Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Annoying Fan Noise

Views : 1194

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 5th, 2007, 06:14   #1
xjamesx

Default Annoying Fan Noise

My wife has a 1987 240 GL. for the last year or so the a/c - heater fan has made a horrible noise unless it is turned all the way too high. i took the sides of the center console off and investigated it and the fan assembly looked liked it was a white "tube" looking thing. It looked complicated to have to replace.
any suggestions on how to eliminate this noise? is this common at all?
also, after using the blinkers, left or right, the flasher button keeps clicking even after the turn signal is cancelled. so i make the turn and the flasher indicator light goes off but the "hazard" button on the center console keeps clicking for a while after at random speeds. Any suggestions? i saw that it is expensive or hard to replace this button but i just wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas or if this also was common at all....
thanks for your time,
James
xjamesx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 08:22   #2
john h
VOC Member

Smile

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Afraid I can't help with your problems, but there are many people on here knowledgeable about 240s so I'm sure you'll get good advice.

John
john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 10:14   #3
morsing
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjamesx View Post
My wife has a 1987 240 GL. for the last year or so the a/c - heater fan has made a horrible noise unless it is turned all the way too high. i took the sides of the center console off and investigated it and the fan assembly looked liked it was a white "tube" looking thing. It looked complicated to have to replace.
Very, very complicated...

Quote:
any suggestions on how to eliminate this noise?
Replace the fan. It's a lot of work though so might be worth paying someone to do it.

Quote:
is this common at all?
Very common...

Quote:
also, after using the blinkers, left or right, the flasher button keeps clicking even after the turn signal is cancelled. so i make the turn and the flasher indicator light goes off but the "hazard" button on the center console keeps clicking for a while after at random speeds. Any suggestions? i saw that it is expensive or hard to replace this button but i just wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas or if this also was common at all....
thanks for your time,
James
Bad ground somewhere most likely, some leaking electricity keeps the relay going...

Hope that helps

Henrik
'70 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
'95 Saab 9000 CSE 2.0 Turbo Auto
morsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 02:31   #4
xjamesx

well, I took the whole dash apart today and replaced the fan motor. took me about 4 - 1/2 hours but it works perfect and that noise is gone. so i at least saved a bunch of cash by doing it myself. very tedious... thanks for the input, guys.

oh yeah i also used this as a guide, might be someone on this board?
http://cleanflametrap.com/

thanks again,
James
xjamesx is offline   Reply With Quote