Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Coolant Question

Views : 1700

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 8th, 2022, 09:23   #21
raleigh753

Regarding bubbles coming up to the expansion tank when engine is running , there are no visible bubbles coming from the pipe and I have also disconnected it and observed it run in to a separate container as a constant stream with no 'spitting' indicating air bubbles . It only occurs with 'town' driving and is fine on long runs ? I am looking for a coolant pressure tester to purchase and wondered if anyone has any recommendations .
raleigh753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2022, 17:15   #22
raleigh753

Default Coolant Issue Update

Re the issue with my coolant system pressurising and forcing the coolant level down . As mentioned did various tests etc. I replaced the radiator due to the existing coolant having something like Rad Weld in it. It was still pressurising the system after this so had to investigate further. I suspected the engine coolant module mounted on the cooling fan housing so rather than pay £137+vat for a genuine one I purchased 2 x aftermarket units (2 by default !) and these gave me further issues with the aircon working once at start-up and when it was cycled it refused to further work unless the engine was stopped and started. Thinking there is obviously a reason why the genuine module is over £100 more than an after market one and Volvo upgraded the module and cooling fans in 2014 due to this same issue ! I purchased a complete used unit (fans and module) from a 2016 XC60 D5 and slotted it in. Result - no more pressurising of the coolant system and air conditioning working correctly ! Happy days
raleigh753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2022, 22:52   #23
ferg55

Glad you got to the bottom of it.

Regarding parts, aftermarket is a bit of a loose term...there's aftermarket from the original Volvo OE manufacturer, aftermarket from another OE manufacturer (not the one which supplied to Volvo originally, but they do supply to other automotive manufacturers) and aftermarket from a non OE manufacturer (some reputable, some not). Likelihood of the part being acceptable runs in that order

Last edited by ferg55; Jul 31st, 2022 at 22:55.
ferg55 is offline   Reply With Quote