Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 starts when cold, runs for 10 mins then cuts out

Views : 408

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 30th, 2021, 17:57   #1
Dusty Miller

Default C70 starts when cold, runs for 10 mins then cuts out

C70 2005 convertible. Starts when cool/cold and runs for exactly 10 mins then cuts out. Thought it was a fuel problem so prior to taking to local garage replaced fuel pump relay, fuel pump, temp sensor and cleaned the MAF. Wasted effort but never mind. Then to local garage and their OBD revealed engine idle speed missing so replaced crank shaft sensor after which it started but cut out so cam shaft sensor replaced too. Thought that was problem solved but it just starts then cuts out after 10 and won't restart until cool. So at least it starts now!!! Local garage stumped, can do no more and reckon it's the ECU. Seems heat related. Could the ECU play up when the engine is warm? Well it's in that black plastic box and I can't see it getting that hot really but I don't know. I have yet to replace the fuel filter. Any ideas?
Dusty Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2021, 08:07   #2
turboboy
Master Member

Default Engine cutting out

It probably will not the fuel filter but it would be worth changing if you have done all the other work.

They are not hard to change. Did mine (and also the one on our VW Golf) earlier this year and only problem was neither had, to my knowledge, ever been changed and the V70's definitely looked like the original.

Years ago I had a Mk2 Jag which would start and run beautifully but sometimes stop for no apparent reason. Leaving it to stand for ten or so minutes seemed to cure it until next time. Once it did it on a narrow country road and I had to push it out of the way as I was blocking the road. Two very nice policemen helped me and I was sweating on them asking me about the car's MOT status (which was not up to date!).

Long story, short. It turned out to be a blocked fuel filter.

Current: 1998 Volvo V70 2.3 T5 Auto.

Previous: 2000 Volvo V40 T4; 1981/2 265 (x2); 1988 740 Turbo Estate.
turboboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2021, 15:07   #3
David Gibbs

Default Fuel filter

Should be changed at least every three years dependant on usage also if tank often low in fuel the flacked inner paint and dirty petrol can cause the filter to block although it appears clean

This item is seldom covered by a garage at times of service
David Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2021, 20:22   #4
Cookeh
Premier Member

Fuel pump relays are a common match for these symptoms of hot starting issues.
Old Jul 2nd, 2021, 13:09   #5
Simmy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Miller View Post
C70 2005 convertible. Starts when cool/cold and runs for exactly 10 mins then cuts out. Thought it was a fuel problem so prior to taking to local garage replaced fuel pump relay, fuel pump, temp sensor and cleaned the MAF. Wasted effort but never mind. Then to local garage and their OBD revealed engine idle speed missing so replaced crank shaft sensor after which it started but cut out so cam shaft sensor replaced too. Thought that was problem solved but it just starts then cuts out after 10 and won't restart until cool. So at least it starts now!!! Local garage stumped, can do no more and reckon it's the ECU. Seems heat related. Could the ECU play up when the engine is warm? Well it's in that black plastic box and I can't see it getting that hot really but I don't know. I have yet to replace the fuel filter. Any ideas?
is your car a daily driver or an ocasional car? how old is the fuel in the tank? modern fuels dont store to well and leave deposits. also ethanol in current fuels have been known to affect rubber fuel lines this kind of problem also affects older motor cycles...
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2021, 17:47   #6
C70 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Miller View Post
I had that exact same thing happen to my -99 C70 T5 a few years ago, not even the local Volvo dealership knew what it could be. Started fine when cold, drove fine until up to temperature, started jerking and eventually cutting out, all warning lights lit up and it either started straight again and cut out half a mile later, or then didnt start at all before cold again. As said, not even the local dealership knew why. What, probably, did the trick though, was to take the ECU out and put it back in a couple of times, after that it worked as normal again.
Must have been a bad connection or something that somehow sorted itself out just by taking the ECU out, possibly moist gotten inside the box, I replaced the lid on it and the car has been working ever since.
C70 98 is offline   Reply With Quote