Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rain Repellents

Views : 1800

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 12:30   #11
Flanaia1

Exclamation Beware meths & Rain Ex

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFella View Post
The ONLY other product i'd use on my windows to clean them is methilated spirits. Alcohol based really gets rid of greesy grime.
Reacts really badly with Rain Ex though and causes intense smearing
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 13:52   #12
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Assuming I ever get the windscreen clean and then apply the repellent, do you have to follow any particular method for cleaning the windows in future? At the moment I wash the windows using the same water as the rest of the car. Will this strip the repellent meaning I have to re-apply it or should this last through many washes?

My mum has a coating on her car which means she should only hose her car down, not actually wash it with a sponge and car shampoo. Do the same rules apply here? I can see nothing on the bottle instructions which give any advice for this.
Harvey1512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 15:23   #13
Flanaia1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1512 View Post
Assuming I ever get the windscreen clean and then apply the repellent, do you have to follow any particular method for cleaning the windows in future? At the moment I wash the windows using the same water as the rest of the car. Will this strip the repellent meaning I have to re-apply it or should this last through many washes?

My mum has a coating on her car which means she should only hose her car down, not actually wash it with a sponge and car shampoo. Do the same rules apply here? I can see nothing on the bottle instructions which give any advice for this.
Not that I'm aware of I just use the normal wash n wax stuff, Mequiars In my case. Never had a problem.

Think the paint coating you are refering to is the diamondbrite protection stuff, where you are only supposed to hose it down or use their additive to stop it removing the coating

Hope that helps
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 15:38   #14
kev240
Master Member

Smile

Halfords own brand came out tops on the Auto Express test either last year or the year previous, I have always used it since, and find it better than the original Rain Ex that I used to use.
Kevin.
kev240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 03:00   #15
Goodfella

the best one to use and well used in the detailing circle is http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/engine.../prod_348.html

hope its ok to post the link
any advice on waxs sealents clay etc more then happy to help
Goodfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 07:53   #16
cam
Premier Member

i have a lot of trouble with smearing after using any window cleaner/rain repeller etc,i think its because my windscreen is worn (scratches/little chips)
the only long lasting result i get is hot soapy water but thats only for a few days,my mate had a new windscreen fitted to his bmw and he used rainwizard? i think
(like a pink sextoy to look at) he hardly used the wipers as the rain just blew off at speed,maybe i need a new screen,all best,cam.
cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 12:11   #17
HeliFella

You're right, Rain Wizard came in the Pink "toy" applicator. I still have mine, should have seen my wife's face when I whipped it out!!

If you are having a smearing issue try some of this screenwash too.

http://www.autobestbuy.co.uk/shop/pr...--PT_ID-78.asp

Best i've come across, plus you get a pleasant lemon whiff through the vents.

HeliFella (Member of I.A.M.)
*2009 V50 D5 R-Design Sport*
...At Last... Definately worth the wait!

Last edited by HeliFella; Apr 9th, 2009 at 12:18.
HeliFella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HeliFella For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 13:32   #18
Gel

Lightbulb Rain

Personally I use Auto Glym windscreen polish, and that appears to have some rain deflecting characteristics after application for some weeks.

3 for 2 at Halfords I see.

Last edited by Gel; Apr 9th, 2009 at 13:35.
Gel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 08:38   #19
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Thanks for all of the advice. I went to my local car supplies shop and they only had the Turtle Wax version. No problem, they are a reputable make so I bought that for £4.99. I cleaned the windows with washing up liquid/water but then instantly rinsed them down with plain water and the dried them quickly with some scrap material I had at work. This all worked really well and also meant the paintwork was safe.

The repellent was incredibly simple to apply and I have to say that my windows have never looked so gleaming afterwards. I applied them to all of the windows except the front windscreen. I did not scrimp on the liquid but I still have 80% of the bottle left.

Over the last few days we went down from Newcastle to Chester and back, going through the Lake District. Inevitably it rained both times going through the Lakes so it was a good test. It works in a very similar way to waxing your car. It doesn't stop rain landing but it does bead the rain and it simply rolls off. This does not happen at low speed but once you get above 40mph the rain just simply rolls off the windows and the glass becomes completely clear. It is quite freaky and you have to be careful that you do not get obsessed by following the rain beading off the glass, it is quite hypnotic.

I was very pleased with the results and would recommend this or a similar product, it does clear your vision massively when driving through the wet. What I don't know is how long a coating will last but if I can get 3 months out of each application then I would be pretty happy. Less than that and it may not be worthwhile.

I will take on the advice about the Autoglym glass cleaner. The other windows being so immaculate has shown up the inside and outside of the front windscreen and every domestic glass cleaner I have tried has created more smears than they clean.
Harvey1512 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harvey1512 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 12:29   #20
steadvex
Master Member

had a vectra hatchback before my volvo, and one thing thats bugged me is the saloon has no rear wiper, and the small loading space, but, now i realise i can at least do something to help with the rear wiper problem!

cheers!
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote