Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is it possible to fit 3 child seats + 2 adults in a V60?

Views : 1992

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 19th, 2022, 07:45   #11
Swedishtimemachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcooke999 View Post
Wow the V60 & V70 being measuring the same across the back is t something I expected. I always thought the V70 rear seats looked wider?

I think our issue will be access to the buckles as all our car seats are non-isofix as our other car is a 1999 Honda Civic so we just got seats that would work in both cars...

But even with isofix seats, the gap between them in the middle seat of the V60 looks really tight to me...
The isofix seats do narrow your options but they were a non negotiable for us. Without isofix you can in theory move the seat right to the edge of the bench. The reality is the space is tight. I used to have a Chrysler 300c but couldn’t make the 3 seats work (believe me I tried) so we bought the smax for my wife as the main car and I then got something smaller.
Swedishtimemachine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swedishtimemachine For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2022, 19:32   #12
mcooke999

UPDATE: I did try our various car seats earlier today and basically with 3 car seats in the back, access to the buckles is pretty much impossible... But with one of the forward facing seats in the front and the rearward facing carrycot in the middle in the back + wife & booster seat either side it does work (i.e.: buckles are still accessable because the carry cot is facing the other way), however, I'd imagine as soon as the baby has outgrown the carrycot then it will be back to the same problem of no access to buckles again 🤔 so basically I the V60 is do-able for now, or at least until the baby is circa 9-12 months old maybe....

So it's basically either get the most out of the V60 and change later down the line or just bite the bullet and change before the baby arrives then it's all sorted, what to that can fit all 5 of us comfortably, now that's the question 🤔
mcooke999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2022, 21:12   #13
Swedishtimemachine

It’s quite a conundrum and the shoulder width will be a factor as they get older and the seats wider. A point to consider is how often you will all be in the car and for how long. If you have 2 cars and only travel together occasionally it might be worth the extra fuel to take 2 cars rather than the cost of changing.
Swedishtimemachine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swedishtimemachine For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2022, 21:24   #14
AB100

We had to 'recover' our three grandchildren a couple of times recently in our my17 XC60 and it was awkward but not impossible to do, but not with three across the back seat!
3 year old twins sit in swivel type removable seats now facing forward and the 5 year old has his own none isofix seat.
We put the two isofix swivels in the rear with the third seat in the front. My wife, who is fairly slim, struggled to access and sit in the centre position!
My son had this same problem (about 3 years ago!) and did a fair bit of research. They ended up searching for a new Seat Alhambra with three rows of seats as being virtually the only one at the time that fitted the requirements. An adult can sit in the centre of the centre row and look after drinks and snacks! As a bonus it has sliding rear doors which are absolutely excellent for access.
As im sure you know, its not just the kids themselves, its the buggy and all the other paraphanailia as well, so he still has a roofbox for long trips!
Our XC60 actually has the family pack with inbuilt booster cushions. A third, none isofix, seat in the rear is very possible in this case, however, the extra electrics and airbags are welcome, but the boosters are only ok for short trips as there is no side support. When snacks are done and they need a snooze, those little ones flop all over the place. I believe there was a slip over padding set that was available from Volvo at a considerable cost!
In our case a fourth grandchild has now arrived, and it is believed that the Alhambra will cope with that for a while!
I think that there are a couple of 7 seat EV's from Korea about to debut, which may be an answer for the future, but probably at a cost not far off a new Volvo!
Hope thats useful, good luck!
AB100 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AB100 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 20th, 2022, 18:38   #15
mcooke999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedishtimemachine View Post
It’s quite a conundrum and the shoulder width will be a factor as they get older and the seats wider. A point to consider is how often you will all be in the car and for how long. If you have 2 cars and only travel together occasionally it might be worth the extra fuel to take 2 cars rather than the cost of changing.
This is our main family car which we do regularly use for trips / family stuff and holidays etc. My wife has a smaller runaround (civic) which is only really used for her and the kids...

So shoulder width in the future is a key consideration, I'm hoping somehow that an XC70 will be wider across the back but others have suggested this isn't the case?
mcooke999 is offline   Reply With Quote