Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 913097

Replies : 6542

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 19th, 2022, 16:35   #1551
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I think you're right Alan, seem to recall seeing it up for £5995 or maybe it was £5495, certainly a big uplift when he did nothing to it.

Something about the current bidding (£3600) suggests shill bidding or perhaps i'm just over-cynical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulk View Post
Looks like he has it at £6950 - bargain?

https://www.genuinecars.co.uk/cars/v.../242dl/596574/
You may be right about some shill bidding Dave, I'm always dubious about bidders with almost no history competing on big ticket items.

I think the dealer must have had the motor car for sale since before Xmas, he probably thought he was going to flip it quickly and double his money without doing anything. I must confess to a little schadenfreude, profiteering just increases prices and is of no benefit to us here.

At 7 grand this car would be very expensive indeed for what it is.

Alan
Old Mar 19th, 2022, 21:10   #1552
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
... I'm always dubious about bidders with almost no history competing on big ticket items ...

I think I qualify as having 'almost no history' but I bought an 8 grand car off ebay a couple of months ago.

Some of us are genuine, honest.

-------------------------
A great all-rounder
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wagon Sailor For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2022, 22:31   #1553
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I think you're right Alan, seem to recall seeing it up for £5995 or maybe it was £5495, certainly a big uplift when he did nothing to it.

Something about the current bidding (£3600) suggests shill bidding or perhaps i'm just over-cynical.
Quote:
You may be right about some shill bidding Dave, I'm always dubious about bidders with almost no history competing on big ticket items.

I think the dealer must have had the motor car for sale since before Xmas, he probably thought he was going to flip it quickly and double his money without doing anything. I must confess to a little schadenfreude, profiteering just increases prices and is of no benefit to us here.

At 7 grand this car would be very expensive indeed for what it is.

Alan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon Sailor View Post
I think I qualify as having 'almost no history' but I bought an 8 grand car off ebay a couple of months ago.

Some of us are genuine, honest.
I’m not doubting your personal character Wagon Sailor, but in this case I think Dave is right and there is something dodgy going on. I just checked the bidding on the 242 and it is down from £3,600 (as reported by Dave) to £1,220. It is telling that all the bids by the punter with an eBay score of one have disappeared. Now, perhaps there is a perfectly legitimate explanation… or otherwise maybe the seller got caught out shill bidding. I don't know.

Alan
Old Mar 20th, 2022, 00:42   #1554
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

"Solid throughout but does require paint..."

If you know 240s, the pictures suggest otherwise. I'm not suggesting it has major structural issues, but it needs some welding on cosmetic panels, at the very least.

Probably reasonable value at what he paid for it.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 20th, 2022, 06:43   #1555
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
"Solid throughout but does require paint..."

If you know 240s, the pictures suggest otherwise. I'm not suggesting it has major structural issues, but it needs some welding on cosmetic panels, at the very least.

Probably reasonable value at what he paid for it.

cheers

James
As we have discussed previously (before Xmas) this one is hard to value. On the plus side it is an historic vehicle, which adds 50-100% to the value - and it is a very early motor car. The negatives are that it is LHD, it doesn't have its original motor and it is pretty scruffy inside and out. The fact it is a 242 is difficult to assess: that makes it rare here in the UK (but not rare at all elsewhere, the 242 was just a cheap version of the 244 in other markets) and so something of a curiosity - but I don't know whether that adds or detracts from its value.

The dealer is obviously having trouble selling it: 4 months on and he/she is still hawking it around on public auction sites. His/her problem is the market for this motor car will be tiny: he is trying to sell a down-market, non-original, LHD motor car in slightly poor condition at a large premium because it wasn't sold in the UK and so has a curiosity value. There probably aren't more than 10 punters willing to pay a curiosity premium for an otherwise cooking motor car in the UK.

It will be interesting to see what it makes at public auction (shill bidding aside). My guess is that it will not make its reserve and it will go through the strainer a few more times.

:-)

Last edited by Othen; Mar 20th, 2022 at 06:44. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 20th, 2022, 12:32   #1556
don kalmar union
Trader

Default 242....

This is substantially overpriced and has little going for it as has previously been stated. £1500, maybe a bit more for a sensible and informed buyer with a project in mind and min. £4000 to spend on putting it right properly....

There are good, clean later RHD 242s in OZ and elsewhere... and they will cost a lot less to get into passable useable condition even taking into account the cost of shipping.

Don.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to don kalmar union For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2022, 06:58   #1557
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by don kalmar union View Post
This is substantially overpriced and has little going for it as has previously been stated. £1500, maybe a bit more for a sensible and informed buyer with a project in mind and min. £4000 to spend on putting it right properly....

There are good, clean later RHD 242s in OZ and elsewhere... and they will cost a lot less to get into passable useable condition even taking into account the cost of shipping.

Don.
I would tend to agree it is overpriced, although I suspect it it worth a bit more than £1,500 with the historic vehicle premium.

I notice bidding has suddenly jumped up to £3,500 again with almost exactly the same pattern of bidding (if I remember correctly) as before the bidder with the very low eBay score was removed. I do rather suspect there is some shill bidding going on here - the seller giving the impression there is interest at close to his/her reserve. I'm curious so I'll keep an eye on this one.

:-) Alan

Last edited by Othen; Mar 21st, 2022 at 07:00. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2022, 08:01   #1558
Moomoo
VOC Member

Did a double take on eBay Alan, thought the RB was advertised!

Last edited by Moomoo; Mar 21st, 2022 at 08:11.
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2022, 08:30   #1559
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Did a double take on eBay Alan, thought the RB was advertised!
What!!!!!
Old Mar 21st, 2022, 08:34   #1560
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
What!!!!!
I only THOUGHT , mate!

It looks a bit like it!
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post: