Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advanced/Performance Driving Courses?

Views : 2913

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 4th, 2021, 22:48   #21
MikeGMT
VOC Member

A very enlightening resume ilmiont, and I applaud your attitude and commitment to improving your driving. You have covered all the bases there with your aspirations and where you want to go, also the general consensus of the wider driving public towards advanced driving, especially the younger generation. A lot of drivers aspire to own something fast and sporty, granted they can drive, but I always feel they are missing out so much by not taking any further tuition, especially the keener types who cherish their cars and spend a lot of money on modifications.

I always find it quite enlightening when I coach some of the younger drivers when we have stopped for a refreshment break after a few hours driving. Asking them how they think it’s going and they invariably say things like ‘I never knew you could do that’ or ‘that made a massive difference, I could really feel the car respond’. Even down to the way they change gears.

With regard to reading material, definitely get Roadcraft, that is the Bible for advanced driving. Find a coach who can help you apply the principles and you will be well on the way.

If you don’t mind travelling for some tuition Reg Local would be well worth contacting, thats his ’nom de plume’. Class 1 Roads Policing Officer and Police Driving Instructor recently taken early retirement. He has a web site and some excellent YouTube videos covering all the aspects.

http://www.reglocal.com
http://www.reglocal.com/my-videos/

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Mike
Old May 4th, 2021, 23:14   #22
Dibble
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
Correct, as has been said several times already, the road is not the place to find your limits.

I was on traffic for several years and the advanced driving course was a very intensive 3 weeks . The big difference with this compared to civilian advanced driving is that you are often pushing on at 140mph plus on a daily basis and believe me that is very tiring, particularly once you start having to do commentary, as well as being all too aware of the SAFETY OF OTHER ROAD USERS.

I can remember finishing the course with a Class 1 and thinking that I was quick. I then got crewed with a guy that had been on traffic for years and the difference in speed and ability was massive. It takes time but driving very quickly on a daily basis hones the skill to another level.

Sad to say that I have well and truly lost that edge now and am happy to bimble about listening to Classic FM.............😁

Your last sentence just about sums it up although I can still show them a clean pair of heels. They just see an old codger in his old C70, T5, then get a surprise when they cannot manage to pass! It was 4 weeks for us up north. Brilliant course but great experience. Big difference from being on a track to being on the open road.
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dibble For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2021, 23:18   #23
Polestar Pete
Polestar

Reg Local also wrote a book on road craft. You should be able to find it on Amazon.

There’s.a wealth of information on the internet/books/courses, but you’ll most likely find that building experience and learning from your own mistakes forms the best abs highly personal training. Looks like you’re already building those foundations for yourself.

XC60 T8 R Design Pro
Polestar Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Polestar Pete For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2021, 08:35   #24
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibble View Post
Your last sentence just about sums it up although I can still show them a clean pair of heels. They just see an old codger in his old C70, T5, then get a surprise when they cannot manage to pass! It was 4 weeks for us up north. Brilliant course but great experience. Big difference from being on a track to being on the open road.

Correct, my mistake Dibble, 4 weeks advanced driving course for us as well.

3 weeks for the advanced bike course , ( still passionate about them and couldn't pack in voluntarily )

We also used to get a 2 week refresher now and again which was very enjoyable.

Told you I had lost the edge.............................

NURSE!!!!!! ...................................

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic

Last edited by S60D5-185; May 5th, 2021 at 08:40.
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2021, 08:54   #25
eternal optimist
Master Member

What a great thread this has become.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eternal optimist For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2021, 10:49   #26
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal optimist View Post
What a great thread this has become.
Yes, a great thread. Anything to do with driving grabs my interest. I know how a car 'works' and can do basic maintenance, and kudos to the members on here who can do the more technical side of things, but my interest lies in what the car can do once you get it rolling.

Over the years i have picked up some great tips and tricks once I got the advanced driving bug, and had some brilliant tutors riding shotgun, including Class1 Roads Policing Officers and Police Driving Instructors, cajoling me and ripping my driving to bits, all in a fun way though, and in the best possible taste. Hats of to those guys. If you ever get the chance to drive with one grab it with both hands.

How many people know that hazard lines, the long ones, have one cats eye per line and the normal centre line has one cats eye every two lines. So when you are out night driving and the headlights pick up twice as many cats eyes you know there is some potential hazard ahead. I didn't, when I first learnt to drive. Just a bit of trivia.
Old May 5th, 2021, 12:14   #27
JamesN7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmiont View Post
Everyone here has been surprisingly receptive to my question, in other quarters it does sadly seem that 22 years and "advanced driving" are an immediate taboo. Yes I really am a Volvo driver and Classic FM listener, really don't want to be associated with other forms of young driver, that's part of why I'm committed to making tangible efforts to improve technique.
Your attitude is not typical of most 22 year olds, sadly. I certainly wasn't anywhere near as sensible at that age

I had a dig through some [very] old email conversations with like minded folk (including a chap who used to be a class 1 instructor instructor - ie taught the people who teach the class 1 drivers) and found another book for your reading list: "Mind driving" by Steve Haley

Also, get a pre-1997 copy of "Roadcraft" if you can (It got watered down after that). Abe books has a tonne of them for little more than beer money.

Worth a look:

http://www.high-performance-course.com/

Some other reading material (via archive.org as no longer online AFAICT):
https://web.archive.org/web/20110222...rds/index.html

J
Old May 5th, 2021, 12:30   #28
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

I think you need to divide up what you are looking to achieve.

1) You want to see what the car can do - a track day with an instructor would be the best bet. A course such as Blyton Park would probably be best to start with as it has plenty of run off so you won't bin it if you make an error. A big heavy FWD car with ABS and traction control will be very forgiving.

2) You want to improve your driving technique - again a track day is going to be the best bet where you can practice in a controlled environment. See if any of your friends do track days and try and get yourself added as an extra driver on their car (it's usually only £30 extra) if they will let you. That way you don't bend your own car if you get it wrong...

3) You want to improve your "perception" skills (I call it "the force" - star wars fan) This to a large extent comes purely from experience in my opinion. I suppose you could put in a dash cam and try doing the commentary when driving along (noting speed limits, warning signs, hazards etc) then you can play it back and see if you missed anything. There used to be a short course you could do called "pass plus" which was 6 hours and could get you discount on your insurance if you passed. It was a widely available scheme but I don't know whether it's still available. From memory it's not hugely advanced but is probably the best to start as an initial step up from the driving test before considering more advanced schemes. EDIT - just checked and looks like Pass Plus is still available for circa £150 - £200.

From my experience I would bear in mind that there are 2 different limits: yours and the car.
Your limits for driving mainly come down to reaction time - which clearly can be affected by multiple factors and experience -which you only really gain by giving it a go.
Cars vary in their limits. My mx5 has different limits in terms of handling/braking from the S70 and also in how they feel when driving.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R

Last edited by acshortt5; May 5th, 2021 at 12:50.
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2021, 12:42   #29
CSZ

"How many people know that hazard lines, the long ones, have one cats eye per line and the normal centre line has one cats eye every two lines. So when you are out night driving and the headlights pick up twice as many cats eyes you know there is some potential hazard ahead. I didn't, when I first learnt to drive. Just a bit of trivia. "

That was one of the useful bits of information I picked up when I did my training for the IAM Advanced Driver test. Another was that the people charged with putting up road signs or road markings don't like to use any more paint than they have to. Therefore, if you see extra road markings, such as white lines on the nearside of a country road, or a traffic sign with a yellow background; they are there for a very good reason.
CSZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2021, 13:15   #30
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSZ View Post
That was one of the useful bits of information I picked up when I did my training for the IAM Advanced Driver test. Another was that the people charged with putting up road signs or road markings don't like to use any more paint than they have to. Therefore, if you see extra road markings, such as white lines on the nearside of a country road, or a traffic sign with a yellow background; they are there for a very good reason.
For sure. This is something that is stored in my RAM. It was explained quite eloquently to me . . . The More White, The More Sh*te.

Last edited by MikeGMT; May 5th, 2021 at 13:25. Reason: Sp
MikeGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeGMT For This Useful Post: