Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo PV544

Views : 4050

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 3rd, 2021, 08:36   #31
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

PVs don't command a high price so for £10 or £11k you should expect a nice car. There aren't a lot about and they're stylish cars.
Old May 3rd, 2021, 08:55   #32
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishor kassie View Post
Hi Allan

My PV544 is better than that one. Come and see mine, test drive and see the records.
Ta Kassie 07828879494
Kassie, what's your lowest price for the PV? :-)
Old May 3rd, 2021, 09:51   #33
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
You are right John, I should do some research rather than dive into buying the first PV544 I see on a whim.
I wasn't thinking specifically of research, Alan, although that is never a bad idea. You mentioned in your opening post that you had not even seen a PV 'up close'. The 'National' would almost certainly be a rare opportunity to see several in one place at the same time.

Like you, their owners have usually invested considerable time and effort in the cars. They are justifiably proud of them and are generally very happy to talk about them with interested parties. Not only that, but it is a cracking day out in it's own right.

I know the RB would not be out of place and you would both be most welcome. You would very likely find some useful spares and you might even see a car that is for sale which sparks your interest.

Regards, John.
Old May 3rd, 2021, 10:11   #34
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
... I should do some research rather than dive into buying the first PV544 I see on a whim.
I dunno about that! If you weren't especially worried about spending 10K on a whim perhaps research would spoil the adventure?

If you wanted the car to be used frequently like a "modern classic" then I'd view any possibilites in terms of what upgrades they have had. My car ended up having a whole load of stuff I had no idea about before I bought the car.

Things to look out for (if you want something that will be a bit more "modern")

I've got a B20 engine and a 4 speed gearbox, front disc brakes, a weber carb on the B20 (now quite a rare version if I remember correctly), earlyish Amazon front seats (meant to be more comfortable), it has a block heater, spot lights (the posh French ones - can't remember the name today!), electronic ignition, a variable speed wiper mod, a tow bar...

...it will have an electric cooling fan, a very different wiring loom, perhaps a heated rear window, some sound deadening, a new interior and a hidden sound system.

####

The reason why I bought my car on a whim was

1) a very attractive price
2) the styling looking at it from the back - it has a very nice bum
3) head room is brilliant for a large chap (no silly sunroofs in the way like in my W201 Mercedes)
4) spares availability and great online knowledge
5) originally well built
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Army For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2021, 11:37   #35
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

That sounds like a very well-sorted example, 'Army'.

That is a big advantage of Volvos of the era; successive models were evolutionary and not revolutionary. Engines, particularly, were carried over from earlier cars to later. This means that, as you rightly say, they can be relatively easily, cheaply and quickly updated and improved, the better to meet the increased demands of use today.

Will you be at Uttoxeter?

Regards, John.
Old May 3rd, 2021, 12:57   #36
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post

Will you be at Uttoxeter?

Regards, John.
I'd love to get back to the UK to visit friends and family and for people from the UK to come and see me here in Holland again but as things are (being a member of a more at risk group) I need to take it at a different pace.

The lockdown and vaccination program here in the Netherlands has been "typically Dutch":- This isn't really a nation of people who do things - there are lots of meetings, lots of debate but very little action. In particular if anything has to involve Dutch civil servants you can be assured of mighty **** ups and silly slow reactions to obvious urgent situations.

If I get a jab before Christmas I'll be surprised.
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Army For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2021, 13:23   #37
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Understood. I had my second 'jab' just over a week ago and my wife has hers next Wednesday. If the UK have got anything right in this whole sorry mess it is the vaccination program - due credit for that.

Regards, John.
Old May 3rd, 2021, 16:29   #38
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army View Post
I'd love to get back to the UK to visit friends and family and for people from the UK to come and see me here in Holland again but as things are (being a member of a more at risk group) I need to take it at a different pace.

The lockdown and vaccination program here in the Netherlands has been "typically Dutch":- This isn't really a nation of people who do things - there are lots of meetings, lots of debate but very little action. In particular if anything has to involve Dutch civil servants you can be assured of mighty **** ups and silly slow reactions to obvious urgent situations.

If I get a jab before Christmas I'll be surprised.
I know what you mean! I lived down in the southern Netherlands (in Limburg) for two years. All government business took so long, in particular the state medical services that made the NHS here in the UK seem very sprightly indeed.

:-)
Old May 3rd, 2021, 16:29   #39
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Understood. I had my second 'jab' just over a week ago and my wife has hers next Wednesday. If the UK have got anything right in this whole sorry mess it is the vaccination program - due credit for that.

Regards, John.
Absolutely!
Old May 4th, 2021, 15:26   #40
skysurfer
VOC Member

This car was previously up for sale privately at less than £10k but sold on to a dealer who has obviously added his premium. There's also a red one coming up for sale at Orchard Classics at around £13k which has had a lot of money spent on performance enhancements. The beige one looks nice but the red one is probably the better value buy....
skysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skysurfer For This Useful Post: