Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Intermitent diesel rattle

Views : 836

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 17th, 2008, 21:19   #1
smed

Default Intermitent diesel rattle

I have a V40, 2001, 97,000 miles. When on idle the engine runs fine for about a minute then rattles for 4-5 seconds then runs fine for another minute or so. Sounds like the oil presure drops off then squirts up some more oil and it goes. It's a sound like a load of tappets need adjusting, then its ok again. It drives fine. Does anyone have any ideas where to start looking. Thanks
smed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 19:46   #2
offset frontal

Why don't you push the brake pedal at idle a few times - if the 'rattle' goes - then its is brake pump actuation or servo supply or something related to it.

If not, then try and engine flush and different oil before you spend hunreds hunting around for an indeterminate fault.

It could of course also be a badly set belt or pulley.

My V70 tdi with only 100k up, has an idle rattle- but only when cold. So I thought oil and tappets etc. Volvo delaer wanted £500 quid to have the head off to check the tappets. But he never pumped the brake pedal at idle- which I did and revealed that the head does not need to come off. So I took it waya from them before they went any further.

Have you revved it up or bunged some kerosene thru it?
offset frontal is offline   Reply With Quote