Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

440td screwing up the pump

Views : 921

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 17th, 2009, 22:36   #1
carl4u44
Master Member

Default 440td screwing up the pump

Done a bit of research and it seems that they (r19dt) are very similar to the tuning of a 306 d turbo. The 440 or 460 td engine consists of a lucas fuel pump (lucas cav) I believe, and a garret kkk? turbo. Anyone else dared to do this?

Firstly this week im planning on installing a boost guage (TIM 2 BAR) which looks really nice as its got the green old skool dial to it, almost matching the guages found in the 480 turbos and so on...then I can start to tinker and uprate the fueling and boost without causing too much black smoke..

p.s. I have all the instruction on how to do this but jus looking to see if anyone else has ventured this far on their 400 series dturbo

Last edited by carl4u44; Mar 17th, 2009 at 22:45.
carl4u44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 10:49   #2
PAZ3154
Glad to be back

just be careful to only adjust the fuel enrichment a very small amount at a time,and then roadtest to check for smoke. the general idea with these is adjust until you get black smoke when labouring the engine then back off the screw a bit. problem with the lucas pumps is the faffing about removing the anti tamper screw each time you need to adjust. it's a lot easier on bosch pumps. I wouldn't bother adjusting the boost compensator much either as it makes very little if any difference in power.the boost should be adjusted up to 15psi (just over 1 bar) with the standard intercooler. any more and an uprated cooler will be needed or the air will be too hot and will actually lose you power.
there isn't an awful lot more power to be gained out of these engines in my experience to be honest. it all depends on how worn or out of adjustment things are.
PAZ3154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 22:23   #3
carl4u44
Master Member

Let me tell you big lad, she has 200,000 miles on her and still runs like a swiss watch. Just thought as being the new careful owner, I may adjust the settings a little to give it a new lease of life! Yea your right tho, don't think there is much to be gained and i understand the anti tamper seal coming on and off is a bit of a pain...plus its full of fuel too. Tho I wouldn't mind a larger inter cooler as there's space in front of the rad or behind the grill for a nice 'twin pass' cooler. Is the standard cooler the same as a Renault 5 turbo? It does look the same..cheers,Carl
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 00:11   #4
Chesh740R
Turbobricker

Have you decatted it?? That will add some added ooomph to the car.
Chesh740R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 07:47   #5
carl4u44
Master Member

Too much noise from a decatted deisel dont you think?? sounds too much like a tractor and am a quiet guy lol Tho I have noticed the air box on these runs directly to the blower. Maybe a good spooling sound with a air cone and a decat??? of course leave the silencer on which will keep it quiet...