Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 821047

Replies : 6255

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 6th, 2021, 06:26   #1451
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
jasons. Please do not refrain.

The forum surely is a place such as you say. When our friend Othen was most recently outrageous to what I said, I merely noted toys out of pram. Show your arse in your words is perhaps more accurate.

Re prices, for private sales in particular, I am not convinced by Othen's "guide". And value is another matter again. The data needs to be set out fully and clearly, and how many forum members have the timr &c. to truly peer review the data. Including checking if prices included are truly actual sales.

I suspect Othen's suggested prices might be a tad high ... distorted by too clever by half sellers. I wonder how many sales in Othen's guide are completed at those prices. And he still shows a touching faith in historic status, expressed by him far worse than condescendingly. Pot and kettle come to mind Othen.

Let there be peace ...

Stephen

What a rude chap you are.

Ho hum.
Old Dec 6th, 2021, 07:25   #1452
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by don kalmar union View Post
Recently a 242 turbo in good order was sold in the USA for around $26,000 from memory.

The 242 LHD UK car recently on ebay did not reach its reserve but I understand went for £4,300 plus, negotiated after the auction closed....

Don.
Thank you for that information about the LHD 242, that helps complete the picture.

Alan
Old Dec 6th, 2021, 07:36   #1453
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
I think the difference in opinion here APPEARS to be the chasm between the price people are willing to pay when an item is offered openly for sale and what customers can be talked into paying by a silver-tongued salesman in a showroom.
The forecourt price of a car that came from the block will and has to be higher than the money payed by the vendor!
I have often bought high mileage fleet cars cheaply, prepared to accept an element of risk.
Many of my friends want a copper-bottomed purchase and are happy pay the premium.

Value and price are dependent on who is buying and who is selling.

I could , of course ,be wrong!
Well, you are right of course Andrew, but on the whole we can't discover the actual prices paid to silver-tongued second-hand car dealers, which is why I (and most other contributors) gather evidence mostly from public auctions such as eBay and C&C. It is a little difficult for me to see how one would garner information about actual sold prices from elsewhere - if we discount second-hand car dealers' anecdotes overheard in the pub. If correspondents know of a more reliable source of data than public auctions then I rather suspect their contributions would be welcomed.

I (and others, including yourself) do refer to second-hand car dealers' and private sellers' asking prices quite frequently in this thread - quite often we take them with a pinch of salt, which is how the 'Seriously?' title was born.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Dec 6th, 2021 at 07:41. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2021, 08:58   #1454
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Well, you are right of course Andrew, but on the whole we can't discover the actual prices paid to silver-tongued second-hand car dealers, which is why I (and most other contributors) gather evidence mostly from public auctions such as eBay and C&C. It is a little difficult for me to see how one would garner information about actual sold prices from elsewhere - if we discount second-hand car dealers' anecdotes overheard in the pub. If correspondents know of a more reliable source of data than public auctions then I rather suspect their contributions would be welcomed.

I (and others, including yourself) do refer to second-hand car dealers' and private sellers' asking prices quite frequently in this thread - quite often we take them with a pinch of salt, which is how the 'Seriously?' title was born.

Alan
The compilation of a guide , based on known buying prices can be a handy thing. If it were described as anything more than a GUIDE , then that would be different.
There will always be unknowns, bound to be.
Auction prices throw up the anomalies of perceived values. If one could enter the same item every week in an auction the prices paid would vary enormously. Very fickle things, auctions.
At an auction, we all know, one buyer wanting gets a bargain, two buyers wanting, one can pay through the nose. The compilation of these gives an average. The more numbers that go in , arguably the better the guide becomes but that is all.

Presented evidence is always open to interpretation.
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2021, 09:02   #1455
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
The compilation of a guide , based on known buying prices can be a handy thing. If it were described as anything more than a GUIDE , then that would be different.
There will always be unknowns, bound to be.
Auction prices throw up the anomalies of perceived values. If one could enter the same item every week in an auction the prices paid would vary enormously. Very fickle things, auctions.
At an auction, we all know, one buyer wanting gets a bargain, two buyers wanting, one can pay through the nose. The compilation of these gives an average. The more numbers that go in , arguably the better the guide becomes but that is all.

Presented evidence is always open to interpretation.
… but can you think of a better source of information on sold prices than public auctions Andrew?
Old Dec 6th, 2021, 09:06   #1456
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
… but can you think of a better source of information on sold prices than public auctions Andrew?
No Alan. It's all that is available and is transparent to all observers!

Andrew.
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 7th, 2021, 02:09   #1457
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

I'll encourage everyone to play nicely, please.

Perhaps you could add "Collecting Cars" to your research material (and the podcast is well worth a listen)...although 240s might be a little thin on the ground!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 7th, 2021, 12:32   #1458
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Very nice but they're all in the USA where they have a higher pereception of secondhand value. This particularly applies to cars and they are more accpeting of paying for the work that has gone into the cars to bring them to that standard, even if it has been a labour of love.
If i was in the market for a 142, i'd wait for a genuine UK model or at the very least, a RHD import from South Africa, Cyprus, Japan, Australia, NZ etc.

Living where i live, a secondhand sales site is seemingly useful to me. Primarily designed for USAF to trade items around the world but with many UK members on the UK sites, the prices are often listed in US$ but they will accept GB £ most of the time.
However, many of the things are sold at a price higher than we can buy the correct UK spec items for new. This apparently is still a good used price for the USA people.

http://lakenheath.bookoo.com/

If anyone is interested, feel free to have a look, especially at the cars for price differences! Some are pretty amazing!
It was the old IPD 142 so had providence.

I’ve spent a load restoring my 142, no chance of getting back what I’ve spent on it and am still spending. But no plans to sell her and it’s nice to have something a bit different here in the U.K. with RHD 142s like hens teeth.

10years ago Amazons were cheap now a very good one will fetch £20k plus. 240s will start to fetch more here as well as the guys who liked them in their youth get older and have more disposable income. Good time to buy good examples I would think. It’s one of those things, it’s good that a classic is affordable but then you want them to have enough value that folks will spend to keep them going.

Rust buckets should be cheap as they cost a lot to restore.
Old Dec 7th, 2021, 13:29   #1459
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdekin View Post
It was the old IPD 142 so had providence.

I’ve spent a load restoring my 142, no chance of getting back what I’ve spent on it and am still spending. But no plans to sell her and it’s nice to have something a bit different here in the U.K. with RHD 142s like hens teeth.

10years ago Amazons were cheap now a very good one will fetch £20k plus. 240s will start to fetch more here as well as the guys who liked them in their youth get older and have more disposable income. Good time to buy good examples I would think. It’s one of those things, it’s good that a classic is affordable but then you want them to have enough value that folks will spend to keep them going.

Rust buckets should be cheap as they cost a lot to restore.
I wasn't denouncing the provenance, simply pointing out that prices in the USA are vastly different to here and the main reasons for that. As you point out, you've spent several large buckets of cash on your 142 that you won't get back. If you'd done the same stateside you would have got it back, or at least most of it as buyers are more willing to pay for the work that's been put in to something.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 02:14   #1460
cross-Member

Looking at this thing, got almost nothing going for it and they want hear £10k

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203738982...gAAOSwiU9hrKjd
cross-Member is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cross-Member For This Useful Post: