Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

760 no brake fluid on RHS?

Views : 585

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 30th, 2021, 08:31   #1
russwinchester

Default 760 no brake fluid on RHS?

Hi all, getting so close to MOT readiness but I now have this little challenge...

Bought a Gunson Easibleed to refresh the 10 year matured brake fluid. Went to near side rear wheel, (i.e. furthest away) out comes the fluid. Off side rear...nothing? Near side front...out comes the fluid. Off side front...nothing.

A quick read says that perhaps it is flexi hoses breaking down inside, did try to start unbolting last night but it's all seized and I gave up.

Having slept on it it does seem strange that it's both the offside brakes; I did disconnect one of the hoses that come out of the big underbonnet aluminium block (?) marked R and L before it goes to the wheels and there was fluid there.

Before I start tearing things to pieces advice as always would be welcome...thanks all.
russwinchester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to russwinchester For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2021, 12:42   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russwinchester View Post
Hi all, getting so close to MOT readiness but I now have this little challenge...

Bought a Gunson Easibleed to refresh the 10 year matured brake fluid. Went to near side rear wheel, (i.e. furthest away) out comes the fluid. Off side rear...nothing? Near side front...out comes the fluid. Off side front...nothing.

A quick read says that perhaps it is flexi hoses breaking down inside, did try to start unbolting last night but it's all seized and I gave up.

Having slept on it it does seem strange that it's both the offside brakes; I did disconnect one of the hoses that come out of the big underbonnet aluminium block (?) marked R and L before it goes to the wheels and there was fluid there.

Before I start tearing things to pieces advice as always would be welcome...thanks all.
There's something not right there Russ.

The braking system is diagonally split so whatever the problem is, it's not just on the right hand side. You have fluid at your ABS modulator (the aluminium block on the right hand inner wing - it's not a great idea to unbolt pipework from that unless you really need to) but how far were you undoing the bleed nipples on each caliper?

I've found the Volvo nipples seem to like 1/2 turn before flowing as they should. It might even be worth completely removing the nipple (Easibleed NOT connected!) to see if fluid flows out of the caliper under gravity. Then check to see if anything is blocking the nipples. What you could do if you can reach both, have your air source (spare wheel) sat in the engine bay near the Easibleed and also the OSF wheelarch, have the bleed nipple out but ready to go in and connect the Easibleed - if fluid starts flowing (it'll be quick if it does so you'll need to be quick too!) refit the nipple and check fluid is coming out as it should.

Let us know how you get on and i'll have a think about any other possibilities.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2021, 20:15   #3
Ian21401
Premier Member

I agree with Dave’s hypothesis. Make sure that you have reconnected and tightened the modulator unions. I usually loosen the bleed nipples almost a full turn. It’s not uncommon for the bleed nipples to become blocked especially if the rubber caps are missing. It has happened to me occasionally in the past. I always ensure that I have refitted the rubber caps on the nipples when the job is finished.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2021, 21:43   #4
russwinchester

So I've had both RH bleed nipples completely out, and no fluid is there at all at the bleed nipples when under pressure. I'm thinking of removing the flexi hoses to check for flow, hopefully these are pretty universal parts and not going to cost me an arm and a leg!
russwinchester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to russwinchester For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2021, 22:10   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russwinchester View Post
So I've had both RH bleed nipples completely out, and no fluid is there at all at the bleed nipples when under pressure. I'm thinking of removing the flexi hoses to check for flow, hopefully these are pretty universal parts and not going to cost me an arm and a leg!
Try rockauto.com for flexis Russ, even with the S&H (USA version of P&P), customs etc they're still cheap. Think mine came to about a tenner all in.

Before you remove the flexis though, trace the brake lines back from the right hand wheel to the ABS modulator and see if you can force fluid out of the union by using the Easibleed and slightly cracking the union on it.

If so, do the union back up and move your attention to the banjo bolt if you have them on the calipers. Fairly sure the flexi has a threaded end and screws in without double checking though so you may have to loosen the flexi in the caliper then remove the caliper and turn it round and round to unscrew it from the flexi. Repet the Easibleed test with just the flexi on the end.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 1st, 2021, 06:27   #6
mjk164
VOC Member

Russ, Dave is right. Disconnect the flexis on the "up" side and see if there is fluid flow. On old cars with perhaps original flex pipes, I have known them to de-laminate on the inside so you can't see it, and block the pipe internally.
mjk164 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mjk164 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 1st, 2021, 06:42   #7
360beast
Go redblock or go home

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/pagid...hose-135660238

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/pagid...hose-135660518
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 1st, 2021, 22:42   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

You forgot the "SALE60" promo code Luke!

Drops the price to about £11 and £13 for those hoses.

Old Oct 2nd, 2021, 07:38   #9
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
You forgot the "SALE60" promo code Luke!

Drops the price to about £11 and £13 for those hoses.
It is automatically applied to stuff for sale on euro car parts now. It shows the normal price and when you add it to the basket the price drops.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2021, 11:18   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
It is automatically applied to stuff for sale on euro car parts now. It shows the normal price and when you add it to the basket the price drops.
Didn't realise it was auto-applied Luke! Shows how long it is since i used ECP!