Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil filter

Views : 691

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 9th, 2023, 20:04   #1
Dippydog
Premier Member

Default Oil filter

This is a personal preference thing and I'm not particularly wanting to start a debate on the pros and cons of either but I far prefer the spin on type oil filter to the canister type.My V70 has the canister type where only the element is changed is it possible to change this to the spin on type? I converted my Omega V6 in this way for less than £5 so wondering if the V70 can also be done as I understand the earlier cars than mine had a spin on filter[?]
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2023, 20:30   #2
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
This is a personal preference thing and I'm not particularly wanting to start a debate on the pros and cons of either but I far prefer the spin on type oil filter to the canister type.My V70 has the canister type where only the element is changed is it possible to change this to the spin on type? I converted my Omega V6 in this way for less than £5 so wondering if the V70 can also be done as I understand the earlier cars than mine had a spin on filter[?]
Spin on is faster and I've had a canister element one wear so that the thing popped up once under any pressure, that was a VW btw.

Can't help with the idea of swapping out for the other method but I'd say it will rest on however it joins the engine as the central screw won't be there right now.

Last edited by SnineT; Jan 9th, 2023 at 22:00.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2023, 20:41   #3
ITSv40
VOC Member

The block castings are different. The early metal canister type mate up to a flat surface to form the seal. The later element type in the plastic housing seal on the side of the housing, so you would need to undertake some comprehensive machining to change the engine casting to suit.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 9th, 2023, 21:12   #4
Alpine

I agree, my S70 had the spin on but my V70 has the plastic canister.

Although now I have bought the correct Laser tool to get the canister off, it is pretty easy.

Need to make sure that when you buy the paper filter it comes with the new rubber seal. GSF tried to sell me one last week with the seal missing.
Old Jan 10th, 2023, 09:36   #5
Dippydog
Premier Member

Not as straightforward and easy as the V6 Omega then by the sounds of it.Oh well never mind it was just an idea.
Thanks for the replies.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 10th, 2023, 18:20   #6
Goupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
The block castings are different. The early metal canister type mate up to a flat surface to form the seal. The later element type in the plastic housing seal on the side of the housing, so you would need to undertake some comprehensive machining to change the engine casting to suit.
It's on the oil pan so technically you could "just" fit a N engine (-98) pan to a RN (99+) engine.

Afaik the only difference apart from the filter style is the oil cooler: turbo N engines have an external thermostat and the oil cooler is in the radiator (N/A have a block off plate), RN engines have the cooler integrated in the pan.
That means the coolant pipes at the back of the block are different, oil pickup must match the pan as well.

People have done that swap the other way, usually when mixing two engines into one
https://www.swedespeed.com/threads/r...n-swap.582245/
http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic...rade-question/

It's not impossible to do, but that would be quite a few filters worth of parts and some hours of work !
Old Jan 10th, 2023, 18:42   #7
Dippydog
Premier Member

Thanks for that.For reference mine is a 2.4 n/a petrol.