Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1996 850 T5 ABS fault, strange.

Views : 937

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 18:07   #1
jizm

I have done a search on this and used the knowledge gained to try and sort this out but to no avail. here are the symptoms:

The ABS light only comes on under hard or aggressive acceleration but never under braking or if the car is driven normally. It started a few weeks ago and as long as the car is driven normally it is fine. I have tried swapping ECU’s with a friends 96 T5 due to the notorious dry joint fault on the pins inside the ECU, when I did this I could see mine had already had the repair. The new ECU made no difference. The sensors have been checked with a meter and the front nearside one replaced, again no difference. The only OBDII tool I have will not communicate with Volvos so was of no help when I left the light on and plugged it in. The light resets whenever I start the car. Wierd one this I know, any ideas? thanks in advance.
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 00:27   #2
bigandquick
Premier Member

Default RE: 1996 850 T5 ABS fault, strange.

Yes, here's an idea. Turn off the TRACS system and try your harsh acceleration again. Does the ABS light still illuminate?
Unlike other more refined systems, the TRACS on the 850 does not control wheelspin by reducing power to the wheels, rather by utilising the ABS system to slow the wheelspin, or that's what I've been led to believe. That's why the TRACS system on them is not particularly effective. Chance now to test the theory.
So if the ABS light doesn't illuminate when the TRACS is off, chances are that is what is causing it. That said, the ABS light shouldn't come on during wheelspin, so there probably is a problem of some sort in the ABS side of things.

'16 XC60 SE Lux Nav
bigandquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 09:16   #3
jizm

thanks tim but the car does not have TRACS!
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 20:03   #4
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Suggest checking the each of gear-shaped sensor rotors and the sensor elements for dirt and to make sure the fixings are secure.

If that fails look for a crack in the rotor this may allow the rotor to move on the shaft and give false speed readings to the ABS ECU.

It would make it easier to have any fault codes read first, you can get a fault code reader here:

http://www.onboarddiagnostics.co.uk/volfcr/index.htm
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 08:43   #5
jizm

thanks ,will do.
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 16:57   #6
jizm

Just thought I would let you all know what the fault was in the end. It was the brake fluid pressure sensor mounted in the underside of the servo. Wierd one and the garage had never had that before. Took them a while to find and the only way to recreate the fault was to drive the car so a bit of a pain int he a**e!