Dicky Boy

Nice looking thing but way too small for my needs I'm afraid. Thanks for the info though.
Dicky Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2021, 19:12   #22
Dicky Boy

I hope not ! lol The worst stuff for me is going down muddy tracks, some of which are well used and getting back up some steepish hills to get back up from the rivers. The mud worries me more as it's the most common adversary.
Old Feb 23rd, 2021, 19:17   #23
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
Nowt wrong with the '55 box either, as long as its fluid's changed on (say Saab's) schedule. It wasn't the autobox that killed our Euro 3 XC70 at knocking 190K, it was a transfer box that was an uneconomic repair.

Trouble is, these 70s & 90s have the capability at almost any time to throw a big bill without trying, hence me going down a completely different rabbit-hole for the OP's requirements.

Agree wuth everything you said.

I sold my 2005 XC70 with the 55 box at 182k and it was perfect. The box had been looked after with regular (every 30k ) sump dumps and I know for a fact that the car is still going strong with over 200k.

I much prefer the 6 speed box in my Euro 4 XC90 and again that has had regular changes. I do a single sump dump when I change the engine oil every 10k. Makes sense seeing as the undertray is already off.

If cash is a major concern , any elderly XC can easily give you a big bill even with good maintenance .

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2021, 19:20   #24
Dicky Boy

Brilliant information, just the kind of stuff I need to know to steer me in the right direction.

Thank you so much for your help, very very helpful.
Old Feb 23rd, 2021, 22:30   #25
skippyfox
VOC Member

Having owned all three of the cars you have mentioned, for what you are looking for I'd definitely go for a younger Grand Vitara LWB. Whilst the XC70 and XC90 are very good awd cars, when it comes to the rough stuff the Suzuki will beat them hands down. Also, when , not if things go wrong the Suzi will be a cheaper fix of the three.

Only My opinion. Been there done that.

Suzuki 413 Santana. Spanish built
Suzuki 413 Samurai. Japanese Built
Suzuki 413 with 2ltr Fiat engine conversion, that was fun.
Suzuki Grand Vitara GV2000
Suzuki Grand Vitara V6
Hyundai Santa FE. Bit of a mistake!
XC90 D5 06 plate
XC90 D5 14 plate
XC70 D5 16 plate
Currently running around in a V90 D5 awd R Design 68 plate
Got My eyes on a V90 CC Ocean Race, just don't let the wife Know...
skippyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skippyfox For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 13:06   #26
Thekilt

one thing to note regarding XC70/90, is if you intend to put anything on the roof, the XC70 will be easier to access. Getting gear off the roof on any proper size SUV is a nightmare.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thekilt For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 15:47   #27
Dicky Boy

As well as Mercedes Vito's. They dont have a auto transmission dip stick but Main dealers are quite happy to take £225 off you to do an oil and filter change. Do you thing the Volvo's would benefit from doing that ? TIA.
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 15:52   #28
Dicky Boy

That's a major reason I like the XC90, so much room in the back for fishing gear that there is no need to leave very valuable kit on the exposed roof rack. Getting a bit paranoid in my old age about armpits stealing my hard earned kit! ;-)
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 16:32   #29
Dicky Boy

Default Leaning towards XC90, Which year and model please chaps. 7k

Hi Guys,

Thank you for all your invaluable information. I am leaning towards a Xc 90 with about a 7K budget but I am still a bit foggy on what year and model would be best in the reliability stakes? Is the euro version any good what years are better.... Oh and can you lend me a tenner to buy it please ?

I am still amazed at how much you guys know about all these bit's n bobbs and how generous you are when sharing your much appreciated help.
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 16:34   #30
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicky Boy View Post
As well as Mercedes Vito's. They dont have a auto transmission dip stick but Main dealers are quite happy to take £225 off you to do an oil and filter change. Do you thing the Volvo's would benefit from doing that ? TIA.
Yes they do, for sure (but bear in mind that whilst there are filters in these autoboxes, they're so deeply embedded that they are not service items).

Lots (and lots) of relevant threads about gearbox ATF changes...

PS
A 90 is surely overkill for your requirements
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote