Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 headlight misting

Views : 3166

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 7th, 2008, 18:20   #1
alfiembra

Default S40 headlight misting

Just spent an interesting hour debating headlights misting up with the service manager at my local dealer.

I put my car in to get the headlight alignment checked last friday. They also noted a bulb wasn't seated correctly and sorted it. As soon as I got home from collecting my car my offside headlight was full of condensation.

The garage won't accept that it was anything to do with them and went as far as to say that it was a common, known problem with S40 headlights.

So how common is it I had never had a problem with the lights until I got it checked and have never noticed any others with lights full of condensation. Anyone else got condensation in their lights.

Alan
alfiembra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 23:52   #2
stevo48
Premier Member

look here, http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...p+condensation
stevo48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 01:01   #3
S4T

Hi Alan
Sorry to hear about your headlight troubles.
I too have similar issues as mentioned in a previous thread that was posted a month ago. What year is your S40?
I am a 2005 S40 driver. This condensation issue will now become more obvious as the damp cold wet winter weather is arriving here in ireland...similar conditions to your own area scotland. Let me know if you managed to sort it out.
Regards
Will
S4T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 07:35   #4
alfiembra

Hi Will mine is also an 05 plate, I didn't get anywhere with the dealer, I asked for an exchange light unit but he wasn't accepting any responsibilty for the problem. He kept quoting the 'it's a known problem' line, he also said there was a technical note from Volvo on the issue but when challenged would not let me see it saying it was confidential and he could not let me read it.

Tough luck basically wont accept they caused the problem and are not prepared to do anything about it.

Alan
alfiembra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 20:47   #5
S4T

Hi Alan
Sorry again to hear that you have had no luck in sorting the problem.
I bought my '05 S40 last february. It was just over 2 years old. the car came with a 6 months parts and labour warranty from garage. So it was 2 months into owning car I noticed the condensation problems on both headlights. The garage replaced both units / brand new from Volvo. All was fine until a month or so ago when the weather got damp and cold that I noticed slight traces of fogging over again. Been in touch with Volvo aftersales directly. They informed me to take car to local Volvo garage to be inspected on a day when condensation is bad. They will send photos etc to Volvo warranty dept. to see if the lights are defective etc. They like you have told me that they have not encountered this before etc...which is crap really as this has been an issue for new body S40 drivers. A completely new headlight design was introduced late '07 which I believe addressed defects that existed in earlier headlight design.
I am not sure what the final outcome of my situation will be.......
I will keep forum posted I guess...I am glad in a weird way that I am not alone at least..
Regards
Will
S4T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 12:48   #6
kklo

I haven't seen your headlights but from what i know in general all lights should have a breathing mechanism i have seen two types a tube like a straw going up and then turning down to prevent incoming moisture and a sponge like block. Its natural for moisture to come inside the light together with the air and no light is sealed because due to the heating from the bulb the air volume changes significantly. The normal cycle is that some moisture comes inside anyway when you switch off and then comes out when you turn on the lights and heat rises. You should find what is blocking the last. In my experience in my fathers Toyota a spider net blocked a hole and the headlight was full of water, after cleaning no problem again
kklo is offline   Reply With Quote