Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

CD player

Views : 1241

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 5th, 2005, 11:12   #11
cjboddy
cjboddy

Default RE: Save hassle, time and money with MP3s!

Alternative ..... I have a 30gb creative mp3 (£150) player that will connect to either of my car stereo's and is portable to the extent it fits in my trouser pocket. It's currently holding 230 albums with less than half it's capacity used !

All my cd's are boxed up and in the attic.

Craig.
cjboddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 12:56   #12
DLM48
Master Member

OK i will buy that so how do you get the Volvo radio to play MP3's
I have a Sony radio/cd/mp3 player in my MR2 do i need to buy one of them for the Volvo now :-( and then have lots of fun :-( connecting it to the Volvo audio wiring harness.

have you got a picture of your set up perchance?

thanks in anticipation

David
DLM48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 13:28   #13
scormie

>OK i will buy that so how do you get the Volvo radio to play
>MP3's
>I have a Sony radio/cd/mp3 player in my MR2 do i need to buy
>one of them for the Volvo now :-( and then have lots of fun
>:-( connecting it to the Volvo audio wiring harness.
>
>have you got a picture of your set up perchance?
>
>thanks in anticipation
>
>David

Well, I only had a CR-708 tape player in the car before, so swapping it out for a CD player had to be done anyway ;-)

I'm not well up on which Volvo CD players are MP3-compatible (presumably your dealer will know), but even if you do need to replace yours with another unit, it will still be at substantially less cost than installing a CD changer. I got a perfectly acceptable JVC head unit in the sales just after Xmas last year for £70 (originally priced £140).

There was a ready made adapter harness available for the 6-speaker setup in my car (http://digitalsounddirect.co.uk/shop...s_id/1063.html), as there will be for most if not all Volvo models, so installation really was just 'plug and play'.

In terms of getting the MP3s onto a CD in the first place (which possibly was the gist of your question), I use a free program called CDex, which is widely available on the Internet, to generate the MP3s from my CDs in the first instance, and then to arrange them and burn them on a CD-R, Nero Express, which includes a nifty little MP3 disc maker. I've found both applications user-friendly.

One handy feature of the JVC player (and this is probably the case with other models from other manufacturers) is that if the MP3s are grouped on the CD-R in separate folders album-by-album, and the folders numbered 01, 02, etc, then you can use the number keys on the player to jump straight to a particular album.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 01:06   #14
DLM48
Master Member

i can handle the conversion from CD to MP3 easy peasy remember i have a Sony CD/MP3 radio in my MR2

sadly i have just bought a new double din radio and i have two volvo CD players so i really dont think i want to start all over again

i have to say i like to look of the volvo double din unit - most of the modern CD/MP3 players are just a bit too bright and sparkly to look the part in the volvo - just my view of course

i believe i can get a 6/12 CD/MP3 remote player - now i might be into that

i suppose i need to go visit Halfords or a decent car audio shop to see what i can do with my DD Volvo unit OWELL.

or do a google maybe

V70 Classic 2.4 20V sold on VoS FB page in a few hours
Present - C70 2.4 SE GearTronic - V70R AWD Prins II LPG 2.5 GearTronic
DLM48 is offline   Reply With Quote