Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 804193

Replies : 6184

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 14th, 2021, 08:51   #1131
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Mot history said that filler was rendering it impossible to check on sill damage repair.
Also, when I phoned,l was told it was part of the garage owner's collection.
They also told me £7k had been turned down!
Thank you for that reminder Andrew - I'd forgotten what the problem was underneath the motor car. I suppose if it is advertised for long enough on both eBay and C&C values may eventually catch up with the sticker price, but it has been on sale for over a year already and that may take several more years.

All 4 of the C&C cars are variously described as being mint (or similar words), but all have issues of some sort. I still think the price guide is right and £4,500 is a top price for cars like these (very good cars but not historic taxation class).

Alan
Old Oct 14th, 2021, 18:28   #1132
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I'm wondering whether we are seeing the same pattern of shill bidding as in the first auction. In that one the bid price leapt up to over £5,000 in the first 2 days, but then it stalled and went no further. The bidding ws pushed along by a bidder with a low eBay score. The same would seem to be happening now - bidding is over £3,000 on only the second day - and again the bidding being pushed by someone with a low eBay score.

Groundhog day?

Alan
No longer available! I wonder if it's Kerching! Or will it rise again?

Stay tuned!
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2021, 08:29   #1133
Othen
Premier Member

Here is another old bus from near the bottom of the barrel:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154650765...53.m1438.l2649

... has been off the road since 2018, looks like it has been stored under a haystack, no MoT, lots of stuff wrong with it at the 2017 MoT that will not have fixed itself, rusty wheel arches, split seat... I suppose it will be worth something to someone, £750 anyone?

:-)
Old Oct 15th, 2021, 09:00   #1134
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Looking at the pictures, i think it's still in the barrel! They all seem kind of fuzzy and dim to me.

No idea whether it's a 2.0 or 2.3 litre engine, ebay autocorrects any decimal points in the engine cc question to the nearest whole number so should be either 1986cc or 2316cc, not just 2 - people confuse cc and litres too much!

I wonder how many of those bids are genuine? Not sure i'd want to take a chance on that vague description or feeble excuse. First are they living in a tent now, second, it's a bad time of the year to start building a house and third, they must have known for some considerable time they would be building a house, why take on a project car if they knew they'd have no time?

Petty observations you may think but building your own house isn't an overnight decision, it's the sort of thing that takes planning (and planning permission too!) so doesn't really ring true. Makes you wonder how much of the rest of the listing is true.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2021, 09:20   #1135
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Here is another old bus from near the bottom of the barrel:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154650765...53.m1438.l2649

... has been off the road since 2018, looks like it has been stored under a haystack, no MoT, lots of stuff wrong with it at the 2017 MoT that will not have fixed itself, rusty wheel arches, split seat... I suppose it will be worth something to someone, £750 anyone?

He's selling it to fund a better camera!
Old Oct 15th, 2021, 09:24   #1136
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Looking at the pictures, i think it's still in the barrel! They all seem kind of fuzzy and dim to me.

No idea whether it's a 2.0 or 2.3 litre engine, ebay autocorrects any decimal points in the engine cc question to the nearest whole number so should be either 1986cc or 2316cc, not just 2 - people confuse cc and litres too much!

I wonder how many of those bids are genuine? Not sure i'd want to take a chance on that vague description or feeble excuse. First are they living in a tent now, second, it's a bad time of the year to start building a house and third, they must have known for some considerable time they would be building a house, why take on a project car if they knew they'd have no time?

Petty observations you may think but building your own house isn't an overnight decision, it's the sort of thing that takes planning (and planning permission too!) so doesn't really ring true. Makes you wonder how much of the rest of the listing is true.

A £5/600 pound 240 estate is worth having around if you're building a house , I would have thought!
Old Oct 15th, 2021, 09:32   #1137
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
A £5/600 pound 240 estate is worth having around if you're building a house , I would have thought!
I suspect therein lies the issue you and Dave have uncovered: a £500 Volvo estate would be really useful during a house build, but it would have to be roadworthy. This one last passed the MoT test in 2017. My guess is the chap/lady has realised it isn't going to pass the test without considerably more than 'a bit of time and love'.

One to steer clear of I think chaps.

Alan
Old Oct 15th, 2021, 09:35   #1138
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
I suspect therein lies the issue you and Dave have uncovered: a £500 Volvo estate would be really useful during a house build, but it would have to be roadworthy. This one last passed the MoT test in 2017. My guess is the chap/lady has realised it isn't going to pass the test without considerably more than 'a bit of time and love'.

One to steer clear of I think chaps.

Alan
Aye lad, a bit of a bucket I suspect!
Old Oct 15th, 2021, 15:11   #1139
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan 244 View Post
So here is my take on the awful glt! As said it has scorpious alloys from a torslanda, not Virgo from a glt
So interiors, plush upholstery was an option instead of the usually standard leather, I have only ever seen that in blue though, so beige is slightly strange. The car has a leather gearstick gater, so that is from a glt for definite. All others were black rubber. I don’t think the boot has grey trim, as far as I know any sort of grey interior in a 240 was only in my1984. I think it’s faded badly beige. In terms of if this glt had leather it would only have been black or beige, only two options, no grey leather in any 240.
The roof bars are an awful add on, and would have come from an early estate as around 88 on would be black, and glt didn’t have them anyway.
The side body trims are mixed black and chrome, so also changed as originals would have been black. Same with boot hinges and the little corner trims at the rear corners of the roof. So yes it’s been really messed with!
As someone else said, I wouldn’t be surprised if it got to the breaking state, some of the more sort after black trims and leather went, and a gl has been found to provide the missing bits to get it going again.
It now says provisionally sold, torslanda to come! Be interesting to see if that has virgo wheels lol!

It's back on the market chaps. Let's see this time!
Old Oct 15th, 2021, 16:09   #1140
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Isn't this just what you are looking for:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194384085....c101110.m1982

... 1987 (so only 7 years to becoming an historic vehicle if that interests you), GLT, 126,000 miles, has been recommissioned (quite well according to the write up), a couple of small jobs to do (you will need something to do on a 30-odd year old motor car), well under 5 grand. It looks really nice... I can't see much not to like.

Alan
Quote:
I remember you saying there was something you didn't quite like about this motor car, and your instincts were dead right. Well done, and well done to Alf as well for spotting the anomaly about the interior.

Good fortune.

PS. I'm happy to concede I was a bit wrong about this car - it is hiding a few secrets that I didn't spot.
... people might remember discussing this one some few days ago, and concluding it was a mish-mash of bits and not very original GTL at all. Well, in the meantime the eBay ad was marked as sold, but strangely it was not taken down - I had a feeling we had not seen the last of it.

Now the seller claims the motor car was sold to his brother, who now suddenly cannot afford it (sounds like there is little brotherly love there - of perhaps it was just a **** and bull story all along).

I'm not sure about the seller's motive, but this episode would just come across as daft to a prospective buyer. It sounds like the seller is trying to drum up a bit of interest. Ho hum... not such a good motor car.

Alan