Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Just Acquired a mint C70 'vert

Views : 2190

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 27th, 2023, 12:17   #11
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

This is totally standard (almost) and has a full Volvo history. Only one advisory ever on an MOT for worn rear discs.

A couple of things I've noted as I've gone round and cleaned her:

First is the strut brace. For some reason my brain never registered it when I bought the car but there it is. I do not know the make, but it's a nice looking plain alloy job. I shall leave it as reading around it seems these do tighten up the front and reduce the wobble on these.

And second is the tyres. They've only done 6000 miles since they were fitted...9 years ago! The tread is at 6mm but I'm not happy with 9 year old boots, that's what did for Paul Walker. Over the next week or so I'll get it booked in for fresh rubber all round. The history shows the rims were professionally refurbished by way of powdermcoat a couple of years ago and look mint so I will watch like a hawk as the tyre fitters go at it - I certainly won't be going to Kwap Fit or the like, will pay the few extra quid for my trusted local garage to do it.

Other than that I can't find a mark on the car. It's a real time warp job.
Familyman 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2023, 22:21   #12
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post
This is totally standard (almost) and has a full Volvo history. Only one advisory ever on an MOT for worn rear discs.

A couple of things I've noted as I've gone round and cleaned her:

First is the strut brace. For some reason my brain never registered it when I bought the car but there it is. I do not know the make, but it's a nice looking plain alloy job. I shall leave it as reading around it seems these do tighten up the front and reduce the wobble on these.

And second is the tyres. They've only done 6000 miles since they were fitted...9 years ago! The tread is at 6mm but I'm not happy with 9 year old boots, that's what did for Paul Walker. Over the next week or so I'll get it booked in for fresh rubber all round. The history shows the rims were professionally refurbished by way of powdermcoat a couple of years ago and look mint so I will watch like a hawk as the tyre fitters go at it - I certainly won't be going to Kwap Fit or the like, will pay the few extra quid for my trusted local garage to do it.

Other than that I can't find a mark on the car. It's a real time warp job.
The strut brace is factory fit on the later models. Some people swear they transform the car and they sell for a high price second hand, but personally I cannot see what fitting a broom handle six inches in front of the bulkhead would do...

I would be ok on 9 year old tyres if the car had been garaged and there was no signs of cracking and they were decent brands. But equally I'd never argue that changing them isn't a good idea.....
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2023, 13:15   #13
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

They're not cracked. Visibly they appear fine. Nevertheless, tyres in use have a safe life of about 6 years (some manufacturers claim 9 or 10, but I'll stick with the bulk of them and RoSPA) as the chemicals that keep the compound supple start to leach away and the material hardens, and the tyre becomes less effective at conforming to the road surface and grip is thus reduced.

They could well be fine, but a new set of quality boots is a little under £400 and I value my life and wellbeing - and that of Mrs Familyman - a lot more than that paltry sum. I'll get it done and if the only benefit is peace of mind then it was worth every penny.

Last edited by Familyman 90; May 28th, 2023 at 13:19.
Old May 30th, 2023, 16:11   #14
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Started the slow process of getting it back up to A1 standards.

That spare has never been used - the date code on the tyre is 0519, so has been replaced more recently - and I can feel pretty safe in saying this one has never been used for a tip run.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20230530_160020482.jpg (175.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20230530_160226390.jpg (165.3 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Familyman 90; May 30th, 2023 at 16:16.
Old May 30th, 2023, 20:02   #15
ITSv40
VOC Member

That does look clean.

Unusual that it has a full size spare as generally a space saver was supplied. Also strange that the spare does not match the wheels on the car.

Do you have the tool bag with the small tools and cotton gloves and the manual roof tools?
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old May 30th, 2023, 21:00   #16
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post
Started the slow process of getting it back up to A1 standards.

That spare has never been used - the date code on the tyre is 0519, so has been replaced more recently - and I can feel pretty safe in saying this one has never been used for a tip run.
You could eat your dinner off that boot floor...

Suspect someone's bought a full size wheel and tyre to replace the space saver, the looks like an Orestes wheel from a S60.

Brand new Pirelli P6000 as a get you home spare? Clearly lavished with care!
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2023, 21:12   #17
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
That does look clean.

Unusual that it has a full size spare as generally a space saver was supplied. Also strange that the spare does not match the wheels on the car.

Do you have the tool bag with the small tools and cotton gloves and the manual roof tools?
It had a space saver with the polystyrene spacer - which I received with the car - but the chap swapped it out for a full size wheel a few years ago.

He couldn't find a new Otrera alloy anywhere so he brought another style in the same size, brand new.

Been leafing through the history today. Its an A4 binder full of invoices about 2 inches thick. The strut brace is a genuine Volvo accessory brought from Lipscomb Volvo for probably 3 times what an aftermarket one would cost. That said, it's a solid old lump of metal.

Dash trim inserts are the optional carbon fibre, the realmdeal and not faux stuff, that I've only ever seen before in the brochures. Leather is the optional soft option in a dark grey. Wheels were powder coated some years back and are still genuinely like new.

Half term is an odd time for me. I'm retired but Mrs Familyman works in a school so is at home this week and is ruining my routine by making me do stuff, but I've set Friday aside to give it a really good detail. The engine bay is dirty, albeit leak and rot free, so that may take a bit more time to sort but should be straightforward. The only real blot on the whole car is the clear lacquer on some engine castings has failed and looks poor, but I think I can live with it.

Brake calipers aren't bad but will be refinished in due course. Brakes seem a bit feeble but I think that's just me being accustomed to our other cars which are electric with quite powerful regeneration functions. Fluid was changed and front discs and pads were replaced last January.

No sign of any manual roof tools.

Last edited by Familyman 90; May 30th, 2023 at 21:19.
Old May 30th, 2023, 21:40   #18
ITSv40
VOC Member

Ah, good that you have the space saver and polystyrene donut as that is what would have been supplied new.

The small tools are as pictured and usually live in the spare wheel along side the jack. The T shaped tool at the bottom of the photo and the black angled tool to its right live in the polythene pocket and should be in the glove box along with the owners manual. These are the manual roof tools and used if the electric roof function ceases to operate as it should.

All in all you have a good specimen there - good ones are hard to find. When I bought mine 6 years ago I looked at about a dozen, all advertised as immaculate and at the top end price wise. All of them were rough old abused dogs. I was looking for the very best and price was irrelevant - I eventually found the perfect car in the right mechanical configuration and colour spec and have been very pleased with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20211029_110722 (2).jpg (181.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20180405_015.jpg (199.4 KB, 17 views)
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old May 30th, 2023, 22:02   #19
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Yours looks nice in blue, I like that.

I'll start keeping my eye out for the tools.
Old Jun 2nd, 2023, 13:20   #20
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Been busy cleaning and making a snagging list. Nothing major. Calipers need a repaint. I would like to have them pro refurbished but it only had new brake fluid in January so I'm loathe to remove them just for the sake of it. That being the case I'll mask it all off and repaint them, either silver or a very light gold.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20230602_131521404.jpg (293.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20230602_131502707.jpg (306.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20230602_131537382.jpg (355.9 KB, 16 views)