Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ipod in C70

Views : 920

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 4th, 2005, 18:51   #1
the_player

Default ipod in C70

Has anybody managed to do this ? I am thinking of buying an iPod but can't seem to find a definitive answer as to whether I can buy an adapter for an SC-901 headunit.

I have seen a few items from the states that are supposed to sort this, but is there anything available in the UK ???

Thanks

Ben.
the_player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 19:08   #2
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

Default RE: ipod in C70

As I understand it the Volvo IPOD adaptor is for the HU series.
Paul Wildsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 19:26   #3
SG

I've done it using a Dension iceLink (Alpine version) and a Soundgate box that converts the SC901 CD protocol to Alpine m-bus.

If you do a forum search, you'll turn up a few options. Another member here put together a comprehensive list of what's available.
SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 10:20   #4
the_player

Can you get this in the UK though ?
the_player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 12:08   #5
SG

The Dension stuff is readily available in the UK.

I got the Soundgate part through a UK retailer who now appears to have ceased trading, but I did check with Soundgate at the time and they were willing to ship direct to the UK.
SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 14:34   #6
Simon J
Premier Member

I did a bit of research on this a few months ago - you'll find the conclusions here
http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/dc/dcboa...ng_type=search

Since then I have been in touch with Neo Car Audio in the US (www.neocaraudio.com) and they have just last week confirmed to me that they now have a version of their Neo iON (using a USA Spec adapter I think) that they are certain works with the SC series head units in the C70. The cost is $199 plus about $30 for mailing it to the UK, plus 17.5% VAT. There may be a modest level of import duty (less than 5%) but it is likely to be less than the £7 minimum so it would be waived.

The problem you will find is that when you check vehicle compatibility, all car audio web sites assume that a post 2000 Volvo of whatever type has the HU head units which use fibre optics whereas the C70 still uses the old SC series.

In terms of fitting the iPod in a C70, I have come to the conclusion that the best way to do it is to install it in the storage box under the armrest. The Neo iON allows all the normal click wheel controls on the iPod to continue to operate and that way you can pick your music and then leave the unit out of sight as the Neo iON will switch it off when the car radio is turned off. I believe, but haven't yet had it confirmed, that switching to a CD (whatever that is!) or the radio will also switch the iPod off.

I am currently using my iPod in my office Ford Mondeo and have it installed in a Belkin dock that sits in the cup holder. While it's convenient to access it, it does mean you have to unhook it and stow it all away every time you park the car.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 19:30   #7
Simon J
Premier Member

Things seem to have moved on since I did my research back in September and some further digging reveals that there is a revised USA Spec iPod adapter PA11-HON (see http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=852) that fits the SC series head units and which can be set to give full control from the iPod as well as track up/down fast forward/back via the head unit controls. The installation manual also says that the iPod pauses if the radio, cassette or CD player is selected on the head unit. Sounds perfect!

The price is $113 plus $27 for the Volvo cable plus approx $45 for airmail post, say about £110. Import duty should be less than £7 and would thus be waived, but VAT would add a further £20, (plus the £4 to the Post Office for collecting the VAT), say around £135 all in. Pretty good methinks!