Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

40.9 mpg is the best i could achieve

Views : 6729

Replies : 97

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 10th, 2021, 21:05   #61
MrJames

So I filled the tank back up, it wasn't completely empty but 58.3L went in and I'd driven 630 miles by this point which based on actual fuel usage it returned 49.13MPG I'm pretty impressed by this for such an old car!
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 21:07   #62
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

that is pretty good even for a diesel from what I've read, I assume you do gentle acceleration and not driving fast?

that is a long distance though to be fair.. what's your urban like?

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 21:22   #63
MrJames

Well before the trip it was sat at 40mpg average, that's a mix of short drives to work ( about 8 miles each way ) and medium drives ( about 35 miles each way, mix of A road and B roads with small out in the sticks singletrack roads so crawling speeds )

Now it's sat at 43.4MPG
Old Jun 11th, 2021, 13:38   #64
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

I do mine the other way around which is arguably less accurate.. every week I let the needle get to start of the red (not as far as the light coming on), put fuel in, then log the number of litres on the receipt against mileage.

so i'm relying on gauging by eye where the needle is, but it's close enough to be reasonably accurate

if you're doing it by brimming the tank then noting mileage when you brim it again, theoretically that's more accurate because you can't over fill it can you

splitting hairs though really - it would only make a difference of about 0.5-1,mpg at worst.. and my 'errors' would average themselves out anyway because I have a weekly average and a cumulative average on my spreadsheet

then again if you don't need a full tank because you're only doing local trips, you're carrying around all that extra weight of fuel which is less economical. saying this if my last journey was anything to go by, these Volvo's don't seem to even notice being fully loaded! I literally couldn't squeeze any more in and it made not one even slightly noticeable difference to handling or braking

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Jun 11th, 2021 at 14:56.
Old Jun 11th, 2021, 14:27   #65
ASt85
Premier Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
I have a weekly average and a cumulative average on my spreadsheet
My current urban mpg tank top up to tank top up is currently 26.9mpg with an average speed of 12.7mph : considering it is a 2.3 T5 geartronic I'm reasonably pleased as the longest journey in the last 18 months was the round trip to to my preferred MOT garage a few months ago, Mick's MOTs in Rochester, some 5 miles away.

The owner, Mo, collected the car and returned it the same day - honest MOT, honest advice and always willing to provide help when needed.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2021, 15:55   #66
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Excerpted from above: "...if you don't need a full tank because you're only doing local trips, you're carrying around all that extra weight of fuel which is less economical. "

True, but I like having a full tank so there's less air space for atmospheric moisture. The purge cycles of the EVAP system draw in air from the outside.

My long trips are less than 1/2 tank away. I let it go down during the outing but make sure it's full when I park it once home. This goes double when rain is predicted.

Hey, if my aversion to moisture in a fuel system is a throwback to steel tanks (which my '07 has) or is insignificant due to the alcohol in our petrol (alcohol attaches to water molecules and passes it with the petrol) then the joke's on me.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2021, 17:54   #67
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

well it's an interesting different perspective I suppose.. I've not heard that before

I suppose there's not really a lot in it, the whole 'less economical' thing is theoretically correct but how much real word difference it makes? I dunno. would be suprised if it was more than 1mpg. probably the worst things are whatever causes more drag, like rolling resistance from low tyre pressures, air resistance from things on the roof rack, windows open etc.

if you fill the tank up all the time, maybe just go up 1 or 2 psi on the wheels and it counteracts the difference?

total guesswork of course

mini project - link
Old Jun 13th, 2021, 02:54   #68
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

I'd no sooner adjust my tire pressure to fuel load than for passengers of differing weights.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2021, 03:03   #69
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
Excerpted from above: "...if you don't need a full tank because you're only doing local trips, you're carrying around all that extra weight of fuel which is less economical. "

True, but I like having a full tank so there's less air space for atmospheric moisture. The purge cycles of the EVAP system draw in air from the outside.

My long trips are less than 1/2 tank away. I let it go down during the outing but make sure it's full when I park it once home. This goes double when rain is predicted.

Hey, if my aversion to moisture in a fuel system is a throwback to steel tanks (which my '07 has) or is insignificant due to the alcohol in our petrol (alcohol attaches to water molecules and passes it with the petrol) then the joke's on me.
Not so sure about atmospheric moisture (humidity) myself, more likely to be condensation due to temp differences.

I cannot remember the last time i filled a full tank, damn, that was a straight up lie, i filled 3 jerry cans end of last autumn, a kind of tanks i suppose, then i brimmed th mower tank a few times but then i spose we are talking vehicle tanks so back to those, nope, still cannot remember the last time i filled to the top, there was my old K4 GSXR 1000, i used to brim that, that was back in 2004, i am trying to figure out if i went up to see my mum before she passed before or after then, ah hold on, i took my 1st ever dog up to see her, that was 2012 as he was about 6-8 months, so there ya have it, last time was 2012. and in all my years of driving, never had an issue with water and fuel, i rarely fill to the top, i work on the weight idea myself.

When i used to have my T5's, i could tell when i had someone else in the car with me, well, namely my mate that was about 14st, the power was lower, 100% straight up, i could tell, and if the power is lower, it means its using more fuel too, so over time that extra 1/4 to 1/2 a tank is deffo gonna cost you and theres no reason to do so re moisture. If its just to keep a full tank in case of, thats different in spose, depends how often that "case of" happens...

Well, thats me rambling on a bit, carry on.....
Old Jun 13th, 2021, 09:31   #70
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
I'd no sooner adjust my tire pressure to fuel load than for passengers of differing weights.

Well it'd be worth doing it once, if you're always in possession of a full tank. I didn't mean let air out as you use fuel and top them back up when you fill it again

mini project - link