Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Metallic Rattle front left over bumps

Views : 598

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 25th, 2021, 19:25   #1
macdoni93

Default XC60 Metallic Rattle front left over bumps

Hi,

I can hear a metallic rattle when going over bumps from the front left area of my 2012 XC60 D3 (96k). I can only describe it as if a spanner was rattling around somewhere in the left side of the engine compartment, but only when going over a bump.

I've had the front wheel off - everything is solid (at first I thought the disc shield was loose), the bottom tray off (nothing there) and checked all of the exhaust brackets and heat shields etc. I've also had the glovebox out to see if anything was rattling behind but nothing.

About two weeks ago there was a loud bang when I drove down a small bump at the end of my drive - I thought I'd hit something in the dark but nothing. It was strange at the time but after giving the car a good check over and then carefully driving it for a few miles I forgot about it, until now. Everything drives, steers and brakes fine so I'm at a loss, although I did read online that it was possibly an upper spring seat.....

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks
macdoni93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2021, 20:08   #2
Deck1ng
Master Member

Spring.
Only a thought.
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deck1ng For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 25th, 2021, 22:06   #3
ideford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck1ng View Post
Spring.
Only a thought.
Second that. Mine made similar noises when it went (well - all 4 went over a period of 18 months). Didn't notice any different in handling etc. I even pulled a section (about a 1/3 of a turn) from the Front Right and drove 200 miles home. It had been rattling for a good 50 miles before I managed to determine what it was.
ideford is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ideford For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 25th, 2021, 22:22   #4
Whyman
Premier Member

Had exactly what you described on mine. 3 inch piece had broken off the bottom of the spring but was still on the cup in the strut.

Drove OK but did fell not quite right. In the end the bit fell out on the drive. Used a camera on a probe to see the break on the bottom of the spring as you could not see it with the car jacked up and the wheel off.
Old Mar 25th, 2021, 22:55   #5
macdoni93

Thanks folks. I had a look at the bottom of the strut & spring when I had the wheel off, but it looked ok. I'll have a closer look this weekend.

Having changed a CV joint on the other side last year, the strut looks like a complete swine to get off the hub (in order to change the spring), as it seems to sit in a socket in the hub. Did any of you guys change the spring yourselves?

Cheers
Old Mar 25th, 2021, 23:58   #6
JGEM

Default Changing front springs

I did the front struts recently and did it the tedious way by removing bottom control arm. You do need a good quality spring compressor but otherwise all fairly standard tools. Not being a pro and doing it at ground levelI would budget on a minimum of 2 hours per side

Here's a link to the relevant thread

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...60+front+strut
JGEM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JGEM For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2021, 07:55   #7
macdoni93

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGEM View Post
I did the front struts recently and did it the tedious way by removing bottom control arm. You do need a good quality spring compressor but otherwise all fairly standard tools. Not being a pro and doing it at ground levelI would budget on a minimum of 2 hours per side

Here's a link to the relevant thread

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...60+front+strut
Thanks for the link - that's a great breakdown of the job

I ended up taking the control arm out when I did the CV joint last year, as I couldn't lever it far enough from the hub to separate it - only needed a few mm more movement but I couldn't get it with the car on the deck. I was a bit worried the strut would be corroded into the socket, but that's a good tip on spreading the socket using the screw.

Looks like I've got a busy weekend......