Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 D5 2005 - Steering woes and unbelievable sounds.

Views : 552

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 5th, 2021, 07:57   #1
Mcbonio

Default XC90 D5 2005 - Steering woes and unbelievable sounds.

Morning all.!

So recently I purchased a 2005 D5 XC90 auto. Great car and very useful as I live in the country although shes not without her issues. I'm handy with cars and have experience with Volvo as we own a 2010 V50 D5 manual.

So issue is this, when turning the steering wheel the left wheel has a noticeable 'pop' which jolts the steering wheel.

When in motion, pressing the brake also creates the same 'pop' which the car jolts to the right then straightens up when you let off the brake.

When the car is cold, you can't hear much noise from the front end when driving, when it's warmed up it's clanking, popping, creaking, snapping, it's terrible, everyone in street looks over.

+ " Squeak and pop with wheel turned out. " via YouTube
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I've gone over the suspension as follows,

Lower control arms - NEW.

Sway bar links. - NEW.

Lower ball joints . Good and still tight.

Inner and outer tie rods. Shows play when opposite wheel is on the floor but not when both are raised..

Strut mounts, feel good. Can't turn 21mm bolt more than half inch before mount springs back.

Here i'm doing 6 and 12 o'clock wiggle and then 9 and 3. There is play on the 9 and 3 wiggle, but only when one wheel is off the floor.

+ " One wheel off ground, noticeable play at 3 and 9 o'clock. " via YouTube
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Here you can see me turning the rack with both wheels off the ground. You can hear some clanking from what sounds like the steering rack but not the same level as noise as when the wheels are on the ground. The inner tie rod has no play when I detach it and check for play by hand... which is odd as the symptoms are pointing towards a bad inner tie rod.. press brake and car jolts to right.

+ " Both wheels off ground, some steering rack clunk. " via YouTube

Thank you for reading, any help would be appreciated.!

Last edited by Mcbonio; Aug 5th, 2021 at 08:35.
Mcbonio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mcbonio For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 09:19   #2
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Morning. There may be play in the tie rod or rack, but it may take quite a bit of load to make it apparent, possibly more than your arm can provide.

It does sound a bit strut-mounty to my ear, and that is a common age related failure, but I couldn't swear hand on heart from a video alone. It needs to get properly up in the air, all the wheels unloaded, for a good prod.

Good luck.
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 09:42   #3
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Couple of points.

1. That noise almost sounds like something touching the front exhaust heat shield which is near the angle gear.

This can happen if the rear engine mount is worn out and allowing the engine to sit lower. Easy to check if you get underneath.

2. Years ago, I had a Saab 99 and when cornering, the car would sudenly, momentarily lurch to one side and then settle again.

Like you I checked everything but eventually it was traced to a bottom ball joint that did not show any wear when tested conventionally. Once removed it was obviously shot.

Let us know how you get on. 👍

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 09:49   #4
Kev0607
Premier Member

Looks like tie rods (outer) & strut mounts. Put your hand on the spring whilst someone turns the wheel to see if it does any “skipping” or jolting. That indicates worn strut mounts.

That squeak in the first video is the noise a bad ball joint makes, but it could also be tie rod related. Make sure you check the ball joints properly for any play. Get a pry bar underneath the wheel, lift up & down whilst someone puts their hand on the ball joint or is actually looking at it whilst you move the bar. Any excessive movement should be easily seen.

Check the condition of the actual springs around the shock absorbers, as they can make a racket if cracked or broken.

Here’s a video that shows testing the tie rods & explains what to look for/feel;

+ YouTube Video

These items should be replaced in pairs & you’ll need an alignment afterwards.

My guess is worn strut mounts & worn outer tie rod ends.

Last edited by Kev0607; Aug 5th, 2021 at 10:04.
Kev0607 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 10:03   #5
ltec

The first video sounds like strut bearing creaking and it would jump as well if half siezed. Look in at the spring and see if the spring is twisting and jumping when Turning steering and touch the spring while someone is turning the steering too to make it creak. If it is, you'll feel the spring tingling.

Last edited by ltec; Aug 5th, 2021 at 12:55.
ltec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 20:31   #6
Mcbonio

Well well well, seems like it was an easy fix after all.

it was the 18/21mm lower control arm bolt. No matter how tight I made it, the LCA still jumped around in the carrier.

New bolt from Volvo did the trick.!
Mcbonio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mcbonio For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 21:05   #7
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcbonio View Post
Well well well, seems like it was an easy fix after all.

it was the 18/21mm lower control arm bolt. No matter how tight I made it, the LCA still jumped around in the carrier.

New bolt from Volvo did the trick.!
That I find hard to believe!

I suppose stranger has happened, but one bolt caused those terrible noises you described!?