Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

snapping bolt and a raft of pain..

Views : 1265

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 17th, 2021, 15:58   #21
100K+
Premier Member

Today I bought 6 of each of the attached M5 bolts to conduct destructive testing.
ALL bolts failed at 20MN ( the smallest number my torque wrench can be set to) The round head bolts snapped off like licorice, without sound, the hex heads snapped with a "crack". Additionally, I tried a couple of each type with my 1/4" drive ratchet, and was surprised how little effort was required to snap either type. Both types turned under the same level of force, but the screw head turned only a third turn before it came apart, the hex head would turn almost a full turn before sheering with a "crack". These hex heads also could be turned one way and then the opposite way without visible damage.
The place I got them said they were "8.6" and good quality.
My thoughts now are I think I have turned my filter bolts to the same levels of force as I have with these test bolts. Only the "slipping" of the bits used within the bolts has saved me from snapping them. ( the 27 torx bit was a good tight fit after I'd tapped it home) If I use a 6mm fluted bolt extractor, it may well grip very well, but with no give, if I exceed what force I have already applied, a snapped bolt will result. I don't think I can do any more.

Think its time to call this a day..

Thanks again to all who contributed..

Cheers
Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg haldex pump bolt test.jpg (253.6 KB, 17 views)
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2021, 06:43   #22
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
Today I bought 6 of each of the attached M5 bolts to conduct destructive testing.
ALL bolts failed at 20MN ( the smallest number my torque wrench can be set to) The round head bolts snapped off like licorice, without sound, the hex heads snapped with a "crack". Additionally, I tried a couple of each type with my 1/4" drive ratchet, and was surprised how little effort was required to snap either type. Both types turned under the same level of force, but the screw head turned only a third turn before it came apart, the hex head would turn almost a full turn before sheering with a "crack". These hex heads also could be turned one way and then the opposite way without visible damage.
The place I got them said they were "8.6" and good quality.
My thoughts now are I think I have turned my filter bolts to the same levels of force as I have with these test bolts. Only the "slipping" of the bits used within the bolts has saved me from snapping them. ( the 27 torx bit was a good tight fit after I'd tapped it home) If I use a 6mm fluted bolt extractor, it may well grip very well, but with no give, if I exceed what force I have already applied, a snapped bolt will result. I don't think I can do any more.

Think its time to call this a day..

Thanks again to all who contributed..

Cheers
Bob
Do you know that volvo used 8.8 standard bolts?

I have high tensile M5 socket head that are 10.9 rated.

Surprisingly cheap in comparison to bigger sizes for 10.9 rated bolts. I bought them to fit a new door module to my xc70 when I found the gap between box and hole was too small for a normal sized pop riveter. I drilled the holes in the door card out to 7mm and used M5 rivets to fix the module. Bolts well greased of course to enable the next one to be fitted easily.

Paul.
Old Mar 18th, 2021, 09:42   #23
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
Do you know that volvo used 8.8 standard bolts?

I have high tensile M5 socket head that are 10.9 rated.

Surprisingly cheap in comparison to bigger sizes for 10.9 rated bolts. I bought them to fit a new door module to my xc70 when I found the gap between box and hole was too small for a normal sized pop riveter. I drilled the holes in the door card out to 7mm and used M5 rivets to fix the module. Bolts well greased of course to enable the next one to be fitted easily.

Paul.
Hi Paul This is engineering theory - something I know NOTHING about. Do you know how much stronger 8.8 rating is over 8.6? The lad at the engineering factors where I got my bolts said the allen bits I used which rounded out the the filter bolts, he thought were 12 point something which is why they gouged out the bolt innards - that and the fact they were corroded to hell and back..

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2021, 09:55   #24
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Maybe an idea?
Clean as much rust off the bolt & areas as you can:~ make a well out of plasticine or similar around each fastener securely adhered etc.

Fill the well with your favorite releasing fluid and then leave it as long as you can-the concentration of fluid for longer may just help and creep further.
Good Luck
Bob.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2021, 18:10   #25
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
Hi Paul This is engineering theory - something I know NOTHING about. Do you know how much stronger 8.8 rating is over 8.6? The lad at the engineering factors where I got my bolts said the allen bits I used which rounded out the the filter bolts, he thought were 12 point something which is why they gouged out the bolt innards - that and the fact they were corroded to hell and back..

Cheers
Bob
Ohhh err. I know the numbers reffered to tensile strength which is longitudeital strength , what you are talking about is torque or sheer strength ie resistance to turning force. Which will depend upon the material the bolts are made of.

Your test with the torque wrench with clamped bolts recorded a figure where the bolt failed, however I have found this to vary dependent on not 9nly the material but the shape of the head. Dome headed fail far quicker than square shouldered socket headed bolts of the same material, as I find the hex socket rounds out before the bolt snaps. I avoid dome headed bolts where ever possible for this reason.

I mainly have to deal with stainless steel grub screws, the heads of which are often below the surface of the aluminium housing. Invariably the socket fails before the bolt. Stainless steel bolts also have a treacle tendency to spalding. I know engineers whom use a galvanised nut with a stainless steel bolt for this reason. Again try undoing a spalled stainless nut and bolt. Better off cutting it off and start again. Plenty of grease is the only remedy I have found.

Not a lot of help to you I know. By now my head would of gone and it would be off the car and fix it once and for all, I appreciate you are trying to avoid this. But my patience would of been exhausted and I could not live with knowing I had failed. Have cost myself thousands over the years, but it was that or loose sleep with it niggling at me.

Can you get an old fashioned impact driver in there, the type you hit with a hammer? If so buy a couple of alun key sockets from Halfords of the size you need, buy the proffesional range with have lifetime garentee. That type of impact driver you can get for around £15 ish. Fit key to impact driver, fit to bolt, line it up square and welly with a big hammer. The cast bit will snap before the bolt, that's why you buy with lifetime garentee, take it back and try again untill it's out.
While I have makita impact drivers I still use the the hit it one especially for the applications where too much torque lands you in a world of pain as the makitas will round the socket head before you can let the trigger go.

Paul.