Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'99 MY update

Views : 508

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 3rd, 2022, 18:39   #1
Alpine

Default '99 MY update

I know there was a P80 update for the 1999 model year. As far as I know, the changes were as follows:

- black Volvo grill badge turned blue
- throttle cable became electronic
- coils on spark plugs
- spin on metal oil filter was changed to paper filter + plastic housing

But what other, probably more important ones, were there? And were they an improvement, or not on reflection?

And was this to align the P80 with the new S80 that had been introduced in 1998 (to standardise manufacturing)?

I think it was in 1999 that Ford bought into Volvo, so this update would have been pre that (ie. pre-Ford's cost-cutting)

Just interested in the history of it all. My car was registered in August 1998 but has the '99 MY updates

Last edited by Alpine; Jan 3rd, 2022 at 18:45.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2022, 21:44   #2
sdg1970
Master Member

The vac & pcv system became a lot less involved too. I have a 97 car now, but prior I had a July 1999 V70 2.4T and there was much less vac and pcv stuff under bonnet.
sdg1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sdg1970 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2022, 21:57   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
I know there was a P80 update for the 1999 model year. As far as I know, the changes were as follows:

- black Volvo grill badge turned blue
- throttle cable became electronic
- coils on spark plugs
- spin on metal oil filter was changed to paper filter + plastic housing

But what other, probably more important ones, were there? And were they an improvement, or not on reflection?

And was this to align the P80 with the new S80 that had been introduced in 1998 (to standardise manufacturing)?

I think it was in 1999 that Ford bought into Volvo, so this update would have been pre that (ie. pre-Ford's cost-cutting)

Just interested in the history of it all. My car was registered in August 1998 but has the '99 MY updates
the blue was for ford , the modifications were for the 1999 model year which came out half way through 1998.
Old Jan 4th, 2022, 05:57   #4
280E

I think the driveshafts changed from 'nut on the end' to 'bolt on the end' around this time.
280E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2022, 08:13   #5
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

I believe there were quite a few changes that happened when the engine became an 'ME7' - not just the obvious ones like the ECU, COP and variable valve timing, but also the sump, coolant pipe along the rear of the engine, coolant pipes to the turbo etc
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2022, 09:35   #6
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Mine is a 98 reg 99MY but it seems from the previous posts I've got a mongrel, cable throttle and spin on filter but bolt in the end driveshafts, I've noticed in the past with both the V70 and my previous 940 that Volvo seem to have an evolutionary approach to design changes in cars with some getting a bit of the old and a bit of the new. Some times even Volvo don't seem to know what they put into my car as even with the chassis number they can end up supplying the wrong parts.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2022, 10:39   #7
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
Mine is a 98 reg 99MY but it seems from the previous posts I've got a mongrel, cable throttle and spin on filter but bolt in the end driveshafts, I've noticed in the past with both the V70 and my previous 940 that Volvo seem to have an evolutionary approach to design changes in cars with some getting a bit of the old and a bit of the new. Some times even Volvo don't seem to know what they put into my car as even with the chassis number they can end up supplying the wrong parts.
I've noticed this too, David. My car is a very late phase one, registered in February 2000 on the 'V'.

I think that the practice is (was) deliberate policy on the part of Volvo, as I've experienced it on 2, 7 and 9 series cars as well.

There seldom appears to be a definitive cut-off; rather, it would seem that Volvo saw fit to simply use up 'old' parts track-side until exhausted, and then simply switch to fitting the 'new' ones.

That may make sense to the manufacturer, but, as you rightly say, it can be a 'head-ache' to subsequent owners of 20 year old examples such as ours. Maybe Volvo are victims of their own success in making such long-lasting vehicles?

Incidentally, Volvo were not alone in doing this! I have worked for a number of manufacturers over the years and most employ a policy of 'continuous improvement'.

For example, should a particular component exhibit an unacceptably low MTBF in service, it may be redesigned or modified to increase reliability / service life. When the replacement part is available, it will almost certainly be put into production without waiting for a specific 'change-over' date, thus avoiding any additional customer dissatisfaction.

Notification of this change will initially be given to the dealers, but may become lost in the mists of time - again potentially causing a problem for the likes of you and I. Just another of the joys (challenges) of running an older car, I'm afraid!

Regards, John.
Old Jan 4th, 2022, 11:28   #8
ITSv40
VOC Member

This scenario also happened on the S/V40 production in 1999/2000.. The early cars are now known as Phase 1 , cars manufactured during 2000 are mongrels and now known as Phase1.5 and 2001 onwards are true phase 2 It appears it took a full 12 months to introduce the Phase 2 while they were using up the old parts.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post: