Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1988 245 GLT

Views : 1195

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 29th, 2004, 09:41   #1
robl850

I am looking for a 200 series to mess about with and I have seen a 1988 E plate 245 GLT at a local garage, but I know that it has been sitting on their forecourt for 6 (yes six) years. Any suggestions as to what I should be looking at / asking about a car that has sat still for that long.

It look pretty good bodywise (though is under a layer of dirt that smoudges off quite easily) and is showing 133k on the clock but I have not yet got into it as there is never anyone there when I go !

Any advice gratefully received

Rob

1996 855SE 2.5 20v
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 23:14   #2
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default RE: 1988 245 GLT

Offer them £100 as is and relieve them of the space on their forecourt, providing that it only needs a battery to get it going.

All the best, Peter
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 22:38   #3
vjck_uk
Premier member

If you are thinking of driving or towing it away then have a good look at the tyres first as the tend to rot at the spot where they are on the floor.
Also check the brakes before moving it too far,if the engine is'nt running the brake pedal will be like a brick.
You may also find the clutch rusted up,ie won't release when the pedal is pressed.
vjck_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 08:46   #4
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Peter's suggestion is good. If they can start it up and move it about then you haven't much to lose by taking it as is.
You have the problem of getting it home legally. If they are near maybe they would drop it round for you?
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 22:11   #5
robl850

Thanks for all the advice re this.

I went to look at it Wednesday afternoon and we jump started it off a jeep he had lying around. Went on the second go and we moved it round his yard. Clutch, brakes etc all seemed to work ok but once I stalled it the brake pedal was like a brick, as I had been advised it would be. Tyres were pumped up and seemed OK. All the electrics worked except the front wipers (rear one was OK) and it had a FSH.

It all seems OK, he said that the main problem he has had with it is that it blew it's head gasket. He says he has had it all sorted and everything certainly looked OK. He has re-priced it to £995 (it was £1995) but I still think this is to much, I test drove a 245GLE auto this morning (86 D plate) and the Skoda main agent selling it only wanted £795 (and he would chuck in a MOT and 6 months tax). Am off on holiday on Monday for two weeks so will have a little think, if it still there when I get back I will have another look.

Rob

96 855 SE 2.5 20v (which sailed through it's MOT today !)
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 22:26   #6
Ben O Brien

Hi,

To be honest the GLT is only worth a max of £500 with a new ticket,

If i were you id offer £500 for the GLE you saw providing its in good nick-check that tailgate!! :-)

Cars like these are ten a dozen these days, have you looked on ebay? £500 would buy you a nice car on ebay, if you were prepared to do a bit of work to it as most 240's i have seen on ebay for that money do generally need a few bits here and there,

If you are not in a rush look for something like a GLE or a GLT, yoi will be a long time finding and fitting leather and electrics to a GL (from experience!) best to start with what you want than try to make a GL something its not,

Just my tuppence worth!!

*WTD: Rare 240/242 Parts, please pm if you have anything*
Ben O Brien is offline   Reply With Quote