Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Misc 460 issues

Views : 1938

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2009, 16:31   #21
B20F
Master Member

You should test the fuel pressure. Could be that the pressure regulator is bad.
The fuel pressure of a B20F should be 300kPa. Or the fuel return hose to the tank is blocked. You can check that one by disconnecting it and try to blow through it. Should go easy. If the pressure is too high the injectors will inject too much fuel.
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 19:42   #22
bvs
Blue TD

Quote:
Originally Posted by veegard View Post
Hey there, bvs!
It has only happened three times, and it it has always been just fine the next time I drive it!
So.. I haven't really thought about it lately, and haven't jacked it up to check. If it happens again, I'll go check. Until then, I'm just worrying about the fuel consumption in the meanwhile >_>
Hi VG
When you have time,you could remove wheel,remove brake pads and clean up caliper in the areas adjacent to the pad,rust can build up around the pads and prevent them moving back (brakes off) and cause brake binding on that side.
A damaged disc/pads can also cause this !

regards baz
bvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 16:28   #23
veegard

Thanks to both of you!
B20F, I've never disconnected a fuel line before.. As long as the main fuel system relay is off (just having the ignition turned off), there shouldn't be too much pressure there, right? I think I remember reading a post here, or over at volvo-forums about how you can lower the pressure.. Disconnecting the so the pump stops while running, was it? And is that hazardous to the engine, or would it just choke and die?
How do I measure the pressure there, do I have to fit a gauge?

Also, breaking news, the diagnostics box gave me errors toda, after I've driven it home from work!
My first symptom today is that I checked the odometer compared to fuel gauge. About 45% fuel left on the gauge, and about 210km driven. That means a lovely 35 l / 210 km. This car should run on 8l / 100 km, mine uses about 17l / 100km :|

My unit told me the following:
1-3-2 : INCORRECT BATTERY VOLTAGE
and
3-1-3 : CHARCOAL CANISTER SIGNAL FAULTY

The incorrect battery voltage thing may indicate a bad alternator? Which voltage should I have when the car is running, and does it take time until that voltage is acheived, during i.e. cold weather?
How long should my stereo (a normal cd player, and two front speakers powered by a nice Genesis amplifier in the back) be able to play without me having to switch on the alternator? Had to jump it after half an hour once.. Battery is brand new 62a/h.
Charcoal canisters are the canisters that will catch evaporating gas, so there won't be excessive fumes from the engine bay, right?
Like on old cars from the 50's, when they stop at stoplights, they have this fume smoke in front of the car.
Now, I don't have that, but I can sometimes smell something like gasoline when i go out of the car when I park it. I don't know where this canister is, and if it's possible that it's leaking through it.. Does someone have more information about these?
veegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 18:37   #24
B20F
Master Member

The charcoal cannister is fitted behind the right fender, with 2 fuel hoses attached to it and a valve. You can check the valve by listening to it. Put the probe from the dia box in socket 2. Put the contact on, press the small button from the dia box 3 times with 0,5 interval. This will start a complete test of the fuel system. The first sequence is the test for the injectors, they will click 13times per second(13hertz), then the idle valve will click with 1 hertz, then the charcoal cannister valve will click with 2 hertz.
You can test the alternator by taking a multimeter, set it on 20volt and connect it to the battery, with the engine idling the multimeter should read around 13,8 volts. If it's lower than 13 volts the alternator is on it's way out.
To measure the fuelpressure go to a garage, they can do it for you, a pressure gauge is needed. The fuelhoses can you just remove, be prepared to some fuel loose, have a towel at hand to catch excessive spill. Wait till engine is cold and disconnect the earth lead from the battery before working on the fuel system!
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 23:33   #25
veegard

You came to my rescue again!
The voltage is usually fine.. and says 13.8v.
But I have a voltmeter/thermometer under my dash, but it was a mate that hooked it up for me when we were working on the car when I just got it.. Maybe he has it wired to something that has a load, because sometimes it will dip down a couple of volts, and very oftenly it will start giving me voltage alerts, because it says it dips under 11.5volts.
Alternator belt isn't loose, and I've rewired the engine compartment with much better cabling from alternator to battery, battery to gnd, and battery to stereo.
How exactly do they test the pressure in a shop? Cheapest mechanics here are 60£ an hour atleast, volvo charges 90£. If I can get a fuel pressure gauge for 20, then maybe i can just fit it myself.. or is that a bad idea?

I didn't know the diagnostics thing there! I just knew the pressing for 1-3 seconds and retrieve the error codes part, and the clearing of them.

Do you know how a broken canister will effect my car?
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 09:24   #26
B20F
Master Member

Quote:
But I have a voltmeter/thermometer under my dash,
Those volvo amp gauges are notorious inaccurate, trust your multimeter. It's a nice gadget, no more then that!
Volvo uses a special pressure gauge. Maybe you can go to a diy garage or a general garage. They are usally a lot cheaper. Or go to a scrapyard and get another one, and see what happens. That way will be cheaper. The pressure regulator is located on the end of the fuel rail. Be sure to get one for a 2ltr, 3.0bar. The turbo''s have a 3.5 bar, maybe a PO put a turbo regulator in? be very carefull when removing fuel lines, work clean so no dirt can enter the hoses! And always disconnect the earth strap from the battery to prevent sparking.
I''m not sure in which way a broken cannister valve will infect fuel consumption, can't help you with that one.
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 18:03   #27
veegard

Ah, no it's some aftemarked stuff I added in. But not sure if I trust it's readings.
I can give them a call and ask nicely.. maybe they'll help out, since it's an old car and they probably won't get much money out of me anyway.
They are usually a lot more helpful when it comes to older cars.. if you have a '03 V70 they suck you dry.