Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

960/90: Ambient Temperature Display

Views : 2483

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 19th, 2008, 01:54   #1
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Default 960/90: Ambient Temperature Display

Hi,

I decided to take a bit of a risk this evening and attempt to change the bulb in the ambient temperature unit.

Having been advised by Rupert (V6 Man) that the dash had to come out (I suppose it does) and this required the very careful removal of the wood trim around all the switches on the dash. Great care as you can break the trim/cover. So, easy job then!

I decided to go the other way!!! Underneath!
Removed the cover to the drivers footwell and contorted myself into a position to be able to see the back of the instruments.
Actually, this position is a good one to be able to change many of the bulbs in the cluster, including main dial and warning bulbs...

I was after the ambient temp display though... This can be seen easily enough, from the footwell looking up it is to the right.
It is held in by a screw which you can see easily, but need a ratchet to remove easily.
Actually, I lie. It is actually held in position by two screws!!!
Having felt about the unit carefully with my fingers (as best could working in a restricted space area and upside down in the footwell and in the dark I cold not feel the screw on the far right of the unit. There wasn't really any space to put a screw driver of any sort on the far side either.
Wiggling back and forth eventually snapped the other retaining plastic "O" leaving the screw in place.

I also tried removing the bulb. Because of it's position you are unable to exert enough pressure and be able to twist the holder out as well.

Which prompted me to think:
What sort of design a$$holes does/did Volvo employ to have to remove half of your dash to be able to change a bulb?? Didn't these sort of things actually come to their minds when designing them?
They design a unit (optional) that screws into the instrument cluster that has a bulb. Bulbs blow on occasion. No, Really! So lets put the bulb on the top so it can't be changed EXCEPT by removing the cluster and all that involves??!!
Wucking Fankers!!!

Unplugged the unit and popped inside to change the bulb. Done.
Refitted, but with only one screw holding the unit in, but it does feel quite secure.
Works perfectly so I can now see how warm/cold it is outside...

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CTCNetwork For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 02:01   #2
Jim760
Mr G

i guess the 960 has meny more wires.. i have this unit in my 760..you can get your hand up and remove the bulb fairly easy.. its putting the bugger back in thats the pain i found! you have th support the unit and wriggle about till the bulb drops in place. sounds like you where a bit heavy handed des!
940 GL 850 GL 760 TIC V70 Torslanda
Jim760 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim760 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 02:27   #3
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim760 View Post
i guess the 960 has meny more wires.. i have this unit in my 760..you can get your hand up and remove the bulb fairly easy.. its putting the bugger back in thats the pain i found! you have th support the unit and wriggle about till the bulb drops in place. sounds like you where a bit heavy handed des!
Heavy handed? No, I spend a good 15 minuted trying to get a reasonable grip on the bulb but couldn't get enough hand (any, in fact!) above the unit to do so, let alone exert enough pressure to be able to twist the bulb out. Nor, indeed, was there any room to be able to turn my hand even had I got a good enough grip..
There is no room for play whatsoever up there...
Best I got was squeezing my index and middle finger together each side of the bulb - no grip that way at all.

Job done now anyway...

Des. . .
The Following User Says Thank You to CTCNetwork For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 03:46   #4
960 rookie

So I guess I can infer from you folks that to actually add an ambient temp display to a 960 that does not currently have one requires removal of the cluster, which also requires removal of the dash.....both of which sound like a large pain in the backside. Is that a fair statement? If so, I wonder if it's worth it...
960 rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 960 rookie For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 08:50   #5
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by 960 rookie View Post
So I guess I can infer from you folks that to actually add an ambient temp display to a 960 that does not currently have one requires removal of the cluster, which also requires removal of the dash.....both of which sound like a large pain in the backside. Is that a fair statement? If so, I wonder if it's worth it...
Don't have to remove the whole dash, what you need to be able to do is remove the instrument cluster.

However, if your 960/90 has that nice wood trim surrounding the switches then that has to come off (carefully, of course) to allow you to be able to pull out the cluster. Then fitting the display box to the cluster is easy (remove blanking plate, fit temperature display, do up the two screws and you're done)...

But I'd make sure the bulb is working before putting it all back!!!

Des. . .
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 09:23   #6
SashaG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 960 rookie View Post
So I guess I can infer from you folks that to actually add an ambient temp display to a 960 that does not currently have one requires removal of the cluster
Hi,
on my 940 I installed the temp display from underneath. And I didn't use that hidden screw, simply because there was no way I could use a screwdriver in there. But the display stays perfectly in place with juts one screw.

Cheers
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 20:00   #7
MTerry
Bored Member

It could be worse. A bulb went out in the climate control panel in my wife's POS GM minivan. We were told that the bulbs are integral to the unit, and to fix the bulb, the entire $350.00 unit had to be replaced. Two more have since gone out and we can't tell what the temp setting is at night. We were also told that the bulbs are integral to the switches ($55.00 apiece) as well, and also can't be changed. So several of them are out too. Difficult to reach is one thing, but impossible to change requires a level of stupidity that only Generally Mismanaged can achieve. There's a reason I only drive foreign cars. (The van was the wife's idea; I wanted a Honda.)
Gloria - '93 244 in Ruby Red Metallic
Sandy Blu - '07 C70, Celestial Blue
MTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MTerry For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 16:03   #8
nutco
Getting on a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasag View Post
Hi,
on my 940 I installed the temp display from underneath. And I didn't use that hidden screw, simply because there was no way I could use a screwdriver in there. But the display stays perfectly in place with juts one screw.

Cheers
I am about to install the temp gauge in my 97 940 did you manage to find the wire to connect the gauge to ok with the cluster left in, where was it located
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 16:34   #9
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutco View Post
I am about to install the temp gauge in my 97 940 did you manage to find the wire to connect the gauge to ok with the cluster left in, where was it located
If yo uhave it pre wired in the dash then you should see the connection wrapped in a "sponge" to sttop it rattling.
It has 2 x rows of connections of 4 if I remember.
I assume you also have the sensor itself to fit??

However, taking the dash out in the 940 is a fairly easy task, so you should be able to fir the display pretty easily....

Des. . .
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 22:09   #10
SashaG

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutco View Post
Hi,
in my case the connector was taped up pretty high behind the inst. cluster, had a hard time finding it. And the foam wrapped one was the one attached to the display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCNetwork View Post
However, taking the dash out in the 940 is a fairly easy task
Des, when you open the inst. cluster, do you have to take special care not to let any dust particles get caught on the gauges?
I really hated looking at that on my previous car... Can anyone recommend any stuff to wipe the gauges with?

Cheers,
Sasha