Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Failed MOT: fix, then sell, or sell for parts/scrap?

Views : 3159

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 30th, 2023, 11:31   #21
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
That is a really helpful comment. I'd never seen a door like that, but then all my 240s have been older. Perhaps something changed in the construction or finishing with the later motorcars?

Could well be, Alan. We also had only early cars from the late '70s and early '80s, although they were much younger so should not have rusted through anyway. The worst rust was on the tops of the front wings of our '75N car when it was about 9 years old - but the very early cars did not have wing liners.

Regards, John.
Old Jun 30th, 2023, 20:43   #22
Blauwe

Thanks for your replies.

The interior of the car is pretty much immaculate. Incredible how well it's kept up. The car has not been abused. The tire problem came about partially due to the car not being driven a lot at all. In hindsight, I think my dad got ill a lot earlier then any of us realised and struggled to stay on top of life admin, repairs etc.

Here's the full MOT report for those interested:
Do not drive until repaired (dangerous defects):
Nearside Front Tyre has a tear, caused by separation or partial failure of its structure (5.2.3 (d) (ii))
Offside Front Tyre has a tear, caused by separation or partial failure of its structure (5.2.3 (d) (ii))
Offside Rear Tyre has a tear, caused by separation or partial failure of its structure (5.2.3 (d) (ii))

Repair immediately (major defects):
Emissions unable to be completed DUE TO COOLANT LEAK... (8.2.1.2 (d))
Fluid leak harmful to the environment or a risk to other road users COOLANT... (8.4.1 (a) (i))
Nearside Front Direction indicator not working (4.4.1 (a) (ii))
Brake performance unable to be tested (1.2.1 (g))

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
FRONT BRAKE BACKING PLATES HOLED AND RUSTY...
Suspension arm corroded but not seriously weakened ALL FOUR ARMS... (5.3.3 (b) (i))

Breaks my heart to have the scrap the car, however, do appreciate it needs repairs and TLC. If I had the money and didn't live in London, I'd love to have kept it.
Blauwe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blauwe For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 30th, 2023, 21:05   #23
volvo always
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blauwe View Post
Thanks for your replies.

The interior of the car is pretty much immaculate. Incredible how well it's kept up. The car has not been abused. The tire problem came about partially due to the car not being driven a lot at all. In hindsight, I think my dad got ill a lot earlier then any of us realised and struggled to stay on top of life admin, repairs etc.

Here's the full MOT report for those interested:
Do not drive until repaired (dangerous defects):
Nearside Front Tyre has a tear, caused by separation or partial failure of its structure (5.2.3 (d) (ii))
Offside Front Tyre has a tear, caused by separation or partial failure of its structure (5.2.3 (d) (ii))
Offside Rear Tyre has a tear, caused by separation or partial failure of its structure (5.2.3 (d) (ii))

Repair immediately (major defects):
Emissions unable to be completed DUE TO COOLANT LEAK... (8.2.1.2 (d))
Fluid leak harmful to the environment or a risk to other road users COOLANT... (8.4.1 (a) (i))
Nearside Front Direction indicator not working (4.4.1 (a) (ii))
Brake performance unable to be tested (1.2.1 (g))

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
FRONT BRAKE BACKING PLATES HOLED AND RUSTY...
Suspension arm corroded but not seriously weakened ALL FOUR ARMS... (5.3.3 (b) (i))

Breaks my heart to have the scrap the car, however, do appreciate it needs repairs and TLC. If I had the money and didn't live in London, I'd love to have kept it.
If you can't do the work, then don't just scrap it! List on Ebay, here, Car and classic. I'm sure it will find a good home. It looks far too good to just weigh in for scrap. Scrap probably get cubed straight away. At least offering it on Ebay etc may live on whole or at least many parts salvaged to keep other 240's on the road.

Brake backing plates. My 940 I noticed last week has none! Must of rusted and been removed 6 years prior. Not mentioned in MOT as needing them.

James
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 30th, 2023, 21:32   #24
Bob 1967
Master Member

See where the coolant is leaking from, it could be a simple fix?

The coolant leak is causing a knock effect on as car can't be run and therefore can't be tested properly .

4 el cheapo tyres (even part worn) would be enough to get it through an mot.
Indicator bulb , simple replacement.
The others like the backing plate are Advisories and not a fail.
Wire brush and a £10 can of stone chip spray will be sufficient for non structural
rust.

Last edited by Bob 1967; Jun 30th, 2023 at 21:35.
Bob 1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bob 1967 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 30th, 2023, 21:56   #25
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

@ 'Volvo always' & 'Bob 1967'. I guess it depends on whether you have the time and inclination, tools, facilities, skills, etc.

I think Alan listed the possible options very clearly in an early post. Scrapping the car would be the easiest and most convenient way for the O.P. to dispose of his car, but with potentially the least return. It is, after all, his car to do with as he chooses, even if that would be the least desirable outcome from our point of view.

Regards, John.
Old Jul 1st, 2023, 05:46   #26
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
@ 'Volvo always' & 'Bob 1967'. I guess it depends on whether you have the time and inclination, tools, facilities, skills, etc.

I think Alan listed the possible options very clearly in an early post. Scrapping the car would be the easiest and most convenient way for the O.P. to dispose of his car, but with potentially the least return. It is, after all, his car to do with as he chooses, even if that would be the least desirable outcome from our point of view.

Regards, John.
Absolutely John,

We should all look at this issue from Blauwe's perspective and not our own. Most of the correspondents advocating that Blauwe fix the motorcar would think nothing of (say) removing and replacing an engine over the course of a weekend. In this context Blauwe tells us he lives in London, so may not have the off-road space (or the tools, knowledge or inclination) to repair the coolant leak and so get the VWW through the MoT test.

I recall a similar issue when VOC member davidcheshire advertised (in this forum) his 1984 240GLT estate, which had also failed MoT in October last, there being no takers from our group of Volvo enthusiasts he told us a few weeks later that in was: 'Sold 24.10.22 to a breaker in Inverurie for £200'.

My point is that we should focus on Blauwe's issue rather than have our thoughts clouded by rose tinted spectacles. I'm guessing the VWW isn't at Blauwe's house in London, and that he doesn't have the time, capacity or inclination to undertake the repairs himself. He therefore would have to rely on a garage to investigate and repair the coolant leak (the other jobs like the tyres are trivial, but still costly). Depending on what is wrong this might cost £25 or £750, if it was the upper end of that scale it would not be worth fixing (in Blauwe's circumstances).

This will be a difficult time for Blauwe; he has to deal with his father's passing, help his mother resolve the estate and continue with his own life in London. He doesn't want to commit a fortune to repairing the motorcar, having it tested again, advertising it, having to host potential buyers viewing and possibly being messed around by an insincere buyer. The easiest solution would be to call a local scrap merchant who would collect the motorcar and have it out of his mother's way in exchange for £300 to £400. That would be a pity, but that would be a perfectly reasonable thing to do in Blauwe's circumstances.

I'm struggling to see it being worth Blauwe's time to have the motorcar repaired, the tyres replaced and it re-tested, then go through the process of advertising and selling it for perhaps £1,500 to £2,000 at this difficult time for his family. I do rather hope he considerers investing a little of his time and effort in taking the middle line and advertising it as a non-runner, where it might attract the attention of an enthusiast (it may still end up at the banger racing circuit though).

We don't know all the facts of course, so it is difficult to make a judgement, but perhaps the best advice to Blauwe would be to advertise the motorcar as it is in these pages (free) at quite a low price, and simultaneously on a 10 day eBay auction and take whatever price it gets to. The downsides of that are that Blauwe's mother may have to host potential buyers viewing it, and the risk of insincere bidders that seems to pervade online auctions.

A free ad in these pages would take just a few minutes to place with a candid description and the photos Blauwe has already shown us, and that could happen today. Depending on the VWW's location (it might be helpful to know that) a Volvo enthusiast (or one of the opportunistic dealers that scan the '200 series for sale' section) may be be in a position to collect it with a trailer and fix it (if it wasn't for my impending house move to Zummrezette I'd probably just do that myself and take it on as a project).

Only Blauwe can decide on the best thing to do in his family's circumstances, we should wish him good fortune whatever he chooses.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Jul 1st, 2023 at 07:25. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2023, 07:57   #27
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Very well and sensitively put, Alan. Thank you.

Regards, John.
Old Jul 2nd, 2023, 12:32   #28
Blauwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Absolutely John,

We should all look at this issue from Blauwe's perspective and not our own. Most of the correspondents advocating that Blauwe fix the motorcar would think nothing of (say) removing and replacing an engine over the course of a weekend. In this context Blauwe tells us he lives in London, so may not have the off-road space (or the tools, knowledge or inclination) to repair the coolant leak and so get the VWW through the MoT test.

I recall a similar issue when VOC member davidcheshire advertised (in this forum) his 1984 240GLT estate, which had also failed MoT in October last, there being no takers from our group of Volvo enthusiasts he told us a few weeks later that in was: 'Sold 24.10.22 to a breaker in Inverurie for £200'.

My point is that we should focus on Blauwe's issue rather than have our thoughts clouded by rose tinted spectacles. I'm guessing the VWW isn't at Blauwe's house in London, and that he doesn't have the time, capacity or inclination to undertake the repairs himself. He therefore would have to rely on a garage to investigate and repair the coolant leak (the other jobs like the tyres are trivial, but still costly). Depending on what is wrong this might cost £25 or £750, if it was the upper end of that scale it would not be worth fixing (in Blauwe's circumstances).

This will be a difficult time for Blauwe; he has to deal with his father's passing, help his mother resolve the estate and continue with his own life in London. He doesn't want to commit a fortune to repairing the motorcar, having it tested again, advertising it, having to host potential buyers viewing and possibly being messed around by an insincere buyer. The easiest solution would be to call a local scrap merchant who would collect the motorcar and have it out of his mother's way in exchange for £300 to £400. That would be a pity, but that would be a perfectly reasonable thing to do in Blauwe's circumstances.

I'm struggling to see it being worth Blauwe's time to have the motorcar repaired, the tyres replaced and it re-tested, then go through the process of advertising and selling it for perhaps £1,500 to £2,000 at this difficult time for his family. I do rather hope he considerers investing a little of his time and effort in taking the middle line and advertising it as a non-runner, where it might attract the attention of an enthusiast (it may still end up at the banger racing circuit though).

We don't know all the facts of course, so it is difficult to make a judgement, but perhaps the best advice to Blauwe would be to advertise the motorcar as it is in these pages (free) at quite a low price, and simultaneously on a 10 day eBay auction and take whatever price it gets to. The downsides of that are that Blauwe's mother may have to host potential buyers viewing it, and the risk of insincere bidders that seems to pervade online auctions.

A free ad in these pages would take just a few minutes to place with a candid description and the photos Blauwe has already shown us, and that could happen today. Depending on the VWW's location (it might be helpful to know that) a Volvo enthusiast (or one of the opportunistic dealers that scan the '200 series for sale' section) may be be in a position to collect it with a trailer and fix it (if it wasn't for my impending house move to Zummrezette I'd probably just do that myself and take it on as a project).

Only Blauwe can decide on the best thing to do in his family's circumstances, we should wish him good fortune whatever he chooses.

Alan
Thanks Alan for understanding the situation. Instead of forking out on tires and repairs, I'll clean and polish the car, replace the lightbulb, check everything else is working then I'll probably put it on eBay 10 day auction, being honest about the condition of the car.

I'll love to put it for sale here, but struggling to price it as is. Any ideas would be helpful.

FYI - the car is located south Surrey, near West Sussex/Hampshire borders.
Blauwe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blauwe For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 2nd, 2023, 13:37   #29
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blauwe View Post
Thanks Alan for understanding the situation. Instead of forking out on tires and repairs, I'll clean and polish the car, replace the lightbulb, check everything else is working then I'll probably put it on eBay 10 day auction, being honest about the condition of the car.

I'll love to put it for sale here, but struggling to price it as is. Any ideas would be helpful.

FYI - the car is located south Surrey, near West Sussex/Hampshire borders.
South Surrey is good Volvo estate country (well, it was 30 years ago, it is probably Range Rover and BMW X5 country now). I came from that area originally (went to school in Farnham), and so know it well.

If you wanted to sell it quickly on this forum I'd suggest you try it at £900 (that always sounds so much less than a grand). Describe it candidly with those nice photos you posted the other day, make it clear it will need trailering away and perhaps there will be someone in Frensham or Liphook looking for a project just like that.

As far as the eBay ad goes, I'd say start it at what you can get from the scrap merchant (about £400 I should think) and see how it goes.

Good fortune,

Alan