Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 185, 202 or 215?

Views : 6637

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 22nd, 2016, 22:15   #21
850Chris
Premier Member

Guys,

This has just come to market fairly local to me, and ticks most of the boxes I'm after (I'm unusual in that I want manual).

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...code=p&adPos=9

HOWEVER, it's an SE rather than SE Lux. What toys would I be missing and is the stereo in the SE reasonable?

Thanks

2004 V50 T5 SE Manual

Now sold, off to BMW land for a while.

Last edited by 850Chris; Sep 22nd, 2016 at 22:18.
850Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2016, 23:16   #22
cheshired5
Premier Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 850Chris View Post
HOWEVER, it's an SE rather than SE Lux.
I believe the only difference is that the SE Lux has this for a gear knob.

The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2016, 23:26   #23
I-S
Premier Member

Looking at that, basically all you miss out on are electric driver's seat and Xenons.

High Performance Audio is decent enough - and i say that as a recovering audiophile (and amplifier designer!). A car is never a great environment and it does the job.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2016, 07:50   #24
spitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 850Chris View Post

HOWEVER, it's an SE rather than SE Lux. What toys would I be missing and is the stereo in the SE reasonable?

Thanks
I have the HPA in my 2012 V70 and am consistently impressed with the sound it produces, especially with a USB connected iPod which permanently lives under the arm rest.

On the minus side I don't see any parking sensors which might be a big miss (could just be the pics). I would be very nervous if I did not have at least a rear set in mine!

Hope this helps.
spitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2016, 08:11   #25
RM955I
Premier Member

I have an SE Premium...which is pretty well a Lux LOL.

It's missing the Xenoms and has different 17 wheels but other than that seems pretty much the same... it has NAV (it's rubbish despite updating it - the routing is bizarre, I mean really bizarre, so I've gone back to my TomTom) rear entertainment system, leather etc. I can't say that with DAB, Bluetooth, leather, heated electric seats etc I feel particularly like a pauper in my SE Premium, particularly as it's a twin turbo D5. I think some of the kit was optional as the owner specced it up a bit...and the dealer contributed as some retard registered it on 31 December meaning it is down as an 09 not a 2010 as it really is...can't say I blame the previous owner for going 'ape'.
Old Sep 23rd, 2016, 09:40   #26
Finbo

Looking at the photos, it does have parking sensors.
Finbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2017, 21:42   #27
850Chris
Premier Member

Just a quick update on this to say that we've ended up buying a Skoda Octavia Scout as the family wagon. A very capable car. I'll get my coat!

V50 remains my daily driver though, so happy all round!

2004 V50 T5 SE Manual

Now sold, off to BMW land for a while.
850Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2023, 21:58   #28
Tim Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by dme123 View Post
The twin turbo engines (202bhp and 215bhp) are miles better than the old one. More refined, smoother power delivery, and the few weaknesses with the D5 (swirl flap arm) seems to be finally fixed. There is the odd case of HGF on the 202bhp and economy is improved quite a bit with the 215bhp engine too.

Either twin turbo D5 will remap to 250bhp+ and give even a proper HPT T5 a hard time, let alone the LPT 2.5 version.
Hi- I've just bought a 2015 v70 (D5 215bhp). Thinking of having a remap done, but have seen some comments elsewhere about issues arising from this. Sounds like you might have some first hand experience, any thoughts would be gratefully received!
Tim Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2023, 10:54   #29
Tatsfield
Premier Member

I have a 215 bhp D5. I had the Polestar optimisation applied. My reasoning was:

a) It's a Volvo option and so the insurers were not worried about it, especially as it's called an "optimisation" and not a "powertune"
b) Once installed it lives in the ECU software permanently, unlike non Volvo rewrites which are erased if the software is routinely updated by Volvo as part of routine servicing.
c) The optimisation covers other areas of software such as the auto box control. I heard that 4C suspension also is altered but I doubted that.

Overall the effects of the optimisation are to produce a more tractable and powerful car. I wouldn't go back to the original spec now that I am used to the Polestar levels of performance. It's not race track but it is great for street driving. There are a lot of BMWs out there who have been surprised by my old "furniture van"!

Polestar is not cheap and it's worth shopping around for discounts and certainly worth asking for them. I paid about £500 for the £800 package and combined with it being a business tax deduction and VAT recoverable in my business its real cost was around £200 which was really worthwhile.