Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

360 not fuelling. Help please.

Views : 563

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 29th, 2008, 19:11   #1
OapEM

Default 360 not fuelling. Help please.

Hopefully one of you pro's will be able to solve the problems I am having with my newly acquired 360 GLS 2.0 carb.

I am certain that the mechanical fuel pump has given up the ghost. It sucks fuel up to about 3" from the pump and then it won't go any further.

It broke down on me this morning, after taking an age to start and needing a jump, when it did fire up it wasn't happy idling and stalled a few times before I persuaded it to stay alive. It also chugged a bit on the motorway yesterday, fuel starvation? Today two miles down the road it began chugging, I pulled over and it died. Fired it back up and it wasn't idling - just cut out straight away. A mate took me for a fivers of petrol - I assumed this was the cause, because the light was flashing, even though there's loads of fuel in it...

It still wouldn't idle after the fuel was put in, then the battery was dying so we removed the pump to take apart and inspect to see if we could find the problem.

It was pretty gunked up inside, the gauze was choked up too, we cleaned it up with carb cleaner and petrol and put it back together.

Refitted to the car with new DIY gaskets, then the car would not even attempt to fire :S (maybe as it now had zero fuel in the pump?) It got close a couple of times but still was only drawing the fuel to about 3" from the pump then stopping. My mate sucked it through then quickly put the feed pipe back on and I tried starting it but the fuel just ran straight back down the pipe.

Called out the AA and he used a suction pump thing and it pulled it through no bother, so seems the pump is definitely at fault?
We were also wondering whether the gaskets were possibly spacing the pump away from the cam lobe so it wasn't making (good) contact, but they are basically the same size as the originals.

Tomorrows plan is remove the lines and blow through with compressor, as suggested on here in another post and by AA bloke. It has no inline filter (will get one ASAP) I also cannot get another pump until Tues/Weds but will order one.

The crap thing is, the lever on the pump that runs off the cam would stiffen up after 10/12 pumps before we stripped and cleaned it, and after that it was fine and seemed to have decent suction/blowing capabilities, but maybe not good enough!

Sorry for the essay, but just wanting to let everyone know the score.

Any help is appreciated!

Do you think it's as simple as the pump being on it's last legs and hasn't the power to draw the fuel far enough through?

Cheers, Liam.
OapEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 02:38   #2
OapEM

Sorted. new fuel pump FTW.
OapEM is offline   Reply With Quote