Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Exhaust manifold replacement

Views : 1094

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 25th, 2004, 15:47   #1
yorkiepudd

Hi All

I have found that my recently purchased 850 Estate needs a new exhaust manifold (the earlier type with the braided flexi joint and has been "bodged" so that it looks like the later solid type to the untrained eye).

The dealers have told me the book time for this job is only 1.5 hrs (so it can't be that difficult) but for that labour they want £134 !!!!!!.

So 2 questions then...

1) Anyone done this before and is it as easy at it looks (I have never minded getting my hands mucky)

2) Nordic can save me £40 on the main agent price but the item they supply is dual purpose and needs a "blanking plug" making to block off the redundant EGR port that my car doesn't have (they are unable to supply one)- anyone know where I can get one / how easy it is to make one without any workshop facilities.

Cheers folks

Adrian
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 11:53   #2
daverob

I did this job to my (non turbo) 850 a year or two back. Took me four hours in total, this would have been reduced quite a bit if I hadn't had to remove half of the LPG conversion plumbing that was getting in the way of removing the manifold!

It is pretty straightforward, but the space is very limited. It took me about twenty minutes to work out which way I had to rotate the manifold to get it clear past the engine-bulkhead.

You will need the blanking plug no matter where you get the manifold from, I noticed this was missing when I bought mine from the local main dealer, and when asked they provided one free of charge (it was the least they could do as the manifold cost me best part of £300!), so it should be readily available.

You'll probably want to order new manifold to downpipe studs and nuts as well, as they were not included with the replacement manifold, and don't forget all of the gaskets.

Cheers,
Dave.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 16:32   #3
yorkiepudd

Thanks Dave

It looked pretty straight forward to me... just being a bit cautious I suppose. Fortunately I haven't got the hassle of a dual fuel car, so it should be much simpler.

Thanks for the advice about the manifold->downpipe studs, I never thought of that (even though it had occured to me that they may shear which would be a blessing in disguise probably) and there is nothing worse than having to break off at a critical moment, esp. when you haven't got a car to fetch them in!!!

Cheers

Ade
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 09:08   #4
yorkiepudd

Hi

Just to let anyone who may want to undertake the same task....

It was a doddle, certainly worth saving the £130+ labour bill. This was on a 2.5 non-turbo petrol model. Just undid the manifold to engine flange 1st along with the top engine stabiliser mounting, then jacked and supported the car and undid the 4 downpipe nuts (get new studs - I did and good job as 2 sheared off).

Then back up top and drop the manifold down a little and turn it thro' 90 degrees anti-clockwise and out it comes. Refitting was just the reverse... make sure that the studs/gasket are fitted to the downpipe end 1st, it makes it easier to align everything. Total time about 2 1/2 hours.

Thanks also must go to Speeds Volvo of Chesterfield for the parts and discount, it was worth the journey from Sheffield.

NB the manifold now supplied is a 'universal' EGR / non EGR type. (Also available from Nordic) and if you haven't got EGR you need a blanking plug (special order only!!!).... a mechanic at the dealers recommended a Volvo 400 sump plug.