Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2024813

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 5th, 2022, 23:51   #3131
BicycleBoy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
… no estates
Your young lad is getting to the age when he'll need his posessions transported regularly from thence to hither, be that university lodgings or from one overpriced bedsit to another....

...could I interest sir in a capacious shooting brake for such purposes?
BicycleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BicycleBoy For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 6th, 2022, 06:32   #3132
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicycleBoy View Post
Your young lad is getting to the age when he'll need his posessions transported regularly from thence to hither, be that university lodgings or from one overpriced bedsit to another....

...could I interest sir in a capacious shooting brake for such purposes?
Wonderful BicycleBoy!

I explained that poorly: the no estates and no turbos rule only applies to hobby cars (Volvos).

I have sensible motor car for transporting Bob, shopping, collecting Volvo parts, collecting building materials, moving motorcycles, picking up the said young lad and various mates from places (cinemas, parties, sports...) and delivering them to other places (cinemas, parties, sports...), trailering Volvos to the Scottish Borders and teaching the again said young lad to drive:

... not only is it an estate (shooting brake), but it is also a turbo (diesel). It is though dead reliable, cheap to run (50 MPG and £30/year tax), reasonably fast, very comfortable, safe... and a bit dull (in a nice way).

The said young lad and I also share a sensible fun car for nice days out:

... shown here some years ago with the same young lad barely tall enough to see over the steering wheel. It is a nice motor car, and great fun, but complex so this old man has never seen any part of the engine, gearbox...

Hobby cars (Volvos) are different - they don't have to be practical, or reliable (but it would be nice if they were - that is where the challenge comes in), so they look like this:

... soon to retire to the Scottish Borders, or like this:

... the apple of my eye (apart from the above said young lad and Bob of course). The main requirements for the Volvos is that they are old, quirky, interesting and easy for an old man to try to make reliable.

I haven't even got on to the motorcycles yet:

So there we have it: a motor car (or motorcycle) for every season, but the Volvos aren't allowed to be estates or turbos.

Another lovely day in paradise.

Bobwalkin' time :-)

Last edited by Othen; Aug 6th, 2022 at 06:34.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 6th, 2022, 06:53   #3133
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
The end of an era, brings a tear to my eye.

Now about that 760 turbo
I find myself being strangely attracted to this for a next project Luke:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115469723...kAAOSwy4xijHai

... if only it was 4 years older :-)
Old Aug 6th, 2022, 07:03   #3134
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I find myself being strangely attracted to this for a next project Luke:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115469723...kAAOSwy4xijHai

... if only it was 4 years older :-)
... or even this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165589809...kAAOSwO7hi2an9

... offer the seller £650 and pick it up with the car trailer on the way back from Selkirk. It might be a bit too much of a challenge converting it to a saloon though :-)
Old Aug 6th, 2022, 07:40   #3135
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Unhappy

Quote:
... or even this:

... offer the seller £650 and pick it up with the car trailer on the way back from Selkirk. It might be a bit too much of a challenge converting it to a saloon though :-)
I thought you said no estates?!

I'd go for the 740 saloon myself as it will hold value better and be tax and MOT expect sooner. Plus that B230E will slot nicely in to that engine bay

Except it is about 2k over priced as a 2.0 na automatic is the least desirable 7/900 and will make the RB look like a rocket.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 6th, 2022, 08:21   #3136
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

I'd go for the 740 saloon myself as it will hold value better and be tax and MOT expect sooner. Plus that B230E will slot nicely in to that engine bay

Except it is about 2k over priced as a 2.0 na automatic is the least desirable 7/900 and will make the RB look like a rocket.
Thank you Luke,

As I said above: 'It might be a bit too much of a challenge converting it to a saloon though :-)'

I agree that 740 saloon is overpriced - and it isn't old enough for me. I may look for a 740 project over the winter, but it would probably have to be a 1984 motor car (so it would qualify as an historic vehicle in 2025 - by then only 2 years hence), a saloon and perhaps something that might benefit from a good B230e motor. By the winter it will be a buyers' market for large, thirsty, unfashionable saloon cars, so I'll probably be able to find an okay one under a grand.

Watch this space...

Alan
Old Aug 6th, 2022, 08:26   #3137
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
... or even this:

NURSE!!!……….he’s out of bed again!!!!😂
Old Aug 6th, 2022, 08:41   #3138
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
NURSE!!!……….he’s out of bed again!!!!😂
I know Andrew: you are right, but I know myself well enough to predict what will happen next.

By the week after Xmas I'd have got a bit bored: I won't be able to find any more jobs to do on GAM and the RB will be happily re-living Dr Finlay's Casebook. I'll decide I need another project and start looking for bikes and cars. January will be an excellent time to buy a large, thirsty, un-trendy saloon car or a mid-life crisis motorcycle: many folk will be struggling to pay the gas and electricity bill whilst still keeping the Sky Sports subscription, the golf club membership and the tanning salon sessions. Someone will look out at that 1984 Volvo 740 GL saloon under the snow that seemed a good idea at £4,000 a few summers ago and decide to unload it. By then £900 in used notes from a tall a chap with a beard will seem like a really good idea.

Another lovely day in paradise...

:-)

Last edited by Othen; Aug 6th, 2022 at 08:43. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 6th, 2022, 08:56   #3139
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
I know Andrew: you are right, but I know myself well enough to predict what will happen next.

By the week after Xmas I'd have got a bit bored: I won't be able to find any more jobs to do on GAM and the RB will be happily re-living Dr Finlay's Casebook. I'll decide I need another project and start looking for bikes and cars. January will be an excellent time to buy a large, thirsty, un-trendy saloon car or a mid-life crisis motorcycle: many folk will be struggling to pay the gas and electricity bill whilst still keeping the Sky Sports subscription, the golf club membership and the tanning salon sessions. Someone will look out at that 1984 Volvo 740 GL saloon under the snow that seemed a good idea at £4,000 a few summers ago and decide to unload it. By then £900 in used notes from a tall a chap with a beard will seem like a really good idea.

Another lovely day in paradise...

:-)

I concur fully, on all counts. There’s some levelling up on the way , no doubt. The sixties and seventies Ferraris won’t feel it but the stuff you’re talking about definitely will.

Anyone with the money and the undercover space will be able to fill their boots , waiting for the good times to return, as , sometime , they will.

Kerching!🧐
Old Aug 6th, 2022, 09:54   #3140
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

How about this one Luke:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/volvo/volv...ors/1437661136

... a 6 door limousine, built that way from new!

It certainly passed the quirkiness test, but is 6 years too young for my liking :-).