Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 Stalling

Views : 986

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 13th, 2006, 19:34   #1
steveall

Default D5 Stalling

Hi fellow volvo drivers can anyone offer me any advice. I got rid of my 240000 mile 760 turbo for a s60 d5 auto 3 months ago and have been plagued with stalling problems. sometimes its ok for several days then next day it will stall several times. sometimes when ticking over, sometimes when coming to a stop or taking off or more seriously when driving at various speeds which being an auto cuts the engine completelyleaving no brakes or steering. I love the car but its making me a nervous wreck when driving it, wondering when it will next stall and leave me stranded at a junction or outside lane of the motorway. Any help will be welcome, its been to Volvo who said they could find nothing wrong.
steveall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 20:34   #2
wsb_champ

see my post below "At idle - the engine rpm is not stable" - sounds the same as my problem, general opinion seems to point to the ETM, but my local main dealer seems to think a good clean of the ETM will suffice. Its nooked in for diagnostics on friday, will keep you informed
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 21:01   #3
steveall

thanks for you reply I don't think the D5 has the same ETM problems as the petrol and my tickover is rock steady it just stops dead without warning.good luck with your diagnostic
steveall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 23:20   #4
Viper_7
Premier Member

Aye, the D5's arn't affected by the "faulty" ETM.
Very unusual for disel's to stall both at idle and when moving.
I'd be looking at a possible injector/fuel supply problem.
Viper_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 23:40   #5
S60-MBS
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveall
Hi fellow volvo drivers can anyone offer me any advice. I got rid of my 240000 mile 760 turbo for a s60 d5 auto 3 months ago and have been plagued with stalling problems. sometimes its ok for several days then next day it will stall several times. sometimes when ticking over, sometimes when coming to a stop or taking off or more seriously when driving at various speeds which being an auto cuts the engine completelyleaving no brakes or steering. I love the car but its making me a nervous wreck when driving it, wondering when it will next stall and leave me stranded at a junction or outside lane of the motorway. Any help will be welcome, its been to Volvo who said they could find nothing wrong.
my s60 D5 had afew stalling issues about 8 months ago main stealers couldnt find anything wrong with it..since i started using better quality fuels ie BP/Shell the car hasnt stalled unless i was at fault which is a majority of the time...the ETM issues definitly do not effect the diesels..
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 22:19   #6
portacabin1
portacabin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveall View Post
I had the very same problem with mine, it would run along great at high speeds, 80 mph and above, but driving normal at around 2000 rpm it would just die with no warning or apparent reason, it became a white nuckle ride. With this web site i found help and talked my local dealer in coventry into reprograming my ecu, they insisted that they code read it, and i said no! just reprogram the ecu please. They did at a price of £65.00 and my problem was solved. Sadly i have another problem now, that is it drops of power when i try to accelarate. Help!!!!!!
portacabin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 22:35   #7
S60-MBS
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by portacabin1 View Post
I had the very same problem with mine, it would run along great at high speeds, 80 mph and above, but driving normal at around 2000 rpm it would just die with no warning or apparent reason, it became a white nuckle ride. With this web site i found help and talked my local dealer in coventry into reprograming my ecu, they insisted that they code read it, and i said no! just reprogram the ecu please. They did at a price of £65.00 and my problem was solved. Sadly i have another problem now, that is it drops of power when i try to accelarate. Help!!!!!!
£65 to programme ECU wtf! you could have done it yourself by removing battery overnight car returns to factory settings.
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 22:44   #8
portacabin1
portacabin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60Driver View Post
£65 to programme ECU wtf! you could have done it yourself by removing battery overnight car returns to factory settings.
I guess i should say it had a upgrade and a master reset, im aware that disconecting the battery is one way of reseting a ecu, but volvo ecu,s are prone to electrical spikes. Anyway im very happy with the outcome, my car was deadly and unuseable.
However im now having problems when accelerating in first gear she drops of all power, but does not stall and leaves me momenterely stranded before full power comes on and all is well again, the warning lights all come on but as i say the engine keeps running, there are no codes stored and if i drive it hard its all ok. It has not happend above 10 mph only in first gear on pull away.

By for now.
portacabin1 is offline   Reply With Quote