Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 Smarttop

Views : 749

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 9th, 2021, 21:10   #1
Willber G
Upstanding Member

Default C70 Smarttop

Fitted my Smarttop today. Took my mechanic about 15 minutes (£20). Great little gadget! Opening the roof using the remote means all the hot air is released before you get to the car, and closing it without leaving my house if it starts to rain will be nice. The one-touch feature inside means you can get yourself sorted out while the roof is working, and the ability to drive off before it is finished (up to 10 mph) is a bonus. Highly recommended.
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 21:32   #2
Baxlin
Old Rocker

I agree. It means too that you don’t have to sit there with your foot on the brake.

I also liked the setting that dipped the near side mirror when reverse is selected.
The Following User Says Thank You to Baxlin For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 21:42   #3
Willber G
Upstanding Member

I chose not to select the dipped-mirror option. I sometimes have to do tight manoeuvres in reverse so need both side mirrors in play. I use a seat memory position to dip the mirrors if required.
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 09:05   #4
Baxlin
Old Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willber G View Post
I chose not to select the dipped-mirror option. I sometimes have to do tight manoeuvres in reverse so need both side mirrors in play. I use a seat memory position to dip the mirrors if required.
I did that until I got the smart top!
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 15:10   #5
Willber G
Upstanding Member

I need the mirrors in the normal position when reversing more often than not. It's good to have the choice.

How long have you had yours, BTW? Do they 'wear out' in some way after a time?
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 20:27   #6
Baxlin
Old Rocker

I had the car for 4+ years, fitted the SmartTop after about a year, so 3 years. TBH it was about the only thing that didn’t go wrong on the car. Hence I no longer have it....🤫
Old Jun 11th, 2021, 16:54   #7
Willber G
Upstanding Member

I'd be happy with three years.
Old Jun 11th, 2021, 21:40   #8
Simmy
Premier Member

the c70 roof is complicated enough without adding the smart top and would make it difficult to fault find with vida so i decided against fitting one ... good luck with yours though .....
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2021, 00:26   #9
eagle58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
the c70 roof is complicated enough without adding the smart top and would make it difficult to fault find with vida so i decided against fitting one ... good luck with yours though .....
I'm with you on that. Thought about it but couldn't see the benefit versus buggering up the whole thing.
eagle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2021, 01:15   #10
Baxlin
Old Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle58 View Post
I'm with you on that. Thought about it but couldn't see the benefit versus buggering up the whole thing.
Did you try a car with one fitted?

I miss having a convertible, although I still have the open top 3 wheeler, as, most of the time, when I was on my own and it wasn’t raining, the C70’s top was down. So my roof mechanism had a lot of use. The only problem I had with the roof was before the SmartTop was fitted, the ‘yellow button’ stopped working, disabling the roof temporarily (in fact this happened on the test drive before I’d even bought the car!). So it was nothing to do with the SmartTop, when it happened again 4 years later. Volvo software identified a faulty sensor, the same as the previous time.

I’d go as far as to say having the convenience of one-touch and key fob opening of the roof transformed the car, and I don’t know why these weren’t OE. The 2006 Saab 9-3 vert I’d had two cars previously had key fob opening as standard.

Having said all that, one SmartTop feature I didn’t try, and never would, was to operate the roof with the car in motion. The gumph said it was OK up to, IIRC, 10 mph, but that was, to me, a no-no for several reasons.

But as ever, see my sig blow.
Malcolm

Last edited by Baxlin; Jun 12th, 2021 at 01:30.
Baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote