Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 Engine temperature

Views : 888

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 17th, 2008, 16:02   #1
boggymarsh
XC70 2008 D5 SE

Default V70 Engine temperature

I haven't been on here for ages as, touch wood, our car has been trouble free. With the weather getting a wee bit cooler now the heater is being used, especially on journey first thing in the morning.
Both my wife and I have noticed that it is taking an eternity for any reasonable heat to come through the vents and for the temperature gauge to move off from its resting point. On a journey last week when I had the car I had travelled over 6 miles before I could get a reasonable heat in the car. This seems crazy for a car that was built in a place where the temperature gets a damn site colder than the UK!

Please can anybody help. Would I be right in suggesting that this is a thermostat problem in the engine cooling system? Are the thermostats easy enough to replace?

Thank you.
boggymarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 16:17   #2
oilburner
Volvo är stor!

I agree, sounds very much like the thermostat. Petrol or diesel, these are some of the fastest cars to heat up on the road, in my experience. Must be a Swedish thing.

If you're not confident with changing the thermostat (it is easy) check out the Haynes manual or an Indy should be able to do it quite cheaply as it won't take them long.

2019 V90 T4 (me) & 2017 Volvo XC60 D4 AWD (other half)
Gone but not forgotten: 2016 V60 CC AWD, 2015 V70 D4, 2005 S80 D5 and 2001 V70 2.4
oilburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 11:04   #3
Radarman

I have a V70 D5 (first oil burner) and it to takes about 5 miles to fully warm up. According to long time diesel engine owning chums, diesels do take longer to warm up due to their inherently more efficient (less waste heat) nature.
Radarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 18:52   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Thats true but latest diesels have their cooling system water way routing designed for quick warm up as it improves emmisions . The D5 and V50 2.0 D warm up quite fast ..
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 21:47   #5
Radarman

Define "quite fast". Is my 5 miles on a gentle throttle too far then? I do start to get warm air though after about 2 miles, but the temp gauge is not fully up till past 5 (ish) miles.
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 22:34   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

It depends on ambient temperature there is a big difference at 30 C and 0 C both of which we have in this country .
But on average time wise between 5 and 10 minutes , 5 minutes driving away briskly and 10 or under keeping the load and rpm down ..
A good test for the thermostat is drive a short distance until the temp gaugue is half way up to normal and stop with it idling and feel the top water hose at the radiator end , if its warm then the thermostat is leaking hot water away to the radiator ....
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 01:14   #7
Radarman

Thanks Clan. I reckon mine's about average.
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 10:38   #8
oilburner
Volvo är stor!

Mine sends warm air to the vents within 5 minutes and is fully warm within 15. That equates to 3-4 miles. Being an auto and keener to rev (especially) when cold, that might help matters too.

Don't be shy of revving the engine a bit when cold. I always found LJK Setrights rule of thumb handy: "keep revs to about 1/2 of maximum until engine fully warmed up". The auto sometimes goes a little beyond that pulling off from cold, but not by much.

2019 V90 T4 (me) & 2017 Volvo XC60 D4 AWD (other half)
Gone but not forgotten: 2016 V60 CC AWD, 2015 V70 D4, 2005 S80 D5 and 2001 V70 2.4
oilburner is offline   Reply With Quote