Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Remove Volvo On-Call advice message

Views : 11326

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 22:34   #11
Dtp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
Banzai,
It was free for 2 years, then I paid for the third year.
Since I'm going to sell it and buy a new one, I didn't renew this year.
I just want to stop the "On-Call is Disabled" message everytime the car is started - it doesn't go away on its own but has to be manually cancelled every time.

Dtp - presumably you don't get the "On-call is disabled" message every time the engine is switched on? Maybe the previous owner had subscribed to the Volvo On-call? Did you buy your car from a dealer?

I bought my car from what you might call a back street car sales plot. I don't get any message at all when I start the car. I never have.
I pressed and held the SOS button just to see what happens. There wasn't even a SIM card in the phone.
I am presuming that the SOS side of the system still works and if I have a serious accident and the air bags went off Volvo on call will know and send the emergency services.
Dtp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dtp For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 08:03   #12
EdmundIJones

I've read on US Volvo forums that Volvo will disconnect on-call and reset it from the call centre end to remove the message.

I think it's shocking if they can't as on-call is an optional extra, it's not a traditional safety feature that is by directive such as airbags/SRS, it's an alerting system - the owner should have the right to not send out alerts if they wish. Regardless to if they were in an accident.

Maybe your best course of action is to renew the subscription and then add the price to the car when you sell, call it an additional safety feature and charge more. If you can't hide it, emphasise it.
EdmundIJones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EdmundIJones For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2013, 23:35   #13
AB-UK
Premier Member

I visited the Volvo on-call website, and nowhere does it say the disabled message can or can't be cancelled. It only advises to renew the subscription.
Also, nowhere on their extensive site does it say how much it costs to renew. You have to call them, at your expense, to find out.

I used their contact email to complain, only to have a response that they are on holiday for a month, and all enquiries should be made to your local dealer.

Honestly, it's this level of customer service which puts people off.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 14:00   #14
racingclub

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
I visited the Volvo on-call website, and nowhere does it say the disabled message can or can't be cancelled. It only advises to renew the subscription.
Also, nowhere on their extensive site does it say how much it costs to renew. You have to call them, at your expense, to find out.

I used their contact email to complain, only to have a response that they are on holiday for a month, and all enquiries should be made to your local dealer.

Honestly, it's this level of customer service which puts people off.
I know its strange, but culturally its very normal for the Nordics to all take off the entire summer period as holiday (think its actually be part of their employment rights). I work for a big global organisation, and it makes some of my work very hard as I need help from Swedish colleagues who are simply not there for the summer, the offices and factory simply shuts down apart from a skeleton staff to keep the lights on.

If your enquiry ended up there, I'd give it until end of August for a reply.
racingclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 20:08   #15
AB-UK
Premier Member

Volvo UK replied to me.
The only way to remove the message they say is to pay £150.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2022, 10:36   #16
october37

Default Volvo Mobile Phone

I was informed by my local Volvo Dealer that the message was caused by a flat phone battery which would cost over £1400 to replace.

08 V70 Mk3 189000 miles
october37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2022, 10:50   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by october37 View Post
I was informed by my local Volvo Dealer that the message was caused by a flat phone battery which would cost over £1400 to replace.

08 V70 Mk3 189000 miles
They should have "reset the on call battery" to get over this one.. It is almost certain not to be a flat battery. These are very special very long life high tech batteries.