Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Replacing Headlight Lens On A Volvo 240 - How? Please help

Views : 1288

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 16th, 2007, 19:08   #1
mememe

Default Replacing Headlight Lens On A Volvo 240 - How? Please help

Hello,

I would like to know, how do I replace the headlight lens on a volvo 240?
Is there any Scatch or a manual that can explain that?

I know that there's suppose to be a clip somewhere on the lens, that enables taking the lens off the headlight, but I can't find where it is.
Is the metal thing above the headlight supposed to be taken off before I can take it off?

Many Thanks
mememe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 19:23   #2
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

There are metal clips all round the glass holding it on (assuming it is a car built after 1981) It is easiest with the headlamp removed but usually the retai ning nuts are rusted and the bolt is held captive in the plastic and so turns as the plastic breaks.
The side by the grille can be got at by taking the grille off - removal of the top trim (2 screws) gives access to the top ones the bottom and outer ones can be flicked off with a screwdriver.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 19:34   #3
brens-s80
VOC Member

Default here's how

hi ,

Its worthwhile before starting to decide if you want to replace the internal reflectors as well if the old ones are discoloured. These can be bought from GSF and are cheap.

what you need to do is ,taking the passenger side as an easy one to start with. first remove the headlight wiper by pulling back the cover and undoing the nut.

There are as far as I recall 4 nuts that hold the headlight to the body on the inside of the car. Locate these and undo.

You can now remove whole headlight assy in one go. There are 2 clips on the top of the light and 2 on the bottom you can't miss them. using a flat screwdriver lift them up.

If you want to replace the reflectors use a small pliers and carefully bend the white retainers parallel to the slits before removing them.

The same procedure applies to the driver sides but you may decide to remove the battery first ( remember radio code )

Hope this helps you .

regards

Brendan
brens-s80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 20:00   #4
mememe

Thanks for the comments!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Brace View Post
There are metal clips all round the glass holding it on (assuming it is a car built after 1981) It is easiest with the headlamp removed but usually the retai ning nuts are rusted and the bolt is held captive in the plastic and so turns as the plastic breaks.
The side by the grille can be got at by taking the grille off - removal of the top trim (2 screws) gives access to the top ones the bottom and outer ones can be flicked off with a screwdriver.

Mike
How do you actually remove the top trim (metal?)?
As I noticed it is hung up in a certain way I couldn't much understand how it should come out...
Where are the 2 screws you mentioned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brens-s80 View Post
hi ,

Its worthwhile before starting to decide if you want to replace the internal reflectors as well if the old ones are discoloured. These can be bought from GSF and are cheap.

what you need to do is ,taking the passenger side as an easy one to start with. first remove the headlight wiper by pulling back the cover and undoing the nut.

There are as far as I recall 4 nuts that hold the headlight to the body on the inside of the car. Locate these and undo.

You can now remove whole headlight assy in one go. There are 2 clips on the top of the light and 2 on the bottom you can't miss them. using a flat screwdriver lift them up.

If you want to replace the reflectors use a small pliers and carefully bend the white retainers parallel to the slits before removing them.

The same procedure applies to the driver sides but you may decide to remove the battery first ( remember radio code )

Hope this helps you .

regards

Brendan
I actually want to try and clean both sides - the inside and the outside, I suspect that it became too dirty inside, besides the reflactor itself.

So if I understand correctly, when I remove the Headlight, The Metal trim above the headlight remains at its place?
it is not hung up on it?

If you could make it abit more clear how to do it, i'll be gladful, because as for now, I'm abit confused with the explanations.

Thank you very much. I really wait for comments
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 23:14   #5
Mozzer

Smile

Quote:
How do you actually remove the top trim (metal?)?
As I noticed it is hung up in a certain way I couldn't much understand how it should come out...
...<SNIP>...
Where are the 2 screws you mentioned?
If you could make it abit more clear how to do it, i'll be gladful, because as for now, I'm abit confused with the explanations.

Thank you very much. I really wait for comments
Hi Mememe,

Apologies, but this procedure is *so* simple and easy (I'm no mechanic but I did this very same thing withing 10 minutes of receiving my first Volvo 240)... that I *really* think you should seriously consider seeking some knowledgeable help! It's just that, this simple procedure is one of the reasons I *love* working on my 240 because I find everything is so EASY for what I consider to be a novice!
Consequently, if you are struggling even now I really do think that you should consider getting someone (anyone) else to help you - at least a little bit!

Apologies once agin if this seems condescending - it's just my opinion!

Kind regards,
Moz.
Mozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 23:22   #6
mememe

Hi,

Not offended - I just wanted to get a prespecitve on how to and where to look.
If it is not a problem, i'll be glad if you'll be able to sum up the proccess in a few steps.

Thanks again.
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 09:31   #7
chesters6
Master Member

how do you remove the two clips that are hidden by the plastic trim on the side without removing it? its screws (as are the "chrome" strip on top) are only revealed once the whole lamp is out?

do not use a cloth on the revealed reflector it scratches very easily as its on metal not behind glass.

i did mine the other day (never again!!! those bolts are pigs) and the lady in GSF didnt even know they sold them (the reflectors) and she's been there years! had the last one in stock but she says the computer says theres more in the main warehouse (maybe worth finding out if they'r still going to be listed after those are gone?)

you get 3 new reflector holding clips with the replacement but luckily with the use of a hair dryer i never broke any of the old ones so have 3 spare.but noticed the new glass holding clips arnt as strong as the old ones but used them anyway.

on reassembly the new bolts were sprayed with waxoyl so hopefully far easier next time.

i used the new seal for the glass but found the old one plumps back up in very hot water so is now a spare (tightwad me)

to remove the refector warm up the plastic clips in the 3 corners and get a pair of blunted long nose pliers and turn them using the flats on the clip towards the outside of the reflector untill the flats line up with the holes ,reassembly is the reverse using warmth again ,without warmth no doubt they snap easily

if you have to remove the whole lamp from the car good luck and make sure your neighbours windows are shut to stop them learning words they may have never heard before!
its secured by 3 bolts rusted solid and the drivers side top one a pig to get to ,i ended up cutting the nuts with a mini grinder and then glued in new ones rebuilding the plastic body as necessary .the fake chrome strip comes out with the lamp its screwed to it.
with hind sight "maybe" the drivers side upper one is easier to get to by removing the whole section the bonnet locks on (a few bolts) but not looking probably theres a bent bit of metal section left behind still hiding it cunningly designed to frustrate you

Last edited by chesters6; Nov 17th, 2007 at 09:52.
chesters6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 18:25   #8
Checkpoint Charlie

This same question asked by the same person on http://www.volvo-forums.com/t17582-r...vo-240-how.htm
Checkpoint Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 22:56   #9
chesters6
Master Member

but we were nice enough to answer

ps dont turn the large screws with the knurled plastic ends otherwise your lights will be out of alignment

Last edited by chesters6; Nov 17th, 2007 at 23:00.
chesters6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 12:59   #10
mememe

Thanks for the answer

You sure gave me some perspective on how to work this out.