Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 TDI 1996 cold starting problem

Views : 1180

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 28th, 2008, 18:20   #1
wazocus

Default 850 TDI 1996 cold starting problem

Hi. I have just bought a volvo 850 tdi 170k miles 1996. In the morning (being cold) it turns over quickly but does not fire for about 20 seconds until it finally fires up. Once it has warmed up it starts fine and runs lovely. I have replaced the glowplugs and took it into a garage who said the glowplug system works fine. Does anyone have any ideas please??? Thank you!
wazocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 18:39   #2
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazocus View Post
Hi. I have just bought a volvo 850 tdi 170k miles 1996. In the morning (being cold) it turns over quickly but does not fire for about 20 seconds until it finally fires up. Once it has warmed up it starts fine and runs lovely. I have replaced the glowplugs and took it into a garage who said the glowplug system works fine. Does anyone have any ideas please??? Thank you!
i would check all vac pipes and intercooler pipes, also this car has an issue with the dynamic pump timing if its out of the set parrameters you will have hot and cold start issues. this test can only be done with the engine running and hooked up to the volvo scan tool or indi or volfcr or a good bosch diesel garage.
hope that helps.
mike

ps you may have not needed to change your glow plugs
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 22:42   #3
DarrenK
Jävla Volvo Förare!

Do you get any white smoke from the exhaust and a reek when turning over?

Keep an eye on your top engine mount bushing as I managed to sheer mine turning over all the time with a similar problem...
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 09:16   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

if you are sure the glow plugs ARE working ( they only work below 5 degrees C ) then its possible the compressions are low ...
Old Nov 30th, 2008, 11:58   #5
wazocus

Default white smoke

Thanks for your help. It does seem to puff out a lot of white smoke when you start it up in the morning. What does this mean please?
Old Nov 30th, 2008, 12:10   #6
wazocus

Default battery for cold start

.....also as it takes ages to start it in the morning the battery goes flat so i was going to put the biggest battery i could on it (800amp) to help it in the morning. I hope thats a good idea....
Old Nov 30th, 2008, 16:30   #7
DarrenK
Jävla Volvo Förare!

I had this problem with my 855 and still do, sort of. My mechanic told me it was the glow plug rely and I managed to source a second hand one which I'm lead to believe was in good condition. He fitted the relay and the car was fine for several days. After a couple of days firing up without a problem I was back to square one.

Now I just turn on the ignition, wait 5 seconds after the heater light goes out, foot to the floor and fire it up. It starts, but if I try to start it any other way it'll just keep turning over and throwing out white smoke. It's not ideal though, as it's having an effect on my top engine mount bushing, again. I read somewhere that the injectors might need cleaning but couldn't find any more information there-after, plus I'm really not at all mechanically minded.
Old Nov 30th, 2008, 17:22   #8
wazocus

Thanks for your help. Any information / tips are a good thing.