Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

retrofit air con to 1991 B200F 245

Views : 1008

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 11th, 2005, 11:46   #1
chrisj

Default retrofit air con to 1991 B200F 245

Hi
I'm looking to try and retro-fit air conditioning to my 1991 245 with B200F engine. Does anyone know of any 240s that had air con in this country? Have seen description of the system in Haynes but believe this book was based on US models only?? Can you just get the air con system from a later 740/940 using the same engine? Presumably all B200F blocks would have the compressor mounting points built into them ready for fitting and whilst not simple would mean a relatively easy job of connecting electrics/compressor/heat exchanger etc. Mind you where would the drive come from for the belt to run the compressor?? Thanks very much - heat in the car with all the glass and no sunroof is unbearable in this weather!
Thanks in advance
Chris
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 13:27   #2
daveniel

Default RE: retrofit air con to 1991 B200F 245

forget it, it will cost you a fortune its just not economic on a fifteen year old smoker , buy a later model with aircon as standard
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 08:13   #3
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

I would agree with cost angle BUT if you really want to go this route I have an Italian lhd 240 with air con which could provide pics of what is involved - the hardest to get item is the heater but best source of air con would be off a 260 many of which had this fitted - I think I may have one with air con amongst my collection - but even if you had all the bits you needed it would cost quite a bit to get installed and up and running.

Mike
Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 12:33   #4
Matt 850 GLT

Hi

You need to be looking at an a/c system that runs on R134a, I am pretty sure most, if not all, 240's were set up to run a different more 'dangerous' gas.

I know some folks in the States have been able to convert thier 240 to run with a/c but there were many pipes to change.

There were some 240 models fitted with a/c, if you can find one, it would be a better bet to convert it to run in R134a rather than install one from scratch. There are some aftermarket set-ups which you could consider.

Good luck
Matt
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 16:14   #5
chrisj

Thanks everyone. Looked fairly easy from the Haynes and assumed just plumbed into the back of current heater/air vent system and thought if parts could be got from scrappie and fitted myself - only expense would be charging the system. Suppose chances of everything remaining undamaged would be small.
Chris