Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70r awd towbar

Views : 578

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 27th, 2021, 14:21   #1
DLM48
Master Member

Default V70r awd towbar

I need a towbar on the 2004 V70R AWD for our Thule towbar mounted bike rack

I am having real difficulty finding the correct bar {I would like a detachable ball one}

probably going to fit it myself but open to all options

I am in west central Scotland

thanks

for any and all help here
V70 Classic 2.4 20V sold on VoS FB page in a few hours
Present - C70 2.4 SE GearTronic - V70R AWD Prins II LPG 2.5 GearTronic
DLM48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2021, 09:49   #2
DLM48
Master Member

YES it can be done without going down the Volvo dealer route, cost there being around £800+

I could not find a modular detachable ball Tow-Bar so had to ditch the detachable Ball Version

TWO issues on my car,

ONE is the standard V70R AWD one

The V70R AWD has a much larger twin pipe silencer, leaving no room to fit the tow-bar outriggers that attach to the chassis. They are L shaped, with the vertical part of the L being outboard. Then there is the exhaust hanger bracket shaft to be considered.

Secondly, since my car is LPG the fill pipe was routed into the tank going through the body exactly where the outrigger would go on the offside just below the chassis rail where the outrigger bracket was to be fixed.

NO ONE does a tow-bar for this car apart from Volvo... I did not go down that route as the basic price for the bar alone was astronomical, plus they could not give a firm and fast fixed price for installation.

SO had lots of fun searching online and came up with P F Jones

https://www.pfjones.co.uk/volvo-v70-...ck-towbar.html

This is a modular design with detachable outriggers, so looking hard at the pictures I decided that these outriggers could be swapped side for side {this actually was the case real time}

https://www.pfjones.co.uk/westfalia_fitting/320090.pdf

BUT while this was GERMAN ENGINEERING the nuts that were welded onto the main crossbar were not properly aligned with the slotted holes, what a RPITA that was sorting that one out. ONE of them was so tight I had to resort to my very long master bar to get the bolt tight and the thread was being reformed as the bolt went into the pre welded on nut!!!!!

I had more fun getting the bumper off with the LPG Tank in the spare wheel recess, and I had to relocate the fill pipe forward of the off side outrigger. Also, as Volvo only uses the front two fixings, the rear one was full of crud and needed to be cleaned out before it would take the third fixing bolt for the outrigger.

Fixed the outriggers loosely and then tried to fit the crossbar NO WAY was that going to work so loosely fitted the outriggers to the crossbar and offered it up to the car

With a wee bit of effort and another pair of hands I got one of the three a side bolts in on each side and then getting the other two {four} in was relatively easy with a big lever and some cursing and swearing.

Cutting the bumper was fun as well, and it took three or four cuts to get it exactly correct

Still to fit the electrics and buy the car specific wiring kit

https://www.pfjones.co.uk/volvo-v70-...9260502pf.html

PHEW

PICS SOON
The Following User Says Thank You to DLM48 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 12th, 2021, 13:19   #3
MrJames

I've just bought a towbar for my parents XC60 ended up buying the Brink detachable one which strangely looks like the actual Volvo one! It was stupidly easy to fit as well, apart from cutting the bumper which I took time doing the rest was done in about 1.5 - 2 hours.
Old Aug 13th, 2021, 00:46   #4
b1mcp

@DLM48

I have a brand new sealed genuine Volvo tow bar wiring loom for V70. I'll dig it out tomorrow and check the part no. If suitable you can have it for cost of postage + £10 to charity.

Sound reasonable?
Old Aug 13th, 2021, 13:15   #5
100K+
Premier Member

Many years ago I ran a 2002 V70 T5, bought a year old from dealer. They fitted a tow bar before I collected the car. 95% sure it was a genuine Volvo (5% says it was a Witter bar) Either case it was a non detachable version. When I scrapped said T5 some 12 yrs later, I transferred this tow bar and electrics to my 2004 AWD R. There was talk about the need for "spacer" pieces on a thread that was discussing whether a V70 bar would fit a XC70 ( which needed the spacer pieces- IIRC something to do with the ride height being different???) but in any case "spacer" bits were not fitted to the AWD R, and the bar was simple to fit with no real complications - the rear hanger issue you mentioned was easily over come, and although I only used it to pull my van once ( It did pull a small camping trailer for various local journeys usually with rubbish for the tip) I never had any issues.
I assume the bar fitted straightforwardly as it was a Volvo bar and there is very little suspension height difference between the V70 & AWD R.

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2021, 11:06   #6
DLM48
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1mcp View Post
@DLM48

I have a brand new sealed genuine Volvo tow bar wiring loom for V70. I'll dig it out tomorrow and check the part no. If suitable you can have it for cost of postage + £10 to charity.

Sound reasonable?
YES PLEASE PM me please and we can sort out payment and delivery details

thanks