Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Can you send a sat-nav location to the car from your phone?

Views : 824

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 2nd, 2022, 12:24   #1
Yelper85

Default Can you send a sat-nav location to the car from your phone?

Hi all,

I think I already know the answer, but thought it worth asking to concrete it in place.

If I use say Google maps or Apple maps on my iPhone (or any other 3rd party maps for that matter), can I send this location to my in-built navigation or must I use either voice command/type-in manually method?

I know cars with On-Call can do this (at least the later versions so maybe needs the upgraded sensus/infotainment?) and of course the new Android setups natively allow this, but I'm sick of having to type in a location via a clunky interface and just want to be able to set it via my phone.

Maybe the answer is simple, upgrade the car . . .

20 plate XC60 Inscription Pro T8 PHEV + Polestar
Yelper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2022, 17:39   #2
nozmeister

You used to be able to do this on cars with the apps/browser functionality by using Here maps and the send to car function.

it was a bit clunky and never as good as through Google maps (eg on a phone you would get the mobile version of Here and this couldn't send to a car, only if you used a desktop PC or changed the browser settings, would it work)

Sadly even this basic function disappeared after updates on my XC60 some time ago.

Before that I think there was an unauthorised piece of software that could do what you asked but it was withdrawn and I had never tried it.

Volvo XC60 SE LUX NAV D4 VEA GT MY16 - Osmium Grey, Family Pack, Winter Pack, Front Parking Sensors & Tempa Spare Wheel

Gone but not forgotten: 2006-2015 Volvo V50 2.0D SE MY06 - 46.7 MPG
nozmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nozmeister For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2022, 18:04   #3
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozmeister View Post
You used to be able to do this on cars with the apps/browser functionality by using Here maps and the send to car function.

it was a bit clunky and never as good as through Google maps (eg on a phone you would get the mobile version of Here and this couldn't send to a car, only if you used a desktop PC or changed the browser settings, would it work)

Sadly even this basic function disappeared after updates on my XC60 some time ago.

Before that I think there was an unauthorised piece of software that could do what you asked but it was withdrawn and I had never tried it.
That's a real shame. For reference, did you have On-Call installed for this to work (even if it was clunky) or would it still send it to the infotainment headset regardless?

Old May 3rd, 2022, 18:15   #4
nozmeister

No, I didn’t have on call.

You would register the Volvo ID on the Here website and then when you send the destination to the car it would appear in the Send to Car app in the car (once you had tethered your phone).

It did used to be useful but a bit slow in practice.

Volvo XC60 SE LUX NAV D4 VEA GT MY16 - Osmium Grey, Family Pack, Winter Pack, Front Parking Sensors & Tempa Spare Wheel

The Following User Says Thank You to nozmeister For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2022, 13:10   #5
kdst5

I used to use it also, yes it was a bit slow but useful none the less. Disappointed when stopped doing it.
kdst5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kdst5 For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2022, 13:58   #6
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdst5 View Post
I used to use it also, yes it was a bit slow but useful none the less. Disappointed when stopped doing it.
Seems odd to revoke a working method like that, unless it introduced some kind of security vulnerability?

Are we sure there's no other app that can be downloaded/used or is the simple answer get used to pressing the keypad in frustration?!

Old May 4th, 2022, 14:39   #7
BlueDevil

They killed it for some odd GDPR reason or something like that, IIRC. Something stupid all in all.

Anyhow, there is a method but it's so complicated that it's useless except for someone planning a long route with lots of stops. Like travelling the country and visiting sites and stuff. It involves creating a route via any maps software (Google maps, for example) with all the waypoints etc, then saving it in a file, then with some other software converting it to another format. Then there was another step which I can't remember from the top of my head, then saving that again, then copying it to a USB stick, inserting it in your car and finally doing an import from it to Sensus Connect.

It does work, don't get me wrong, but it's a bloody mess for everyday use.

I think there's a write-up on this very site somewhere, a search should be able to find it...
Old May 4th, 2022, 17:33   #8
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Is this linked to why the browser function doesn't work? I cannot get it to connect to the internet via my phone like it says you can in the manual.
RDesign4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2022, 18:12   #9
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDesign4Life View Post
Is this linked to why the browser function doesn't work? I cannot get it to connect to the internet via my phone like it says you can in the manual.
I'm sure I had mine working from my phone, but it was extremely slow. That said, now you've got me wondering if it ever worked at all

Old May 4th, 2022, 18:15   #10
nozmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDesign4Life View Post
Yes thats something else that no longer works. Even the Tune In app only has a handful of channels on it these days.