Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1963 Volvo 122

Views : 640949

Replies : 1361

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 14th, 2022, 11:59   #91
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Jumping back up the thread a bit, i found this Alan while generally trawling YouTube.

While not immediately apparent as to why i think it's relevant, it does deal with the multiple-compound curves that may be found on a windscreen surround - not necessarily in an orthodox way but in a way that works.
Quite an interesting video in general and while i know you can weld, it might yield an extra clue or hint you can adapt/improvise when you do GAMs windscreen surround.

https://youtu.be/EhGXSM3MZEQ

It's quite long but has a lot of useful info in it that can also be transferred to other repairs, he's got quite a strange accent as well, a curious mix of Irish and American so some bits need rewinding and viewing again to understand what he says. Enjoy!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 12:08   #92
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
An interesting question, Alan. After considerable reflection, the short answer is probably not, but only because the car is a manual. I was in my 40s when I owned PGE; now, well into my 8th decade and having only driven autos for over 20 years, I would not want to return to stirring my own cogs! That is in no way intended as a criticism of the 4 + O/D 'box, which was a very sweet unit that suited the car well, more a reflection of the advances of tempus fugit - mine, not the car's!

When I bought PGE, it was in near show condition, having won awards in the past. For three years it became my daily driver and essential business tool, so was kept in good - but by no means show - condition. It took us to Norway, Sweden and Denmark, often four up, regularly did three-figure daily commutes and, for a period, a weekly one to Kent.

While the car did not have an easy life in my ownership, it was running well and in good general condition when I sold it back in '98. I understood that the new owner intended to use it as his daily driver, which is why I am a little surprised that there is no record of it after only a year. All that I can think of is that it either suffered a catastrophic failure (unlikely) and was taken off the road, or involved in a major accident, with the same result. One can only speculate.

Now, if ever you were to consider parting with the R.B. ...

Having never owned an Amazon myself, I'm already captivated by Great Aunt Maud, and look forward to reading of her adventures in your hands in these pages. I did once come close. Back in '83 or '84 I answered an ad for a one owner, 1968 (F) 123 GT up at £300. The chap was buying a then-new Mercedes 190E and for some reason didn't want to do a P/Ex. Fool that I was (isn't hindsight wonderful?) I rejected the car on rusty rear wheel arches!

Best wishes to you and GAM.

Regards, John.
Reading through your post John, i detect a hankering for the spiritual successor to "Peggy". With that in mind, you may be better finding your own 240GLT auto with the later 4-speed auto box (4th is an overdrive ratio), i think 1984 on had that box. Perhaps something to think about?

As for passing over certain cars on something that in the great scheme of things is relatively minor (but at the time was significant), i think we've all done that. The last Datsun i owned, had i completed the restoration instead of letting my ex-wife talk me into selling it, would now be worth ~£19k according to the latest Practical Classics price guide. Just one example of passing over a car that later became valuable for me, there are many others and it's frightening how much they are worth now!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 12:16   #93
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Jumping back up the thread a bit, i found this Alan while generally trawling YouTube.

While not immediately apparent as to why i think it's relevant, it does deal with the multiple-compound curves that may be found on a windscreen surround - not necessarily in an orthodox way but in a way that works.
Quite an interesting video in general and while i know you can weld, it might yield an extra clue or hint you can adapt/improvise when you do GAMs windscreen surround.

https://youtu.be/EhGXSM3MZEQ

It's quite long but has a lot of useful info in it that can also be transferred to other repairs, he's got quite a strange accent as well, a curious mix of Irish and American so some bits need rewinding and viewing again to understand what he says. Enjoy!
Pretty sure Fitzy is from Newfoundland. I like his style and watched all his videos.
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 12:27   #94
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Alan:~
Regarding Sikaflex- the glossy surface can be reduced by rubbing away the top layer gently, try with a finger initially.
It may assist with blending in old and new.

The product is very versatile If aware of the various drying stages, it can be worked like putty (wet with white spirit/ panel degreaser) a grain effect can also be achieved but you will need a little practice to gauge.

Black colour restorers available for the likes of bumpers will also take to Sikaflex once the surface gloss is reduced.

Hope it helps
Regards Bob.

Last edited by Bob Meadows; Jan 14th, 2022 at 12:32.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 12:47   #95
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdekin View Post
Pretty sure Fitzy is from Newfoundland. I like his style and watched all his videos.
You may well be right but the Irish part of his accent could be why i thought he was Irish/American rather than Irish/Canadian, wouldn't be the first time i've known Irish to be confused with Canadian in terms of accents.

Old Jan 15th, 2022, 07:27   #96
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
An interesting question, Alan. After considerable reflection, the short answer is probably not, but only because the car is a manual. I was in my 40s when I owned PGE; now, well into my 8th decade and having only driven autos for over 20 years, I would not want to return to stirring my own cogs! That is in no way intended as a criticism of the 4 + O/D 'box, which was a very sweet unit that suited the car well, more a reflection of the advances of tempus fugit - mine, not the car's!

When I bought PGE, it was in near show condition, having won awards in the past. For three years it became my daily driver and essential business tool, so was kept in good - but by no means show - condition. It took us to Norway, Sweden and Denmark, often four up, regularly did three-figure daily commutes and, for a period, a weekly one to Kent.

While the car did not have an easy life in my ownership, it was running well and in good general condition when I sold it back in '98. I understood that the new owner intended to use it as his daily driver, which is why I am a little surprised that there is no record of it after only a year. All that I can think of is that it either suffered a catastrophic failure (unlikely) and was taken off the road, or involved in a major accident, with the same result. One can only speculate.

Now, if ever you were to consider parting with the R.B. ...

Having never owned an Amazon myself, I'm already captivated by Great Aunt Maud, and look forward to reading of her adventures in your hands in these pages. I did once come close. Back in '83 or '84 I answered an ad for a one owner, 1968 (F) 123 GT up at £300. The chap was buying a then-new Mercedes 190E and for some reason didn't want to do a P/Ex. Fool that I was (isn't hindsight wonderful?) I rejected the car on rusty rear wheel arches!

Best wishes to you and GAM.

Regards, John.
Good morn John,

As you will know, I've decided the GAM project will be for 18 months (until Dan finishes his A levels). At the moment keeping GAM and the RB is not an issue - particularly as the RB's running costs are so low. Towards the end of the GAM project (summer 2023) I may well face a choice as to which motor car I keep: GAM or the RB (if I move to a house with less parking space).

As far as a long term project goes, GAM would be the better car to keep - the RB is fantastic of course: almost free to run, interesting and reliable - but GAM is a different beast. If things turn out the way I expect them to then I'm thinking I'll probably keep GAM as my tinkering project in my dotage, and reluctantly find a nice new home for the RB.

That was a long winded way of saying I'll let you know about the RB next year :-).

Best wishes,

Alan

An addendum: thinking about the RB, this was the project aim I wrote down 2 years ago (it was on pp3 of the very long RB thread in the 200 section):

That sort of brings me on to my aim with this car: I'm not intending for it to be a restoration project, lots has happened to it over the years, which is part of its charm. Where sensible and not expensive I'll put it back to standard (things like the mudflaps), but otherwise I want it to be a nice driver that I manage the obsolescence of in parallel with my own aging process. I think that makes most sense.

I'd say that the aim of project RB has been achieved, the last outstanding job I have is adapting and fitting the NSR wheel arch liner (one for a warm summer's day), other than that I think it is just about perfect (for me) and I'm not planning any more changes. The AW71 gearbox has been sitting in the motorcycle shed for 9 months, and I've decided that fitting it to the RB would actually detract from its charm. The BW55 transmission operates perfectly since I serviced it and is part of the car's character. I'll leave it as it is and sell the AW71 'box to make room for GAM's spares :-).

Last edited by Othen; Jan 15th, 2022 at 09:14. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2022, 11:17   #97
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

From the ad it looks like you got a very good deal for your Amazon. They've got some value now which makes them worth spending a wee bit on if needed. Very good Amazons are fetching high teens and good GTs up to £25k.
Old Jan 15th, 2022, 11:41   #98
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

The remark was made a little 'tongue in cheek' Alan, but it is an interesting thought non-the-less!

While I would be very happy to cash-in a non-performing ISA in order to give a home to a well-sorted car like yours, it would hardly be a good one in the accepted sense.

The car would certainly be well cared for, yes, but there would be no heated, car-pet-ed garage waiting. I'm afraid that it would need to live outside year round as do our other cars. Of which we currently have three, so we, too, would also need to consolidate if ever this should become a serious possibility.

In that event, I might start looking into renting a garage locally. Mmm ...

Regards, John.
Old Jan 15th, 2022, 13:32   #99
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:

The car would certainly be well cared for, yes, but there would be no heated, car-pet-ed garage waiting.

Regards, John.
I like what you did there John!

Old Jan 15th, 2022, 13:51   #100
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Let me know if you ever let the 240 go. I have a nice garage to keep it in, I'm local, and have cash waiting.