Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Plastic Belly Pan Correct Fitment??

Views : 291

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 29th, 2022, 19:27   #1
Steve 940
Premier Member

Default Plastic Belly Pan Correct Fitment??

Hi

Whilst doing oil change today on removing the plastic belly pan, I just want some guidance on correct fitment when putting it back.

I noticed it was floating on the front edge, has three prongs/hooks on leading edge, but these had been just resting on bottom lip at the rear of the radiators. Over time, and under usual driving it had obviously been slightly rubbing on the back of the rad fins, as three distinct patches of fins slightly pushed in.

With it out of the way, I see there are three slots in a thin metal strip under the rad that the plastic prongs/hooks look to be for, a bit tight getting it hooked in as a pipe is very close, but it did hook in. However on lifting the pan to fit screws, the whole pan is around an inch an a half too far back, the rear of pan won't clear the inner suspension arm fixings??

Pan has a couple of cracks in it, one on offside front screw fixing area, and other virtually in middle of the pan, but I wouldn't have thought it has gone out of shape by 1"+ Will in future perhaps clean, and glue some supporting stiffener strips.

Appreciate any suggestions, my gut feeling is that the front should be hooked into the slots, and am thinking perhaps my pan is for a different model???

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2022, 19:31   #2
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Hi

Whilst doing oil change today on removing the plastic belly pan, I just want some guidance on correct fitment when putting it back.

I noticed it was floating on the front edge, has three prongs/hooks on leading edge, but these had been just resting on bottom lip at the rear of the radiators. Over time, and under usual driving it had obviously been slightly rubbing on the back of the rad fins, as three distinct patches of fins slightly pushed in.

With it out of the way, I see there are three slots in a thin metal strip under the rad that the plastic prongs/hooks look to be for, a bit tight getting it hooked in as a pipe is very close, but it did hook in. However on lifting the pan to fit screws, the whole pan is around an inch an a half too far back, the rear of pan won't clear the inner suspension arm fixings??

Pan has a couple of cracks in it, one on offside front screw fixing area, and other virtually in middle of the pan, but I wouldn't have thought it has gone out of shape by 1"+ Will in future perhaps clean, and glue some supporting stiffener strips.

Appreciate any suggestions, my gut feeling is that the front should be hooked into the slots, and am thinking perhaps my pan is for a different model???

Cheers
Steve
Hooks in the slots and just bolts up. Nothing fouling it is there ?
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old May 29th, 2022, 20:33   #3
Forrest
VOC Member

On a 940 you shouldn’t need to remove the undertray to do an oil & filter change. You do on a 960 but then afterwards the oil filter is much easier to access.

As already stated, the three prongs do hook into the slots in that metal part and on some models there is a pipe a bit in the way - a/c or power steering I think.

Sometimes professional mechanics don’t realise and home mechanics can’t get enough ground clearance to fit the undertray properly.

The usual causes of it not fitting properly are front-end accident damage, rust deforming the area where it bolts on or it having been replaced with a cheap non-OEM copy.

This said, there is usually a fair bit of play in them, especially if they are cracked, so it may be possible to manipulate it into position.

Volvo part number 9447727. Still available both OEM and non-OEM.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old May 29th, 2022, 20:38   #4
Steve 940
Premier Member

Thanks Mark and Forrest,

That confirms my gut feeling, as I was planning to do belts ltomorrow, I left it off and to be honest, after all the faffing earlier with my dizzy troubles, I didn't really fully investigate.

Will check after replacing the 3 belts (hopefully), but it was way out so as you say could be a poor pattern copy, original probably destroyed by previous owner encountering one of our many local suicidal pheasant population !!

Just glad it hasn't really damaged the rad fins!!

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2022, 21:06   #5
Ian21401
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Hooks in the slots and just bolts up. Nothing fouling it is there ?
As Mark has said.
Two bolts each side and two larger ones on the rear edge.
I’ve had to reinforce the forward flanges near the bolt holes on each side with some bent alloy sheet pop riveted on.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old May 30th, 2022, 18:27   #6
bob12
bob12

On the 745 and I assume the 900 Series the undertray fits into slots on the front edge under the rad and, the side and back originally just had cheapo small wider headed (imitation washer) screw bolts on them.

Over years the side/back holes in the plastic undertray enlarge and the side/back end of the tray is not easy to secure properly.

The simple solution is to use larger about 1" (or so) diameter washers under the screw bolts to hold the tray firmly in place.

Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post: