Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Connecting to wifi

Views : 806

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 25th, 2024, 20:58   #1
davidwf15

Default Connecting to wifi

Two issues
My 2023 xc60 has previously connected to my home wifi......now it doesnt even list it....
I tried connecting to my phones wifi hot-spot which it found but then wouldn't allow me to enter the password (no box appeared)
I have reset the TCAM (hold front defroster button) and also restarted the whole infotainment (hold middle button) to no avail
Ideas.....
davidwf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2024, 01:31   #2
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Try turning your car so the back is near the house, the shark fin on the roof is the antenna.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2024, 09:23   #3
davidwf15

thanks....it already is....and thats where it has always been
we have super strong wifi with three discs which covers around 80ft past where the car is

.....doesnt explain why there is no pop up to enter the password when on my phones hotspot....it is a requirement TO HAVE a password https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...a80151691ccec6

Last edited by davidwf15; May 26th, 2024 at 09:27.
The Following User Says Thank You to davidwf15 For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2024, 09:26   #4
davidwf15

.....doesnt explain why there is no pop up to enter the password when on my phones hotspot....it is a requirement TO have a password https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...a80151691ccec6
oops apologies for the double post......cant seem to delete it

Last edited by davidwf15; May 26th, 2024 at 09:29.
Old May 26th, 2024, 14:08   #5
Tim Cullis

Thanks for admitting me to the FB group.

I am a first-time Volvo owner and collected my new-to-me 2023 T8 Plus on Monday from Volvo Havant. Unfortunately I had to spend more than two hours sitting around the showroom whilst the dealer tried to solve problems with Internet connection. It was finally declared sorted, and off I went, but since then...

The SOS light is often flashing red which I believe means it can't connect to something. I'm not sure who or what it is supposed to be connecting to—the owners manual seems extremely light on detail.

When the SOS light is a steady white, it mostly can't see WiFi networks even though I am parked 10m away from my router (which I have moved so there's only a window, not bricks, in between the router and the car).

Occasionally it can see WiFi networks and a couple of times it finally listed my iPhone 15 as a hotspot contender, however I got the message "failed to make connection" (and yes, no password was requested).

Bluetooth keeps turning off, and when switched on again, has disconnected my iPhone.

Apple CarPlay is pretty much unusable.

I can’t use voice control—there's a message saying it can’t reach the Internet.

Volvo Cars app thinks my car is parked 6 miles away, and can’t save my changes to the battery recharging schedule.

Obviously I'm going to be contacting the dealer, but any suggestions right now would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Tim Cullis; May 26th, 2024 at 14:12.
Tim Cullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2024, 14:02   #6
Hadajag

@Tim Cullis
I think there is some confusion here. The car normally connects continously to the Internet via 4g data using the inbuilt SIM. From your description it appears that it is this system that is at fault and needs dealer attention.
The car can connect to the internet if signed in to a WiFi network but I have found this to be unnecessary.
Interested to know why you need to use Apple Car Play?

Last edited by Hadajag; May 27th, 2024 at 14:06.
Hadajag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2024, 21:11   #7
Tim Cullis

@Hadajag: "Interested to know why you need to use Apple Car Play?"

I could answer that it's the same as why climb Everest—because it's there. Volvo obviously thought it would be useful, but there are several other reasons, one that can't be argued with is that Google Maps is six years out of date in one of the countries I visit, and whilst in that country I use either Apple Maps or Maps.me (which uses OpenStreetMaps).

"The car can connect to the internet if signed in to a WiFi network but I have found this to be unnecessary."

Same response—Volvo seems to think it's worthwhile but with the appalling documentation I don't have much of a clue what it's real worth is. I'd like to get voice commands working and the error message I received specifically mentioned wifi connection. Also @davidwf15 is trying to get it working which makes me think there's something in it.
Old May 29th, 2024, 15:39   #8
Hadajag

Thanks for the response it's I suppose an each to his own situation.
Which country have you found Google maps to be out of date? I have used it in several European countries amd found it very up to date. It has saved me countless hours by avoiding traffic queues and road closures.
I have several friends who are Apple fans but all use Google maps as they find that it is Apple maps that
is out of date and lacks other info.
Notwithstanding this I am sure that your fundamental problem appears to be with the data connection which your dealer should sort.
Old May 30th, 2024, 11:41   #9
Tim Cullis

ONE PROBLEM SORTED

I took a video of my attempts to connect to wifi and sent it to the dealer who informed me that there is a line of the screen (only barely visible) above the 'show password' dialog box in which one is supposed to enter the password. I did this and it connected.

It would have been really helpful if the digital owners' manual had explained this but all it says is, "Select the desired network, enter the password and connect."

However the car still doesn't see my normal wifi account, only the guest one, and still doesn't see my iPhone hotspot. And the Volvo Cars app hasn't managed to connect to the car for several days.
Old May 31st, 2024, 13:08   #10
ma42

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwf15 View Post
Two issues
My 2023 xc60 has previously connected to my home wifi......now it doesnt even list it....
I tried connecting to my phones wifi hot-spot which it found but then wouldn't allow me to enter the password (no box appeared)
I have reset the TCAM (hold front defroster button) and also restarted the whole infotainment (hold middle button) to no avail
Ideas.....
Hi,
I had this problem using a FritzBox 7170 and solved the problem by turning off Storage (NAS) function and the Media Server and my V60 connected OK. Changed to have the same SSID for both frequencies and again all OK.

There were other solutions that you can see at https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=333174
ma42 is offline   Reply With Quote